Rear Steer photos

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Bill Patterson, Dec 11, 2003.

  1. Tags:

  2. Harv

    Harv Guest

    Bill, you've finally displaced limey Lew as having the most interesting bike
    shoes, his bare spd feet. Dian clipped in with the spd pumps is pretty
    ingenious.:eek:)

    "Bill Patterson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I have placed some photo of the rear steer bike on my earthlink page.
    >
    > They aren't too good. Blame the Prof.
    > --
    >
    > Demand and drive elegant lightweight fuel efficient vehicles.
    >
    > See some Bikes At:
    >
    > http://home.earthlink.net/~wm.patterson/index.html
    >

    > Class and Helicopter
    >
    > http://www.calpoly.edu/~wpatters/
    >
    > Reply to [email protected]

  3. Well, thats quite an honor, being upstaged by that fine Lady.

    Thanks, Harv.

    --
    Lewis.

    *******************************

    "harv" <harv*no_spam*@spininternet.com> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Bill, you've finally displaced limey Lew as having the most interesting
    bike
    > shoes, his bare spd feet. Dian clipped in with the spd pumps is pretty ingenious.:eek:)
    >
    > "Bill Patterson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > I have placed some photo of the rear steer bike on my earthlink page.
    > >
    > > They aren't too good. Blame the Prof.
    > > --
    > >
    > > Demand and drive elegant lightweight fuel efficient vehicles.
    > >
    > > See some Bikes At:
    > >
    > > http://home.earthlink.net/~wm.patterson/index.html
    > >

    > > Class and Helicopter
    > >
    > > http://www.calpoly.edu/~wpatters/
    > >
    > > Reply to [email protected]

  4. Harv

    Harv Guest

    See, we're a pretty classy bunch on this board. Next thing we'll probably
    see is Cletus riding around in spd cowboy boots.
    "Lewis Campbell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Well, thats quite an honor, being upstaged by that fine Lady.
    >
    > Thanks, Harv.
    >
    > --
    > Lewis.

    > *******************************
    >
    > "harv" <harv*no_spam*@spininternet.com> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > Bill, you've finally displaced limey Lew as having the most interesting
    > bike
    > > shoes, his bare spd feet. Dian clipped in with the spd pumps is pretty ingenious.:eek:)
    > >
    > > "Bill Patterson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > > I have placed some photo of the rear steer bike on my earthlink page.
    > > >
    > > > They aren't too good. Blame the Prof.
    > > > --
    > > >
    > > > Demand and drive elegant lightweight fuel efficient vehicles.
    > > >
    > > > See some Bikes At:
    > > >
    > > > http://home.earthlink.net/~wm.patterson/index.html
    > > >

    > > > Class and Helicopter
    > > >
    > > > http://www.calpoly.edu/~wpatters/
    > > >
    > > > Reply to [email protected]

  5. GeoB

    GeoB Guest

    > I have placed some photo of the rear steer bike on my earthlink page.

    Hey! Nice pic, bike looks great!

    But I wonder how well it handles at slow speeds. Is it more of a handful than a regular DF then?

    When I was a kid I could start my DF 10spd rolling down a hill. The front wheel would automagically
    make the minute turns necessary to keep the bike upright. It would go forever on a downhill.
    Intuitively, I expect that this bike wouldn't work that way. Is this correct?

    Are there any benefits from rear-steer?

  6. Frodo22222

    Frodo22222 Guest

    The rear steer is NOT a hands free bike and it doesn't self correct. I think that it's a good
    starting point for further developement.

    Front drive rear steer is an excellent simple design for a low racer or streamliner. None can be
    ridden at present.

    Rear drive works well, but has problems for the low fast crowd. Routing a long chain back to the
    rear wheel is a pain. Also the chain weight might be a problem.

    Current righ speed faired bikes normally use a twist chain front drve.There is a simpler
    (lighter" system.

    Moving bottom bracker front drive is the simplest front drive front steer. Only Tom Traylor has
    built a fairing that moves with the front fork. I'm not sure how it would work at Battle Mtn. at 80
    miles an hour.

    The high speed community would love a simple front drive with it's short chain. Such a system
    demands fewer design compromises for the rest of the bike.

    So the dream of the high speed guys is a rear steer system that works easily for all. I'm afraid we
    are far from success on that front.

    Bill Patterson "away from home"

  7. Please clue me in on the definition of moving bottom bracket. Does this mean that the bottom bracket
    turns with the fork assembly but is otherwise in a fixed relation to the front axle, etc.?

    Thank you

    [email protected] (Frodo22222) wrote in message news:<[email protected]
    m18.aol.com>...
    > The rear steer is NOT a hands free bike and it doesn't self correct. I think that it's a good
    > starting point for further developement.
    >
    > Front drive rear steer is an excellent simple design for a low racer or streamliner. None can be
    > ridden at present.
    >
    > Rear drive works well, but has problems for the low fast crowd. Routing a long chain back to the
    > rear wheel is a pain. Also the chain weight might be a problem.
    >
    > Current righ speed faired bikes normally use a twist chain front drve.There is a simpler
    > (lighter" system.
    >
    > Moving bottom bracker front drive is the simplest front drive front steer. Only Tom Traylor has
    > built a fairing that moves with the front fork. I'm not sure how it would work at Battle Mtn. at
    > 80 miles an hour.
    >
    > The high speed community would love a simple front drive with it's short chain. Such a system
    > demands fewer design compromises for the rest of the bike.
    >
    > So the dream of the high speed guys is a rear steer system that works easily for all. I'm afraid
    > we are far from success on that front.
    >
    > Bill Patterson "away from home"

  8. One could always go head-first and view the oncoming scenery with a mirror... nah. No-one would ever
    be that insane ;-)

    http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

  9. meb

    meb New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 21, 2003
    Messages:
    1,219
    The Eivie team at Battle Mountain- which set the European HPV record.

    http://www.eklektus.com/bike/e-rekord.html#5