'Polish Atkins diet'

Jim Chinnis wrote:

> "Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD" <[email protected]> wrote in part:
>
> >Pizza Girl wrote:
> >>
> >> Jim,
> >> Ever think that the low carb diet less hunger effect is because of less
> >> grain gluten?
> >>
> >> These are classic celiac effects. I wonder if studies have been done to
> >> connect.

> >Rice does not have gluten and brings back hunger so it is most likely
> >the ketones that suppresses appetite.

> I think there are too many things affected by "low-carb" that
> aren't understood. I'm not even sure we are asking the right
> questions.
>
> I also suspect this may vary a lot due to genetics.
>
> I am affected by how much high-glycemic-index carbohydrate I eat.
> On days when that segment makes up a higher proportion of my
> calories, my total calories are higher. That doesn't prove
> causality, but I also seem MUCH more successful at keeping weight
> off when I watch my carbs than when I watch my fats.
>
> I just don't think the needed research has been done.

Actually there has been much research showing that ketones are
anorexigenic both in animals and in humans (ketogenic diets were once
"popular" for suppressing seizures).

At His service,

Andrew

--
Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD
Board-Certified Cardiologist

**
Suggested Reading:
(1) http://makeashorterlink.com/?L26062048
(2) http://makeashorterlink.com/?O2F325D1A
(3) http://makeashorterlink.com/?X1C62661A
(4) http://makeashorterlink.com/?U1E13130A
(5) http://makeashorterlink.com/?K6F72510A
(6) http://makeashorterlink.com/?I24E5151A
(7) http://makeashorterlink.com/?I22222129

Jim Chinnis wrote:

> "Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD" <[email protected]> wrote in part:
>
> >Pizza Girl wrote:
> >>
> >> Jim,
> >> Ever think that the low carb diet less hunger effect is because of less
> >> grain gluten?
> >>
> >> These are classic celiac effects. I wonder if studies have been done to
> >> connect.

> >Rice does not have gluten and brings back hunger so it is most likely
> >the ketones that suppresses appetite.

> I think there are too many things affected by "low-carb" that
> aren't understood. I'm not even sure we are asking the right
> questions.
>
> I also suspect this may vary a lot due to genetics.
>
> I am affected by how much high-glycemic-index carbohydrate I eat.
> On days when that segment makes up a higher proportion of my
> calories, my total calories are higher. That doesn't prove
> causality, but I also seem MUCH more successful at keeping weight
> off when I watch my carbs than when I watch my fats.
>
> I just don't think the needed research has been done.

Actually there has been much research showing that ketones are
anorexigenic both in animals and in humans (ketogenic diets were once
"popular" for suppressing seizures).

At His service,

Andrew

--
Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD
Board-Certified Cardiologist

**
Suggested Reading:
(1) http://makeashorterlink.com/?L26062048
(2) http://makeashorterlink.com/?O2F325D1A
(3) http://makeashorterlink.com/?X1C62661A
(4) http://makeashorterlink.com/?U1E13130A
(5) http://makeashorterlink.com/?K6F72510A
(6) http://makeashorterlink.com/?I24E5151A
(7) http://makeashorterlink.com/?I22222129

"Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD" <[email protected]> wrote in part:

>Jim Chinnis wrote:

>> >Rice does not have gluten and brings back hunger so it is most likely
>> >the ketones that suppresses appetite.

>> I think there are too many things affected by "low-carb" that
>> aren't understood. I'm not even sure we are asking the right
>> questions.
>>
>> I also suspect this may vary a lot due to genetics.
>>
>> I am affected by how much high-glycemic-index carbohydrate I eat.
>> On days when that segment makes up a higher proportion of my
>> calories, my total calories are higher. That doesn't prove
>> causality, but I also seem MUCH more successful at keeping weight
>> off when I watch my carbs than when I watch my fats.
>>
>> I just don't think the needed research has been done.

>Actually there has been much research showing that ketones are
>anorexigenic both in animals and in humans (ketogenic diets were once
>"popular" for suppressing seizures).

My diet is nowhere close to ketogenic.
--
Jim Chinnis Warrenton, Virginia, USA

"Jim Chinnis" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD" <[email protected]> wrote in part:
>
> >Jim Chinnis wrote:

less

> >> I think there are too many things affected by "low-carb" that
> >> aren't understood. I'm not even sure we are asking the right
> >> questions.
> >>
> >> I also suspect this may vary a lot due to genetics.
> >>
> >> I am affected by how much high-glycemic-index carbohydrate I eat.
> >> On days when that segment makes up a higher proportion of my
> >> calories, my total calories are higher. That doesn't prove
> >> causality, but I also seem MUCH more successful at keeping weight
> >> off when I watch my carbs than when I watch my fats.
> >>
> >> I just don't think the needed research has been done.

