Questions we don't want to answer again

An idea could perhaps be to have an "advanced" section or a part where you explicitly state that newbie questions do not belong? I have seen this in a photography forum where they have a PRO section, it works ok I think.

Claes said:
An idea could perhaps be to have an "advanced" section or a part where you explicitly state that newbie questions do not belong? I have seen this in a photography forum where they have a PRO section, it works ok I think.
sounds too much like a litmus test to me. Those inevitably turn out to be baaaaad

Velo Serg, sorry if you don't think this is helpful, here's to hoping that we could help out those new people by putting together a list of frequently asked questions. I had hoped we could save both sides time and get some thoughtful responses, i.e. there is no "best" bike, a bike serves a purpose, if it serves your purpose it's a good bike. This thread is not going to be that helpful but do you think an faq would be helpful?
I love talking to people about bicycles and racing and training. But I feel like I'm doing someone an injustice by telling them something that may not apply to them at all. I mean if someone asks if a certain tire flats easily I see if I've ridden the tire, try to remember how many flats I got while riding it and how they were caused and I say "I flatted twice with these tires over 6 months, but one was from glass all over the road, so they seemed to work pretty well for me, but I'd say they wore a little quicker than this other tire." I guess I'm just worried that we're misguiding these people, not because we want to be mean but because they're asking questions that are impossible to answer without knowing them.

Kind of unrelated, people does it make sense to tell me "You can't say that, people can say whatever they want." That sounds a little more obnoxious when I see it concisely stated like that.

Edit: Almost 20% of posts in this forum go unanswered.

Not to mention the granddaddy of 'tedious threads':

Which seatpost is better - carbon or aluminum?

Answer: go search the forum. When you find the thread in question, you'll learn why you shouldn't ask that question...

Q: What are the best shoes?
A: Impossible to answer; how much cash, wide foot, narrow foot, high arch, etc.

Here's my .02 USD, a newbie doesn't know it's a dumb question until they get more experienced. Fair enough. I believe what we are saying is before asking a newbie question, check here ... it's probably already been answered. That saves everyone time. Good for the newbie cuz everything is in one location, great for the folks looking for more advanced issues. A true win-win situation. I doubt anyone is trying to discourage questions from being asked, just trying to make it more efficient for all.

hwttdz said:
I don't mean to be mean I'm just tired of reading posts asking the same question and then people telling them to bugger off, so hopefully if you're tired of a post you can post here and then they can come look here rather than starting that again. I'll start.

Question: What bike should I buy?
Answer: Ask your local bike shop (lbs).

Added: And go talk to your lbs is a pretty good question about most things. And find an lbs you like.

Don't want to debate the issue but consider one thing,well two things (1) You have heard the question a 100 times but (2) It is the first time they have asked.

Maybe this should have been titled "FAQs: Those new to the forum look here" which is not as hostile/snobbish.

Hybrid or Road Bike?

Depends on what you're willing to spend, what kind of riding you're doing, and ultimately which one is more comfortable to you.

That's a good idea. "faqs: those new to the forum look here" who could we get to write it though. And what questions would it have?

hwttdz said:
That's a good idea. "faqs: those new to the forum look here" who could we get to write it though. And what questions would it have?
Why not have the Forum do a Sticky
and have someone gather the most ask questions with good answers
call it the Beginers FAQ and Read before Posting

So far it looks like we have

What bike should I buy?
Is bike weight important?
What's the best bike under 1000$
What is better Campy or Shimano?
Double or Triple?
Hybrid or road bike?

If you feel like there is another question, since I just took some of the ones from this thread, add it.

hwttdz said:

What bike should I buy?
Double or Triple?
Hybrid or road bike?

If you feel like there is another question, since I just took some of the ones from this thread, add it.

What Frame Size do I need?
or that could be covered under "Is bike weight important?"

What seat should I have?

Whatever's the most comfortable to you. Just because 90% of (pro) riders like one saddle doesn't automatically make it the right one for you.

TechJD said:
I can beleive you all missed "What Size Frame should I get"
here's one:
Q:I want a road bike but, I want it to be comfortable.
A:Roadbike & comfortable cannot be in the same sentence.Consider hybrid
Hybrid: comfort- sacrifice speed
Road: speed - sacrifice comfort

Us noobs might not know as much as the vets on this board, or be as fast, but at least we spend more time riding than we do reading a bike forum -- whoever started this thread needs a life, who the f cares if people post messages you don't want to read on the forum? Don't f'in read it dumbass. You tell us to use the search button, well you need to refrain from the [mouse] button

sparknote_s said:
Us noobs might not know as much as the vets on this board, or be as fast, but at least we spend more time riding than we do reading a bike forum -- whoever started this thread needs a life, who the f cares if people post messages you don't want to read on the forum? Don't f'in read it dumbass. You tell us to use the search button, well you need to refrain from the [mouse] button
seems like you went out of your way to bash the posters in this thread. Don't get your panties in an uproar !!! Nobody seems 2 b belittleing anyone, just posting basic facts which may b of use to others.One does'nt have 2 b a pro or a vet 2 have a basic working knowledge of bicycle setup. Read some of the previous posts relating 2 your concern a couple of pages back.

hwttdz said:

What bike should I buy?
Double or Triple?
Hybrid or road bike?

frame material
pedal type ?

oops :confused: :( its not out fault.......its the buzzzz from starting a new thread!!!!
lol, maybe ...im sure you all did it once :)

sparknote_s said:
Hey I fairly new here myself
I just thought a sticky would be helpfull
save me time and any other newbies
I'm not a newbie as far a bikes go but to this fourm :)