General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

Re: Update on Delenn (Endurance Weenie Warning)

Started by David Cohen · · Last activity · 7 posts · 284 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
3 May 2005
Last activity
4 May 2005
Original author
David Cohen
Posts
7
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
284
Views / 30 days
1

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–7 of 7
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. "Delenn" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:

    I'm back, and now I'm a triathlete. I still feel a bit like a poser
    outside on my new bike (the odometer still has two digits on it) but I've
    got road rash on my right knee, a whopping bruise on my rib and shoulder,
    and a gash in my new cycling jacket. I feel like a real cyclist.

    My weight continues to drop - I've lost over 80 pounds - and I sometimes
    worry at night about weird ailments that I might be suffering from that
    explain the steady fat loss. It's coming from my butt and thighs these
    days and I sometimes feel like I'm disappearing from some bizarre
    muscle-sparing cancer that makes me feel stronger and healthier than ever.
    Either that or the nine workouts a week I'm doing. Huh. I tend to forget
    about those because they mostly feel like fun. I get kind of grumpy if I
    don't get an hour of something sweaty in each day.

    My routine has me running, swimming and/or cycling for at least half an
    hour two or three times each during the week, which works out to 6-9
    cardio workouts (I often do two workouts a day) plus I do a couple of
    full-body weightlifting workouts. Usually I do a Nautilus circuit these
    days - time is a premium and I'm mostly trying to maintain what I've got
    at this point.

    My triathlon is 13 weeks away and I can easily do the distance in each of
    the events. I've got three months to pull it together. So far I seem to
    be middle-of-the-pack potential. Good enough.

    The cross-training aspects of this sport seem to be relatively
    joint-sparing, as I battle over-use injuries in my old bones. I laughed
    to realize that my recent bike crash injured my RIGHT shoulder and knee,
    whereas swimming and benchpressing tend to over-use my LEFT shoulder and
    running tends to hurt my LEFT knee. This sport really spreads the pain
    around evenly, and there's something to be said for the symmetry.

    Fact is, I'm full-tilt into endurance-weenie land and really ought not
    show my face in this group, but I wanted to wave as I sped by.

    Pretty good for an old broad.

    Actually, pretty good for a young broad. Excellent job 🙂

    David

  2. David Cohen said:

    Pretty good for an old broad.

    Actually, pretty good for a young broad. Excellent job 🙂

    David

    Thanks. Hey, take care of my husband, would ya? He's in your lair as
    we speak. (Some geek-tech conference.) I personally hate Sin City and
    prefer he go alone, but it did occur to me that if I went I might meet
    you. But I hear you scare sweet young flowers of womanhood until they
    scream.

    Delenn

  3. "Delenn" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:
    David Cohen said:

    Pretty good for an old broad.

    Actually, pretty good for a young broad. Excellent job 🙂


    Thanks. Hey, take care of my husband, would ya?

    Oh, I wouldn't worry about him. The bell captain or any cab driver can
    direct him to the hookers and the strip clubs.

    David

  4. "Delenn" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:
    David Cohen said:

    "Delenn" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:

    David Cohen wrote:
    >Pretty good for an old broad.
    >
    >Actually, pretty good for a young broad. Excellent job 🙂
    >
    Thanks. Hey, take care of my husband, would ya?

    Oh, I wouldn't worry about him. The bell captain or any cab driver can
    direct him to the hookers and the strip clubs.

    We've been there. He wouldn't need directions. That said, I doubt he'll
    escape to the street. Those labyrnthian foyers filled with slot machines
    and elusive doors always trap him. He actually LIKES those places. It's
    bad enough in New England where its a form of aboriginal retribution.
    That works on a Liberal Guilt level at least. But in Vegas it's just pure
    greed taking your money for no reason other than you're willing to throw
    it at those damn machines. God, I hate Vegas.

    You, Brink...must be a Massechusetts thing.