> >Actually there has been much research showing that ketones are
> >anorexigenic both in animals and in humans (ketogenic diets were once
> >"popular" for suppressing seizures).

> My diet is nowhere close to ketogenic.
> --
> Jim Chinnis Warrenton, Virginia, USA

One can always tell when in ketosis. People will look at your funny, snarl
and back up. Your breath smells like you been spray painting with your
mouth.

"Jim Chinnis" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD" <[email protected]> wrote in part:
>
>>Pizza Girl wrote:
>>>
>>> Jim,
>>> Ever think that the low carb diet less hunger effect is because of less
>>> grain gluten?
>>>
>>> These are classic celiac effects. I wonder if studies have been done to
>>> connect.

>>Rice does not have gluten and brings back hunger so it is most likely
>>the ketones that suppresses appetite.

> I think there are too many things affected by "low-carb" that
> aren't understood. I'm not even sure we are asking the right
> questions.
>
> I also suspect this may vary a lot due to genetics.
>
> I am affected by how much high-glycemic-index carbohydrate I eat.
> On days when that segment makes up a higher proportion of my
> calories, my total calories are higher. That doesn't prove
> causality, but I also seem MUCH more successful at keeping weight
> off when I watch my carbs than when I watch my fats.
>
> I just don't think the needed research has been done.

Fully agree. For example, when the kids were small, I found that having
string cheese, beef jerkey, and other 'protein snacks' on hand after lots of
Halloween candy brought them back to normal more quickly after the candy
frenzy, then implosion into tears.

I have often wondered, also, about how the plunge in blood sugar after the
short term high on high-glycemic-index carbohydrates so closely resembles
feelings of stress and anxiety. A bit more carb smooths out that jittery
shaky anxious feeling so well that, when actual stress and anxiety appears
in life, people tend to try to eat their way out of it. Thereby, by
superimposing the blood sugar roller coaster, further amplifying the
confusion.

With the high protein some fat diet, eschewing high-glycemic-index
carbohydrates, there is no such masquerading of food as a calming influence,
it is simply fuel.

Sharon Hope wrote:

> "Jim Chinnis" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...

> >>Rice does not have gluten and brings back hunger so it is most likely
> >>the ketones that suppresses appetite.

> > I think there are too many things affected by "low-carb" that
> > aren't understood. I'm not even sure we are asking the right
> > questions.
> >
> > I also suspect this may vary a lot due to genetics.
> >
> > I am affected by how much high-glycemic-index carbohydrate I eat.
> > On days when that segment makes up a higher proportion of my
> > calories, my total calories are higher. That doesn't prove
> > causality, but I also seem MUCH more successful at keeping weight
> > off when I watch my carbs than when I watch my fats.
> >
> > I just don't think the needed research has been done.

> Fully agree. For example, when the kids were small, I found that having
> string cheese, beef jerkey, and other 'protein snacks' on hand after lots of
> Halloween candy brought them back to normal more quickly after the candy
> frenzy, then implosion into tears.
>
> I have often wondered, also, about how the plunge in blood sugar after the
> short term high on high-glycemic-index carbohydrates so closely resembles
> feelings of stress and anxiety. A bit more carb smooths out that jittery
> shaky anxious feeling so well that, when actual stress and anxiety appears
> in life, people tend to try to eat their way out of it. Thereby, by
> superimposing the blood sugar roller coaster, further amplifying the
> confusion.
>
> With the high protein some fat diet, eschewing high-glycemic-index
> carbohydrates, there is no such masquerading of food as a calming influence,
> it is simply fuel.

Ime, the "calming influences" of food arise from it "chasing away the
hunger" that many people fear.

Deuteronomy 8:3

At His service,

Andrew

--

Pizza Girl wrote:

> "Jim Chinnis" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...

> less

> > >Actually there has been much research showing that ketones are
> > >anorexigenic both in animals and in humans (ketogenic diets were once
> > >"popular" for suppressing seizures).

> > My diet is nowhere close to ketogenic.
> > --
> > Jim Chinnis Warrenton, Virginia, USA

> One can always tell when in ketosis. People will look at your funny, snarl
> and back up. Your breath smells like you been spray painting with your
> mouth.

