Shimano rear hub problem

Graham Steer

Guest
I have a Shimano 105 rear hub that is making a graunching sound as it
rotates. The sound is not continuous but occurs only over a small arc of
each revolution. Spinning the wheel out of the frame indicates that the
wheel bearings themselves are running smooth and free and that the sound is
coming from the cassette carrier (cassette removed). The sound is also
accompanied by a slight resistance that can be felt through the axle. Anyone
any ideas and before I go wielding my spanners can I take the carrier apart
and if so are spares available to fix the cause. Or is this a case of a new
hub.

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...

>I have a Shimano 105 rear hub that is making a graunching sound as it
>rotates. The sound is not continuous but occurs only over a small arc of
>each revolution. Spinning the wheel out of the frame indicates that the
>wheel bearings themselves are running smooth and free and that the sound is
>coming from the cassette carrier (cassette removed). The sound is also
>accompanied by a slight resistance that can be felt through the axle. Anyone
>any ideas and before I go wielding my spanners can I take the carrier apart
>and if so are spares available to fix the cause. Or is this a case of a new
>hub.

Try flushing the cassette with some wd-40 and then lube with your favorite
oil. See if that helps. A new cassette body would probably cost close
to the cost of a new 105, so you would probably be better off buying a
new hub and pulling the cassette body off and then installing it on your
current wheel.
-------------
Alex

graham-<< I have a Shimano 105 rear hub that is making a graunching sound as it
rotates. >><BR><BR>

Take it completely apart, including the freehub body off. Clean regrease,
perhaps new bearing balls. Take the rubber seal off the back of the freehub
body, flush with WD-40, lube with Mobil One, reassemble.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com

Graham Steer wrote:

> I have a Shimano 105 rear hub that is making a graunching sound as it
> rotates. The sound is not continuous but occurs only over a small arc of
> each revolution. Spinning the wheel out of the frame indicates that the
> wheel bearings themselves are running smooth and free and that the sound is
> coming from the cassette carrier (cassette removed). The sound is also
> accompanied by a slight resistance that can be felt through the axle. Anyone
> any ideas and before I go wielding my spanners can I take the carrier apart
> and if so are spares available to fix the cause. Or is this a case of a new
> hub.

Remove the freehub. It's a slightly awkward job (compared to removaing
an old fashioned freewheel) where you first need to remove the RH
bearings and axle then, using a 10mm allen key (which is a BIG allen
key), unscrew the freehub body. Remove the rubber O-ring at the back of
the freehub and flush with a thin lubricant such as GT85 in the hope
this cures the problem. Or, better, throw it away and buy a new freehub
- you'd never have kept the body of an old freewheel when the cogs were
worn out, would you? Take the old one to the shop to make sure you get
the right type - there have been a few different incarnations.

If you don't have a 10mm allen key, just take the wheel to your shop and
ask them to replace the freehub - it might be cheaper.

Thanks guys for the info. I have removed the body as you suggested flushed
it and relubed. I also cleaned and relubed the axle bearings. The graunching
noise has gone away and the whole assembly runs much smoother. There is
still however a slight rubbing sensation at the point in the revolution
where the noise was. I have checked everything again. All the bearings and
running surfaces look fine the only thing I can see is that the outer
shielding (?) inside the free body, (the part that looks as if it runs
against the axle bearing seal) looks to be slightly off centre. There is
however no way to see if this is the cause once the axle and bearings are
replaced. Unless anyone has experienced this before I am tempted to leave
well alone for now and see how the wheel goes.

Thanks again.

Graham.
news:[email protected]...