Rear Derailleur/Hanger Bent--Slightly

ganderctr

Dec 9, 2004
I noticed today, after about 110 miles on the bike, that the rear derailleur on my Trek 1500 is bent. It's been subjected to no abuse and the bend is ever so slight that I'm tempted to not even mess with it. It's about halfway between correct alignment and parallel with the spokes on the drive side of my rear wheel. Shifting, as far as I can tell, is great. Should I even mess with this?

ganderctr said:
I noticed today, after about 110 miles on the bike, that the rear derailleur on my Trek 1500 is bent. It's been subjected to no abuse and the bend is ever so slight that I'm tempted to not even mess with it. It's about halfway between correct alignment and parallel with the spokes on the drive side of my rear wheel. Shifting, as far as I can tell, is great. Should I even mess with this?
If it shifts alright and doesn't get in the spokes,don't mess with it. A LBS should have an alignment tool to give it a quick check and if it's out just slightly if can be realigned. If the bike is new,the place you bought it should take care of it.

ganderctr said:
Take a close look. It may be the hanger that is bent, which is replacable on most bikes.