    Well, most of the rest of the world LOVES Las Vegas (even the 9/11 hijackers
    came here), so keep your money and give it to your state income tax.

    David

  5. David Cohen said:
    Quoted message said:

    We've been there. He wouldn't need directions. That said, I doubt he'll
    escape to the street. Those labyrnthian foyers filled with slot machines
    and elusive doors always trap him. He actually LIKES those places. It's
    bad enough in New England where its a form of aboriginal retribution.
    That works on a Liberal Guilt level at least. But in Vegas it's just pure
    greed taking your money for no reason other than you're willing to throw
    it at those damn machines. God, I hate Vegas.

    Quoted message said:

    You, Brink...must be a Massechusetts thing.

    http://www.census.gov/Press-Release/www/releases/archives/american_community_survey_acs/001802.html

    specifically scroll down to the states with the highest percentage of college graduates.....amazingly my home state keeps electing a Rep. governor though..must be fixed.

    Quoted message said:

    David

    --
    ***************************************************************
    Peter Attar
    NRC Research Associate
    Computational Sciences Branch
    Air Vehicles Directorate
    Air Force Research Laboratory

  6. David Cohen said:

    Ah, I see. A symbiotic relationship of college graduation and living in a
    laughingly absurd Left-of-Marx state causes loss of the ability to have fun.

    Exactly. We try to ban it in Boston whenever possible. I think it's a
    Puritan thing. (Seriously, for a moment, I really do. I had a lot of
    trouble last month with getting pain meds for one of my kids who was
    hospitalized for emergency abdominal surgery. There's an attitude that
    pain meds are bad that just isn't shaken by either science or Official
    Hospital Policy.)

    BTW, the good news is the kid got to live once again. Closed loop bowel
    obstruction from adhesions from a previous surgery, handily dealt with
    if you've got a good contrast x-ray and a team of pediatric abdominal
    surgeons available to deal with it laparoscopically. We got to skip the
    progression to perforation and peritonitis this time, having gone
    through it before. I guess we are taken seriously when we present with
    bowel pain now. (This kid is going to be a problem, I just know it.
    I've had him under G.A. three times now and he's not out of kindergarten
    yet. He apparently thinks he's left-handed, too. No doubt this is all
    because of that bris.)

    Quoted message said:

    It's OK...Las Vegas seems to be getting along without all you highly
    educated folks and all the extra "R"s in your words.

    You mean like in Gomorrah? (Watch out for too much asphalt, by the
    way... http://www.christiananswers.net/q-abr/abr-a007.html

    Delenn

  7. "Delenn" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:
    David Cohen said:

    Ah, I see. A symbiotic relationship of college graduation and living in a
    laughingly absurd Left-of-Marx state causes loss of the ability to have
    fun.

    Exactly. We try to ban it in Boston whenever possible. I think it's a
    Puritan thing. (Seriously, for a moment, I really do. I had a lot of
    trouble last month with getting pain meds for one of my kids who was
    hospitalized for emergency abdominal surgery. There's an attitude that
    pain meds are bad that just isn't shaken by either science or Official
    Hospital Policy.)

    BTW, the good news is the kid got to live once again. Closed loop bowel
    obstruction from adhesions from a previous surgery, handily dealt with if
    you've got a good contrast x-ray and a team of pediatric abdominal
    surgeons available to deal with it laparoscopically. We got to skip the
    progression to perforation and peritonitis this time, having gone through
    it before. I guess we are taken seriously when we present with bowel pain
    now. (This kid is going to be a problem, I just know it. I've had him
    under G.A. three times now and he's not out of kindergarten yet. He
    apparently thinks he's left-handed, too. No doubt this is all because of
    that bris.)

    Glad to hear he's better. Bring an attorney to the hospital next time. Make
    Administration aware that the attorney will be reviewing everything done.
    Then make sure to bring food for the nurses. Frequently. These steps will
    assure quality care.

    David

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.