rear hub problem

Swoop

Feb 13, 2004
In September I repacked my rear hub bearings. Everything was going great...until this week. I was riding my trainer I looked at the rear hub non drive side when Igot off and grease had coated the outside. I wiped off the grease and decided maybe the races had come loose or something and proceeded to repack the hub and make sure everything was tight. I also checked the seals and they seemed fine. So I go out on a ride the next day...16 miles into it I look back and grease has coated my hub again. I am pretty sure everything is tight enough, but not too tight, and the seals are in good shape. Does anybody have any ideas before I am forced to spend my money at a LBS? Thanks.

Swoop said:
In September I repacked my rear hub bearings. Everything was going great...until this week. I was riding my trainer I looked at the rear hub non drive side when Igot off and grease had coated the outside. I wiped off the grease and decided maybe the races had come loose or something and proceeded to repack the hub and make sure everything was tight. I also checked the seals and they seemed fine. So I go out on a ride the next day...16 miles into it I look back and grease has coated my hub again. I am pretty sure everything is tight enough, but not too tight, and the seals are in good shape. Does anybody have any ideas before I am forced to spend my money at a LBS? Thanks.
Too much grease will tend to ooze out. Beats crud creeping in.Take a good wipe and quit worrying.

Swoop said:
I'd just keep riding and let it ooze out. If it doesn't stop shortly, and the hub sounds dry, then go to the LBS for a proper rebuild. Sounds like you packed too much grease into the bearings. Did you have any instructions or manual to follow?

Most hubs are well-sealed these days, and as result require no routine maintenance to last for many thousands of miles (just like the wheel bearings in your car).

ok I might have put too much grease in. As far as instructions I used the park tool website and also some schematics from Shimano. So I am fairly certain I did it properly. Anyways.. I will check to see if it crunches or gets hot. If I have those problems...to the LBS. Thanks for the help.

Swoop said:
ok I might have put too much grease in. As far as instructions I used the park tool website and also some schematics from Shimano. So I am fairly certain I did it properly. Anyways.. I will check to see if it crunches or gets hot. If I have those problems...to the LBS. Thanks for the help.
I just repacked several of my hubs and they're oozing like a festering pustule now. No biggie. It's better to have too much than too little.

When it comes to the correct tightness of the cones, they need to be just tight enough to keep the axle from having any play and no tighter as that will put extra stress on the bearings. The best way for me to tell is to put the wheel back on the bike, tighten skewer, grab opposite sides of the wheel and try to move it from side to side. If there is no play but you've tightened it just to that point and no more you should be good to go.

If you hear excessive noise coming from the rear wheel it could be your freewheel bearings. According to Sheldon Brown - the god of cycling mechanics - these are the least important bearings on the bike as they only come into play when coasting. He recommends not screwing with the freewheel and just oiling it from the outside. If it's good enough for him ... well, you get the picture.