Not here on Usenet :)

At His service,

Andrew

--

Jim Chinnis wrote:

> "Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD" <[email protected]> wrote in part:
>
> >Jim Chinnis wrote:

> >> I think there are too many things affected by "low-carb" that
> >> aren't understood. I'm not even sure we are asking the right
> >> questions.
> >>
> >> I also suspect this may vary a lot due to genetics.
> >>
> >> I am affected by how much high-glycemic-index carbohydrate I eat.
> >> On days when that segment makes up a higher proportion of my
> >> calories, my total calories are higher. That doesn't prove
> >> causality, but I also seem MUCH more successful at keeping weight
> >> off when I watch my carbs than when I watch my fats.
> >>
> >> I just don't think the needed research has been done.

> >Actually there has been much research showing that ketones are
> >anorexigenic both in animals and in humans (ketogenic diets were once
> >"popular" for suppressing seizures).

> My diet is nowhere close to ketogenic.

Low carb diets are closer to ketogenic than "normal" carb diets.

At His service,

Andrew

--
Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD
Board-Certified Cardiologist

**
Suggested Reading:
(1) http://makeashorterlink.com/?L26062048
(2) http://makeashorterlink.com/?O2F325D1A
(3) http://makeashorterlink.com/?X1C62661A
(4) http://makeashorterlink.com/?U1E13130A
(5) http://makeashorterlink.com/?K6F72510A
(6) http://makeashorterlink.com/?I24E5151A
(7) http://makeashorterlink.com/?I22222129

"Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD" <[email protected]> wrote in part:

>Jim Chinnis wrote:

>> >Actually there has been much research showing that ketones are
>> >anorexigenic both in animals and in humans (ketogenic diets were once
>> >"popular" for suppressing seizures).

>> My diet is nowhere close to ketogenic.

>Low carb diets are closer to ketogenic than "normal" carb diets.

I'm not on what most people would consider low carb. Does
"closer" count when carbs still make up 40% of one's calories? I
was talking about the difference I experience in weight gain when
I consume high-glycemic index carbs, not proportionately more
carbs.
--

Jim Chinnis wrote:

> "Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD" <[email protected]> wrote in part:
>
> >Jim Chinnis wrote:

> >> My diet is nowhere close to ketogenic.

> >Low carb diets are closer to ketogenic than "normal" carb diets.

> I'm not on what most people would consider low carb. Does
> "closer" count when carbs still make up 40% of one's calories?

No.

> was talking about the difference I experience in weight gain when
> I consume high-glycemic index carbs, not proportionately more
> carbs.

High-glycemic index carbs would have less grain gluten not *more*.

At His service,

Andrew

--

Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD wrote:
> Jim Chinnis wrote:

part:

because of less

been done to

most likely

eat.

weight

were once

> > >Low carb diets are closer to ketogenic than "normal" carb diets.

> > I'm not on what most people would consider low carb. Does
> > "closer" count when carbs still make up 40% of one's calories?

> No.

> > was talking about the difference I experience in weight gain when
> > I consume high-glycemic index carbs, not proportionately more
> > carbs.

> High-glycemic index carbs would have less grain gluten not *more*.

That is 100% board certifiable ******** with a capital B.

Do you homework quackboy. Your abject ignorance in the field of
nutrition is showing.

TC

TC wrote:

> Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD wrote:
> > Jim Chinnis wrote:

> part:

> because of less

> been done to

> most likely

> eat.

> weight

> were once

> > > I'm not on what most people would consider low carb. Does
> > > "closer" count when carbs still make up 40% of one's calories?

> > No.

> > > was talking about the difference I experience in weight gain when
> > > I consume high-glycemic index carbs, not proportionately more
> > > carbs.

> > High-glycemic index carbs would have less grain gluten not *more*.
> >

> That is 100% board certifiable ******** with a capital B.
>
> Do you homework quackboy. Your abject ignorance in the field of
> nutrition is showing.

In truth, glucose solutions have the highest glycemic index and contain
no grain gluten.

q.e.d.

At His service,

Andrew

--
Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD
Board-Certified Cardiologist

**
Suggested Reading:
(1) http://makeashorterlink.com/?L26062048
(2) http://makeashorterlink.com/?O2F325D1A
(3) http://makeashorterlink.com/?X1C62661A
(4) http://makeashorterlink.com/?U1E13130A
(5) http://makeashorterlink.com/?K6F72510A
(6) http://makeashorterlink.com/?I24E5151A
(7) http://makeashorterlink.com/?I22222129

"Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD" <[email protected]> wrote in part:

>Jim Chinnis wrote:

>> >Low carb diets are closer to ketogenic than "normal" carb diets.

