Raising Hoods and Grease/Oil CF Seat Post?

Sam123

Aug 1, 2009
Can the Hoods on Road handlebars be raised? The shifters or whatever. I just brought 42cm ones, but Ive had to adjust them so i can reach the drops comfy etc so that makes the hoods nearly flat. Can the hoods be adjusted upright so its more comfy for my hands? Or is there no way of raising them?

Also brought a Carbon Fiber Seat post is it best to grease/oil it so it slips in the alloy frame nice?

Random question How much energy do you save sitting behind a wheel in a pack?

Should i also remove my 'Dork Disk'?

Another thing can someone explain Cat Categories, how good you have to be in each one, the speed in each etc.

On a ups and downs terrians i can avg 21mph-25mph in group rides.
I can avg 24-28mph on flats and sprint up to 35-37mph for about 30 seconds
Im good sitting behind wheels at them speeds done about 6 Sunday Rides the group is usually 35-50 people halfway its splits into a slower and faster. I was in the slow for the first 2 weeks i went then the rest i was in the fast and 1 of the Sundays i was at the front in the fast pack for the 48 miles. Untill we stopped. I avg easy 220+ miles a week and 260 max.

So what cat number would i be good to go in?
The only problem is i suffer from low back pain as most of you probably know
How long do races usually last for?
6 miles

Well for the hoods you can go into them and there will be a screw that simply fastens them to the handlebars, loosen that screw and slide them up the bars to where they are most comfortable for you, very easy. Most of the screws can be located buy pressing your brakes all the way making a space between the lever and the hood and you could look down and see the screw, you must then remove the cable to access the screw. Hope this helps!

Sam123 said:
Can the Hoods on Road handlebars be raised? The shifters or whatever. I just brought 42cm ones, but Ive had to adjust them so i can reach the drops comfy etc so that makes the hoods nearly flat. Can the hoods be adjusted upright so its more comfy for my hands? Or is there no way of raising them?

Also brought a Carbon Fiber Seat post is it best to grease/oil it so it slips in the alloy frame nice?

Random question How much energy do you save sitting behind a wheel in a pack?

Should i also remove my 'Dork Disk'?

Another thing can someone explain Cat Categories, how good you have to be in each one, the speed in each etc.

On a ups and downs terrians i can avg 21mph-25mph in group rides.
I can avg 24-28mph on flats and sprint up to 35-37mph for about 30 seconds
Im good sitting behind wheels at them speeds done about 6 Sunday Rides the group is usually 35-50 people halfway its splits into a slower and faster. I was in the slow for the first 2 weeks i went then the rest i was in the fast and 1 of the Sundays i was at the front in the fast pack for the 48 miles. Untill we stopped. I avg easy 220+ miles a week and 260 max.

So what cat number would i be good to go in?
The only problem is i suffer from low back pain as most of you probably know
How long do races usually last for?
6 miles
You can change the position of the levers, and thereby change the position of the hoods.

You will need to unwrap the handlebar tape to where the levers are located (presuming they wind from the ends to the center) ...

You will need a 5mm Allen wrench with a long (e.g. 4") shaft ...

Presuming you have Shimano STI shifters, you will insert the wrench into the fluted indentation on the outside of the brake's base (near the edge of the hood). Engage the hidden hex head ... loosen ... untape the brake cable(s) housing and/or derailleur cable housing if you have the latest-and-greatest Shimano DA/Ultegra/105 shifters ... move the lever(s) to where you want them to be ... tighten ... tape the cable housing(s) back against the handlebars ... rewrap the handlbar tape.

There is a special lube for CF seatposts which I learned about long after I used grease on mine!

If the 'dork disk' is the plastic spoke protector, then yes, remove it when you have the time ...

I think everyone starts as a CAT 5 ... and, you move up to a higher category based on the number of races you compete in and/or win.

I was told ill need to replace the tape again? Is this true? Cant they rap it up again?

While it is certainly easier to wrap a handlebar with 'fresh' handlebar tape, IF you were careful the first time you wrapped the bars and didn't over-stretch it AND if you are careful when you unwrap your bars and then re-wrap them THEN I see no reason why you can't continue to use the tape that is currently on your handlebars.