Rabobank confirm Renshaw signing

swampy1970

Feb 3, 2008
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/rabobank-confirm-renshaw-signing
Australian leaves HTC, Cavendish behind

The Rabobank team has announced it has signed Mark Renshaw for 2012 and 2013 to bolster its roster of sprinters.

The highly regarded Australian has played a key role in helping Mark Cavendish dominate the sprints in the last three years but will work with Theo Bos and fellow Australian Michael Matthews in the future, as well as getting more opportunities to win himself.

"For many years I helped others to win races, now I'm going to try some of the biggest competitions to win myself. Rabobank cycling team is one of the most professional teams with a solid structure, so I have goals to pursue. I look forward to sharing my experience, helping Theo Bos and Rabobank. "
Renshaw follows in the footstep of Robbie McEwen, Greame Brown and Michael Matthews, Australians who have raced or who are racing for Rabobank.

"Renshaw has excellent qualities, extensive experience in sprint field, may in addition to attracting the sprint own gain. The fact that the initiative comes from Renshaw did says a lot about the esteem in which riders for our team," said Rabobank director Erik Breukink.

Theo Bos welcomed the arrival of Renshaw: "Mark is the best leadout man in the world. I'm really thrilled that Renshaw has chosen to sign for us. The partnership with Mark will help me in my development."
Good news for Renshaw. I know he's said once or twice during the past 18 months that he'd like a bit of personal glory for himself and with Goss getting in the thick of the action and the new kid, Degenkolb, on HTC getting a bunch of wins in the Dauphine you could just sense the frustration at times...

... however that last comment by Bos somewhat clouds the thought that Renshaw will be a start sprinter on the team or lead out guy part two, to someone who packs a great sprint.

It'll be interesting to see how that situation settles as Bos has the sprint legs and Renshaw has the experience and on the road brains to get up the front.

What will this mean for Cav? Personally, I don't think it'll mean that much. Sure, Renshaw is an ace leadout guy and had the trust of Mark to get him to where he needed to be but during Cav's second tour, that netted four wins, Renshaw was Hushvods leadout guy and two years later following Renshaws disqualification Cav still netted three wins as many sprint stages.

Originally Posted by swampy1970 .

What will this mean for Cav? Personally, I don't think it'll mean that much. Sure, Renshaw is an ace leadout guy and had the trust of Mark to get him to where he needed to be but during Cav's second tour, that netted four wins, Renshaw was Hushvods leadout guy and two years later following Renshaws disqualification Cav still netted three wins as many sprint stages.
I think it will lead to fewer wins for Cav, but as you point out, he's shown that he has the ability to get to where he needs to be to win without Renshaw. With Renshaw leading out Cav, it was almost like HTC was cheating.