recomendation for saddle

bjclark3

Oct 17, 2010
I am building a new bike with salsa steel frame and carbon fork. I don't want to spend a fortune on a saddle but want one with a combination of moderate comfort for cost any suggestions. Also carbon post or not
BJ

I have an 2 year old Bontrager Race Lux which seems the most comfortable and a Specialized Avatar Gel that is also fairly good. I have used both on my Specialized Sirrus Pro which has a carbon seatpost and fork.

What frame from Salsa are you building on? I was building up a Salsa Pistola but it had a problem and I had to send it back.

OK, I'll throw in here........+2 on the Avatar Gel & I run a few bikes with WTB Speed V seats and a few with WTB Speed V Comp seats on them. They are reasonably priced and most comfortable I personally have found for less than 75.00. Speed V Comp also come with red, gray & black accents. I have yet to spend enough coin and found a seat that my ass actually likes for more than 75 miles.

Find a shop that will let you do a saddle road test and ride it for more than 20 miles if possible. Saddles are like women, it's hard to find the right one and the wrong one is a pain in the ............well good luck.

Originally Posted by bjclark3 .

It is the Pistola. A shop is building the bike. What was the problem
BJ

I work in a bike shop and was building on a Pistola. I think it is a great looking bike and kind of wish it had worked out for me. The problem was that the rear brake caliper mounting bar was welded in the wrong place. It was too high and angled out from the frame. The pads of my brakes would not completely contact the rim. Since Salsa has discontinued the Pistola I could not get a replacement, so I sent it back to QBP. I could not find another one in my size anywhere on the internet. I ended up getting a Lynskey Sportive frameset instead. I had to get a different front derailleur but have kept the complete 7900 Dura Ace Group for installation on the Lynskey.

I ride a womens 155mm jet,saddle no problems its made by specialized,one note I have a cheaper saddle made by the same compamy called body geometry has an orange bottom this is the best saddle on earth for a person with a wider bottom!I see them on ebay for 30.00

I have a Specialized BG seat on 1 of my bikes and don't find it to be as comfortable as the WTB Speed Vs.........butt that's just my opinion,lol.

try one of the old tried and true reisseued such as selle italia turbo can be had between 40.00 and 50.00 bucks great saddle very comfortable but a little heavy on the lighter side there is the 1990s orignal flite .lite and comfortable for some can be had between 60.00and 90.00 bucks ether one is a great inexpensive saddle witch many grand tour winners have sat their butts on. good luck

Try the Rido R2 comfort bike saddle. I bought mine recently to do a cycle trip from Southampton to Nice over the summer. It was so comfortable, inexpensive, and I was seriously impressed (not to mention relieved). I've been recommending it to anyone who'll listen!...I got mine from magicshineuk.co.uk...

Saddle choice is a very personal choice as everyone has a different shape and riding style.

Personally, I like the Fizik Aliante, which is pretty expensive new but can be found on ebay or craigslist for much less.

Saddle choice is very personal, but the ISM Adamo series is excellent - without question the most comfortable seat I've ridden.

I liked it enough that I did a mini 5 minute review of it on my blog if you're interested...

(no, don't panic.. no ads.. I don't make any money if you go there...

http://anotherdooratthe.endoftheinternet.org/category/cycling/ ---scroll down, it's the last review on the page.

I use a Cobb cycling v-flow plus. Took me 8 years to finally find a saddle that fits and doesn't make me sore. They have a generous return policy if your not happy with it. www.cobbcycling.com

FWIW. When in doubt, choose a "standard" BROOKS B17 saddle ... some break in period may be required ... periodic maintenance is definitely recommended.

• the rail-to-top-of-the-saddle distance is greater, so remember to lower the seat post OTHERWISE the saddle will probably be very uncomfortable! Measure the distance before swapping out any "plastic" saddle with almost any "leather" saddle

The BROOKS B17 "narrow" is wider than most plastic saddles ...

The width of the BROOKS TEAM PRO (aka PROFESSIONAL) is in between that of the standard & narrow B17 saddles ...

The more expensive BROOKS SWALLOW & SWIFT saddles are approximately the same width as the Team Pro saddle.

When I started out, I made the mistake of going too wide and too cushy. What was billed as a "comfort" seat actually made the inside and backs of my thighs sore and when I started longer rides, I would get numb in parts of the thighs and my feet would tingle. I went to a much narrower and less padded Specialized road saddle (can't remember the model off the top of my head) and 90% of the problems disappeared. I got a little sore over the sit bones for the first couple of weeks, but that went away. The big advantage is that my larger than average thighs have room to get good leg extension which allows me to use my glutes and hams more and take some of the pressure off the quads and knees.

A well designed road saddle is much more comfortable for me than the "comfort" saddle I started with.

Originally Posted by Myosmith .

When I started out, I made the mistake of going too wide and too cushy. What was billed as a "comfort" seat actually made the inside and backs of my thighs sore and when I started longer rides, I would get numb in parts of the thighs and my feet would tingle. I went to a much narrower and less padded Specialized road saddle (can't remember the model off the top of my head) and 90% of the problems disappeared. I got a little sore over the sit bones for the first couple of weeks, but that went away. The big advantage is that my larger than average thighs have room to get good leg extension which allows me to use my glutes and hams more and take some of the pressure off the quads and knees.

A well designed road saddle is much more comfortable for me than the "comfort" saddle I started with.
Numbness in parts of your thighs and your feet would tingle? You might want to read this:
http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/topics/bike/

Especially the topic "Cutting Off The Nose To Save The Penis". Just sayin'.

Thanks for the concern, Moto. A proper saddle, riding shorts, good training and improved technique have solved the problem. No more numbness or tingling in the thighs or feet. I never had any numbness in the groin, mainly on the insides of the thighs. My butt and feet still get sore and tired on long rides, but no loss of sensation. Even without the riding shorts (I only wear them on long rides) I don't have any problem.

I've seen a lot of conflicting information on bicycle seats and male function/fertility. Everyone I have ever spoken to who has ridden a noseless seat said it was a miserable experience and they couldn't wait to get back to a more traditional seat design. Two shops I frequent stopped carrying them because of the large number of complaints and returns.

To each his/her own, so if they work for some people, who am I to argue?