Re: Northampton, buying - Outcome (long)

Steph Peters

Guest
PJ <[email protected]> of None wrote:
>Anyway - there we go. I'm mobile. Lights, a lock, and a reflective vest are
>on order from CPC. I found another lock and a pump in my parents shed. All I
>need is a backpack to put 'em in...

You don't need a backpack. Backpacks are hot and sweaty, the weight is in
the wrong place and they will make your back ache. Find a bracket to keep
the lock on the bike, ditto the pump and put the lights on the bike.
Admittedly you then have to remove lights and pump when leaving the bike
locked up, but this is better than a backpack. If you need to carry a few
bits and pieces like wallet and mobile then look for a waistpack - cheapies
from markets do me fine. If you have more stuff to carry then start looking
around for a rack and panniers. These work much better than backpacks.
--
An Englishman, even if he is alone, forms an orderly queue of one.
George Mikes, Hungarian writer

in message <[email protected]>, Steph Peters
('[email protected]') wrote:

> PJ <[email protected]> of None wrote:
>>Anyway - there we go. I'm mobile. Lights, a lock, and a reflective
>>vest are on order from CPC. I found another lock and a pump in my
>>parents shed. All I need is a backpack to put 'em in...

> You don't need a backpack. Backpacks are hot and sweaty, the weight is
> in
> the wrong place and they will make your back ache. Find a bracket to
> keep the lock on the bike, ditto the pump and put the lights on the
> bike. Admittedly you then have to remove lights and pump when leaving
> the bike
> locked up, but this is better than a backpack.

Better still, get a bar bag with a lights attachment bar - the Carradice
Super C has one[1], but I imagine several other makes do as well. Then
you can keep the lock and the pump in the bag and the lights on the
bottom of the bag, and when you get to your destination just take off
the bag, sorted. Of course you still need to unclip your back light
separately.

[1] Somebody here has said their Super C didn't come with a lights bar,
so it may be an optional extra.

Wannabe a Web designer?
<URL:http://userfriendly.org/cartoons/archives/97dec/19971206.html>