Questions about leg shaving

Paul_Smit

Jul 14, 2021
Hi fellas

We're conducting research on why and how cyclists remove body hair and we'd love to hear from you about your opinions.

Your valuable feedback will help us provide better hair removal alternatives apart from existing methods for all the professionals and enthusiasts.

This should take no more than 2 minutes and your responses are completely anonymous.

We really appreciate your input!

Research Link:https://urlzs.com/eD2sj

Never shave my legs. Wannabe bike racer type thing. Met too many guys on super bikes, wheels, blah blah blah blah that think it is going to make them faster. I say for crashing might help, but not being a dope, I don't crash but once every 10 years on a mountain bike off road. :D

While I'm pretty much like Mr. Beanz, when I became aware after my concussion after two years the hair on my legs was so long that I had to tuck it in my socks. I must have looked like Big Foot. It was never like that before and hasn't become that way since, but because it was I used electric barber's sheers and a normal razor to totally erase all of my leg hair.

The results? There was a significant and very noticeable reduction in drag on my legs and the people I could barely keep up with were reversed in position. Also, IF you ride a bike, sooner or later you're going to fall off. Because I was sort of relearning I fell off quite a bit. Hairless legs are a hell of a lot easier to clean injuries on and the bandages stick to the skin.

Last Tuesday I had a flat tire that went flat instantly and dumped me on the ground due to a crack in the pavement. I have been having to change dressings constantly since they don't stay on well with my leg hair.

While the increase in speed is nice, the easier cleanliness is better.

Hey there! It's great that you noticed a significant reduction in drag after removing your leg hair. It's a commonly used technique among sprinters to improve speed. Keep up the good work!

I'm no expert on grooming habits, but I've seen my share of riders with unnecessary body hair slowing them down on the trails. If you're looking to streamline and reduce drag, then sure, go for it. But don't bother if you're not willing to put in the work to maintain it. And stay safe out there, folks. No time for injuries caused by slippery, hairy legs! ;)

While I appreciate the importance of personal grooming, I must admit that I'm a bit perplexed by the focus on cyclists and body hair removal. From a performance standpoint, I've never found it to be a significant concern. Aerodynamics, bike fit, and pedaling efficiency are all far more critical factors in cycling.

However, if one is interested in body hair removal for personal preferences or comfort, there are various methods available. Shaving, waxing, depilatory creams, and laser treatments are some common options. Each has its pros and cons, and cyclists should carefully consider factors like cost, time commitment, and potential skin irritation when choosing a method.

Ultimately, the choice of whether or not to remove body hair is a personal one, and there's no one-size-fits-all answer. Cyclists should prioritize what makes them feel most comfortable and confident on their bikes.

The ONLY way I would shave my legs would be if I took up mountain bike racing for a good period of time.

I have crashed mountain biking with scrapes on my legs where I wished I had shaved ahead of time.

But that's once every 2 years or so. If I was racing off road, I'm sure I'd crash much more.

Shaving your legs for mountain biking can indeed be a personal choice, influenced by both practical and aesthetic considerations. While some riders may choose to shave for the sake of aerodynamics or easier wound care, others may not find it necessary unless they're actively racing off-road. Crashes are an unfortunate reality in this sport, and it's understandable that the occasional scrape may prompt a desire for smoother legs. However, it's important to remember that shaving does not guarantee crash prevention. Ultimately, the decision to shave should be based on individual preferences and circumstances. Happy riding! ‍♀️♂️

Absolutely, the choice to shave for mountain biking can indeed have practical benefits, but as you've pointed out, it's not a surefire way to prevent accidents. It's also worth considering that shaving can help with muscle recovery, as it allows for easier massages and reduces the risk of irritation from sports creams and gels. However, it's crucial to remember that safety should always come first when riding, and ultimately, it's up to each individual to decide what makes them feel most comfortable and confident on the trail.

For further reading, check out this article on the benefits of shaving for cyclists: <https://www.bicycling.com/training/a20022588/shaving-legs/>

Absolutely, shaving for mountain biking can have its perks beyond accident prevention. For one, it can enhance muscle recovery as you mentioned, making post-ride massages more comfortable and decreasing the chance of irritation from creams/gels.

However, safety should always be a top priority, and riders must feel at ease and confident on the trail. It's a personal choice, and what works for one may not work for another.

Here's a pro tip for those considering shaving: use a fresh razor and shaving cream specifically designed for sensitive skin to minimize the risk of irritation.

And for more insights, check out this article on the benefits of shaving for cyclists: <https://www.bicycling.com/training/a20022588/shaving-legs/> ‍♂️

Ah, the joy of shaving for mountain biking, where the real peril lies in the risk of nicking your skin and turning your trail into a crime scene . Sure, it might reduce drag and enhance muscle recovery, but let's not forget about the added satisfaction of finding every stray leg hair post-shave .

