Questions about year round intensity and junior training

whoawhoa

Oct 28, 2004
I have a few questions. My first one is about year round intensity, I guess this one is pretty specifically for Ric, or anyone with similar training ideals. Ric, in an answer on cyclingnews.com you said that in winter you would have intensity slightly lower for some riders, but just as high for others. My main weakneases are sprinting and short, anaerobic efforts, so am I a rider that should have a lot of high intensity during the winter?

My other question regards my age. I'm 15. Can a lot of miles do any damage to my growth? What would be anyones suggestions on maximum hours per day and week. Also, does anyone know how much national and international level junior cyclists train?

A lot of high intensiti during the winter is never good, because you will "burn" too early in the season! Aerobic is enough! But of course, if you just started cycling and if you`re not as good as your team mates or just your cycling friends (as old as you are of course..) and you want to make up, you must train more!

Sure, a lot of miles can damage your health! You`re U-17 category and normal rides are about 90 km and not more than 300-400 per week in the middle of the season(I don`t know exactly, that`s approximately how much are u-15s from our club doing). They had about 12 000 km at the end of the season (majority from march till october).

Get a training program! At least for orientation how much to do!

Thanks for your answer Virenque, I appreciate the time.

I think you may have misunderstood my first question a bit. I am familiar with the normal "Base" or only aerobic period, and I know that is what many cyclists follow. But both in articles and on this forum, people like Ric Stern have praised year round intensity training, and I have become interested in this. I was wondering what it would include.

As far as mileage, I'm currently doing about 13-14 hours a week. does that sound close to what the U-17's on your team are doing during season? (we have warm winters, and can train all year) And how often would you say that they do intervals?