Racing photos?

Pendejo

Apr 8, 2006
I'd love to see photos of some of you studs in action. Here's one of me (I hope this works), in a recent time trial. If it appears that my wheels are off the ground, it's because they were: I've found that you go faster that way.

tonyzackery said:
Several over the past couple years I've been racing...

Tony, in that first photo you're making like Usain Bolt - you're leading the pack by so much you can sit up and smile at the camera before you even hit the finish line.

Pendejo said:
Tony, in that first photo you're making like Usain Bolt - you're leading the pack by so much you can sit up and smile at the camera before you even hit the finish line.
LOL! I know I could take offense to that comment, but I won't:D . That shot was very early on in the race - a club training crit - nowhere near the finish line...

Here's one close to the line...

tonyzackery said:
LOL! I know I could take offense to that comment, but I won't:D . That shot was very early on in the race - a club training crit - nowhere near the finish line...

Here's one close to the line...

Looks like nothing much changed.

First turn in the first race last year, and last turn before my first win (same race).:)

Piotr said:
First turn in the first race last year, and last turn before my first win (same race).:)

It looks cold out there, Piotr. What month would that have been? Then again, I'm in Florida and for my ride today I had to wear tights and a long-sleeve jersey over my t-shirt.

Pendejo said:
If it appears that my wheels are off the ground, it's because they were: I've found that you go faster that way.
Cool thread, but that looks like a photoshop unless the shadows somehow disappeared from the extreme speed. :)

My favorite win and a cyclocross shot:

frenchyge said:
Cool thread, but that looks like a photoshop unless the shadows somehow disappeared from the extreme speed. :)

No, Frenchy, they were there, but they finished three seconds behind me and took silver.

Pendejo said:
It looks cold out there, Piotr. What month would that have been? Then again, I'm in Florida and for my ride today I had to wear tights and a long-sleeve jersey over my t-shirt.
That would be March 2008. Hey, we're just happy to be riding outside. :)

Giving it some grief at some God forsaken early hour... Steel is real :cool:

TimeTrialMule.jpg

Noone actually said specifically what type of racing... So here's one of me cruising to the San Francisco Region SCCA Solo2 ST2 class championship. It's also the reason why I got fat.

SFRAutocross.jpg

Not exactly a racing photo but...

See no evil, speak no evil, feel no evil. Savoring a bite to eat at 8,700ft up Ebbetts pass after 12,000ft of climbing.
MS-Ebbetts1-Reststop.jpg

swampy1970 said:
Giving it some grief at some God forsaken early hour... Steel is real :cool:

TimeTrialMule.jpg

Noone actually said specifically what type of racing... So here's one of me cruising to the San Francisco Region SCCA Solo2 ST2 class championship. It's also the reason why I got fat.

SFRAutocross.jpg

Not exactly a racing photo but...

See no evil, speak no evil, feel no evil. Savoring a bite to eat at 8,700ft up Ebbetts pass after 12,000ft of climbing.
MS-Ebbetts1-Reststop.jpg

Neat photos, Swampy. I've got a Miata myself, '97, showroom condition. I love the car, and just wish I had roads around here (Florida) to let it loose a little. I also got my professional racecar driver certification from Skip Barber's school, at Sebring, and did a couple of races in his Formula Ford series. But I've never done autocross. And where is Ebbets Pass?

Ebbetts is on Highway 4 in Northern California, about 30 miles or so south of Lake Tahoe.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ebbetts_Pass

"Today, Ebbetts Pass is one of the least traveled passes in the Sierra Nevada. An extensive section of highway over the pass is less than two lanes with no dividing line. It has very steep sections with hairpin corners."

Less that two lanes wide, hairpins that are upto 24% and billiard table smooth roads = absolutely amazing descent. Damn good brakes required as there's a few blind bends with no warning signs telling of impending doom - ie no guard rails and in some places sheer drops of 2,000ft. :D Being a lard **** I get passed by a few on the climbs but catch a few hundred on the way down the 13 mile (21km) descent. There's always someone on the Deathride that bites it on the way down that descent and requires a $12,000 helicopter ride to the hospital.

http://www.steephill.tv/galleries/2005/2005-05-21-markleeville-ebbetts-monitor/pictures/the%20(un)welcoming%20sig%23e46a.html

Lots more pictures from paradise (Sierra Nevadas, including Ebbetts) found here:

http://www.steephill.tv/galleries/2005/2005-05-21-markleeville-ebbetts-monitor/

Notice that even as late as May the snow banks at the top are around 8 feet deep. There's sometimes little patches of snow up there during The Deathride in mid July.

Me riding Ebbetts.

smith193542.jpg

The hill in the far upper left is Monitor Pass, where we'd been over both sides earlier in the morning. 8,300ft and the second climb up there is an absolute *****. LOL

Piotr said:
The guy I'm chasing in the second picture (his name is actually Chase) won Valley of the Sun SR in Arizona last week as a Cat. 2. Don't you just hate those 18 year olds who breeze through all the categories in a matter of months. :mad: I don't think I'll able to catch him this year... Wait, I won't be racing him this year. :) Oh, wait again, that's because I'm 41 and a Cat. 3. :(

tonyzackery said:
Several over the past couple years I've been racing...
Tony, are you the black guy? .....your white bike is pretty good heh... traditional bend... you're a real racer! What's that, a painted Pedalforce?

a picture of me in action in Sardinia in 2006 + on the track waiting for my flying 200 call

Sikhandar said:
Tony, are you the black guy? .....your white bike is pretty good heh... traditional bend... you're a real racer! What's that, a painted Pedalforce?

a picture of me in action in Sardinia in 2006 + on the track waiting for my flying 200 call
The black guy be me, yes.
That white bike was an unbranded Kinesis RC-2 that I got off eBay for $99 and sold on Ebay a year later for $250. Way too flexy in the BB area for me.

Yes, the black bike is a PedalForce. Sold that frame too on eBay - but not a profit though...also too flexy.

Presently, still on the Giant and an aluminum Airborne Thunderbolt - both eBay specials. Got a C'dale System6 that's hangin' on the wall in my garage. Gonna build it up someday...I only race on aluminum as you notice - a stiff carbon frame under $500 doesn't exist, I think. Besides, scratching and denting my $250 frames doesn't cause me heart failure...

Piotr said:
The guy I'm chasing in the second picture (his name is actually Chase) won Valley of the Sun SR in Arizona last week as a Cat. 2. Don't you just hate those 18 year olds who breeze through all the categories in a matter of months. :mad: I don't think I'll able to catch him this year... Wait, I won't be racing him this year. :) Oh, wait again, that's because I'm 41 and a Cat. 3. :(

Well, it seems that just 2 years into his racing adventures Chase got picked up by Trek-Livestrong for 2010. He was the youngest and I think the highest placed local amateur at this year's Tour of Utah. Go Chase!