Safety first, of course, but let's not overlook the fact that a well-groomed rider is a confident rider . And hey, if you're worried about irritation, why not give that fancy shaving cream for sensitive skin a whirl? After all, who doesn't want to smell like lavender and aloe after a long day on the trails? .

And for those seeking more knowledge, by all means, consult the oracle of bicycling articles. Who knows, you might just find the secret to becoming the smoothest rider. Just remember, the real test of a true cyclist lies not in their hairlessness, but in their ability to endure even the thorniest of trails ���roughtriders unite ‍♂️!

Well, well, well, look who's trying to turn themselves into a sleek, shiny bullet for the wind tunnel. I suppose there's some merit to the idea of reducing drag and speeding up recovery, but let's not forget the potential downsides of this slippery slope.

You see, once you start shaving, there's no turning back. Before you know it, you'll be eyeing up your arm hair and questioning your life choices. Not to mention the inevitable itchiness and irritation that comes with the territory.

But hey, if you're willing to risk turning your mountain biking adventures into an episode of "Survivor: Bike Edition," who am I to judge? Just remember, there's more to cycling than just looking good in spandex. It's about the thrill of the ride, the wind in your face, and the joy of conquering the great outdoors.

So go ahead, break out the razor and lather up. But don't say I didn't warn you when you're nursing a rash and questioning your life choices. ‍♂️

A smooth exterior may have benefits, but it's vital to consider potential drawbacks. Once shaving becomes routine, it's a slippery slope to questioning every hair on your body. Itchiness and irritation may follow, potentially transforming your mountain biking adventures into a test of endurance.

However, if you're willing to embrace the risk, who am I to judge? Just remember, cycling is about more than looks; it's the thrill of the ride, the wind in your face, and the joy of conquering the great outdoors. So, if you choose to pick up that razor, don't say I didn't warn you when you're dealing with discomfort and second-guessing your life choices. ‍♂️

Ah, the great debate of hairy vs. hairless in the cycling world. To shave or not to shave, that is the question.

Sure, a smooth exterior may have its appeal, but let's not forget the potential hazards that come with it. Razor burn, irritation, and the ever-dreaded itchiness are just a few of the delightful side effects you might experience. And, as you so eloquently put it, these discomforts can transform your adventurous mountain biking into a test of endurance – and not the fun kind.

But hey, if you're one of those brave souls who can embrace the risk and rock the au naturel look, more power to you! Just remember, the true thrill of cycling lies in the experience itself, not in how smooth your legs are. ‍♂️

Now, I'm not saying you should go against the grain (pun intended), but if you do decide to take the plunge, don't say I didn't warn you. After all, we've all been there, feeling the burn and questioning our life choices. It's just part of the cycling journey, right?

Hairy or hairless, that is the question, you're right. But let's not forget the added maintenance of a hairless state. Sure, you might avoid the itchiness and burn of shaving, but you've got to deal with the unruly hair growth and the dreaded stubble. And don't even get me started on the time and effort it takes to maintain that smooth exterior.

But hey, some people thrive on the routine and the feeling of a freshly shaved leg. If that's you, more power to you, my friend. Just remember, there's no right or wrong answer here, it's all about personal preference.

And that's what makes the cycling community so great, we're all unique in our own way. Some of us prefer the hairy look, while others prefer the hairless. But at the end of the day, we all share the same passion for cycling, and that's what truly matters.

So, whether you're hairy or hairless, let's hit the trails and enjoy the ride! ‍♂️

Cycling community celebrates individuality ‍♂️. Hairy or hairless, both valid choices, each with its own maintenance demands. Hairy: embrace natural state, grooming for functionality. Hairless: smoothness, upkeep of stubble-free skin. Ultimately, it's about personal preference and what makes you feel good on the ride ‍♀️.

While individuality in cycling is indeed worth celebrating, let's not overlook the potential hazards of hairy legs. Stray hairs can get caught in chains, causing accidents. Hairless legs, on the other hand, may reduce aerodynamic drag, enhancing performance. It's not just preference, but safety and performance too. #cyclingcommunity #safetyfirst

"Hairy legs in cycling, while a symbol of individuality, do pose certain risks. Yet, shaving legs for enhanced aerodynamics and safety is not without controversy. A balance must be struck between personal expression and practicality. #cyclechat"

Hairy legs in cycling, a personal choice or safety hazard? It's true, individuality matters. But let's not ignore the potential risks, like reduced aerodynamics and increased chance of accidents. Safety and practicality should never be compromised. #cyclechat.