>> I'm not on what most people would consider low carb. Does
>> "closer" count when carbs still make up 40% of one's calories?

>No.

>> was talking about the difference I experience in weight gain when
>> I consume high-glycemic index carbs, not proportionately more
>> carbs.

>High-glycemic index carbs would have less grain gluten not *more*.

Sometimes, but that seems like a nonsequitor. I hadn't mentioned
grain gluten. Are you hypothesizing that grain gluten reduces my
appetite and is higher in my diet when I eat low GI? If so, why?
--

Jim Chinnis wrote:

> "Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD" <[email protected]> wrote in part:
>
> >Jim Chinnis wrote:

> >> I'm not on what most people would consider low carb. Does
> >> "closer" count when carbs still make up 40% of one's calories?

> >No.

> >> was talking about the difference I experience in weight gain when
> >> I consume high-glycemic index carbs, not proportionately more
> >> carbs.

> >High-glycemic index carbs would have less grain gluten not *more*.

> Sometimes,

In truth, this is the rule. Whole grain breads, which have a lower
"glycemic index," will have one of the highest amounts of grain gluten.

So if anything, gluten would be associated with appetite suppression in
your case.

At His service,

Andrew

--
Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD
Board-Certified Cardiologist

**
Suggested Reading:
(1) http://makeashorterlink.com/?L26062048
(2) http://makeashorterlink.com/?O2F325D1A
(3) http://makeashorterlink.com/?X1C62661A
(4) http://makeashorterlink.com/?U1E13130A
(5) http://makeashorterlink.com/?K6F72510A
(6) http://makeashorterlink.com/?I24E5151A
(7) http://makeashorterlink.com/?I22222129

>> >High-glycemic index carbs would have less grain gluten not *more*.

>> Sometimes,

>In truth, this is the rule. Whole grain breads, which have a lower
>"glycemic index," will have one of the highest amounts of grain gluten.
>
>So if anything, gluten would be associated with appetite suppression in
>your case.

Not at all. I consume almost no grains. My low-GI carbs are from
fruit and fresh vegetables. I have a little whole grain (usu rye)
each day at breakfast, but that's a constant and doesn't vary.
--

Jim Chinnis wrote:

> >> Sometimes,

> >In truth, this is the rule. Whole grain breads, which have a lower
> >"glycemic index," will have one of the highest amounts of grain gluten.
> >
> >So if anything, gluten would be associated with appetite suppression in
> >your case.

> Not at all. I consume almost no grains. My low-GI carbs are from
> fruit and fresh vegetables.

Actually, many fruits are high-GI.

At His service,

Andrew

--
Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD
Board-Certified Cardiologist

**
Suggested Reading:
(1) http://makeashorterlink.com/?L26062048
(2) http://makeashorterlink.com/?O2F325D1A
(3) http://makeashorterlink.com/?X1C62661A
(4) http://makeashorterlink.com/?U1E13130A
(5) http://makeashorterlink.com/?K6F72510A
(6) http://makeashorterlink.com/?I24E5151A
(7) http://makeashorterlink.com/?I22222129

"Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD" <[email protected]> wrote in part:

>Jim Chinnis wrote:

>> >In truth, this is the rule. Whole grain breads, which have a lower
>> >"glycemic index," will have one of the highest amounts of grain gluten.
>> >
>> >So if anything, gluten would be associated with appetite suppression in
>> >your case.

>> Not at all. I consume almost no grains. My low-GI carbs are from
>> fruit and fresh vegetables.

>Actually, many fruits are high-GI.

I eat relatively low-GI fruits. They sure aren't loaded with
gluten...
--
Jim Chinnis Warrenton, Virginia, USA

Celiacs are usually constantly hungry and eat too much even though they feel
bloated.

Malnutrition via malabsorption.

news:p[email protected]...

Pizza Girl schreef:
> One can always tell when in ketosis. People will look at your funny, snarl
> and back up. Your breath smells like you been spray painting with your
> mouth.

That doesn't happen to everyone. I used to be in ketosis (I checked with
test strips) when I was on Atkins, but I didn't get bad breath.

Berna
--
( )_( ) Berna M. Bleeker-Slikker
/ . . \ [email protected]

Berna Bleeker wrote:

> Pizza Girl schreef:
> > One can always tell when in ketosis. People will look at your funny, snarl
> > and back up. Your breath smells like you been spray painting with your
> > mouth.

> That doesn't happen to everyone. I used to be in ketosis (I checked with
> test strips) when I was on Atkins, but I didn't get bad breath.

Yep.

At His service,

Andrew