Rasmussen - ProTour in the next 48 hours

steve

Administrator
Aug 12, 2001
Dane says he could sign with a ProTour in the next 48 hours

Dane Michael Rasmussen responded to news reports claiming that he said that he wished several of the sport's leaders dead, saying that the press has taken his comments out of context and that he meant nothing of the sort.

"My words have gotten translated so many times they have lost all their meaning," Rasmussen told Cyclingnews. He also issued a statement explaining how the miscommunication happened.

Link: Rasmussen Responds To Stories In The Media | Cyclingnews.com

Where would you like him to end up?

I'm still not exactly sure what to think of this. It's not like they actually proved that he did anything, but it's definitely clear that he lied and of course deserved some sort of disciplinary action.

R could have a point though - the media tends to blow stuff up. He's already served his two years. What more does the public want?

BMC. They need someone who can climb after Evans turns into a blabbering idiot and starts blaming the world for cracking.

swampy1970 said:
BMC. They need someone who can climb after Evans turns into a blabbering idiot and starts blaming the world for cracking.

That's a bit harsh ;)

I think that Ras is probably dreaming if he thinks that he will be on a ProTour team. The UCI is blackballing him. When he tried to sign for a team last year, the UCI told the team not to hire him, and that was not even a ProTour team. We can only imagine the pressure the UCI is exerting on the big teams.

I didn't see any quote from Rassmussen about 48 hours. Are we sure that the media didn't just make up the timeline.

Bro Deal said:
I think that Ras is probably dreaming if he thinks that he will be on a ProTour team. The UCI is blackballing him. When he tried to sign for a team last year, the UCI told the team not to hire him, and that was not even a ProTour team. We can only imagine the pressure the UCI is exerting on the big teams.
I'd say that Rasmussen's attitude is too cocky. He was a good rider and he sure would be welcomed in any ProTour team before the suspension, but his suspension came as a consequence of insincerity towards his team and officials which, besides violated rule, could pull some conclusions from that. I think that this insincerity is stronger reason for teams not to hire him than eventual pressure from UCI. Nobody wants shadow over his work and if UCI is pressurising anybody on Rassmusen's case it's hypocrisy. In terms of doping violation Rasmussen's case is far from Vinokourov's and even Basso's. And they are riding now like nothing has happen.

Andrija said:
I'd say that Rasmussen's attitude is too cocky.

Yeah, unlike Vinokourov who showed his remorse by making jokes about vodka in his fathers blood; and then later threaten Bruyneel if he refuesed to have him back on the team.

In terms of doping violation Rasmussen's case is far from Vinokourov's and even Basso's. And they are riding now like nothing has happen.

Yeah Vinokourov was caught doping red handed during the Tour. Ras has never been caught doping.

tambourlain said:
Yeah, unlike Vinokourov who showed his remorse by making jokes about vodka in his fathers blood; and then later threaten Bruyneel if he refuesed to have him back on the team.
Vinokourov was arrogant knowing that he can be 'cause he was the reason why Astana was established. And that's partly reason why UCI had mild attitude toward him. Kazakh money can't be underestimated.
Rasmussen only has his past reputation to be cocky. He has nothing else to offer. And it's reputation of 4 years ago, probably with advanced supplementation.

tambourlain said:
Yeah Vinokourov was caught doping red handed during the Tour. Ras has never been caught doping.
Exactly. We can only suspect on Rasmussen's doping. There's no evidence. Following legal consistency his sins are much lesser than Vino's.