Recommendations for commuter bike

Mark

Guest
Hi,

My head is getting dizzy trying to decide which bike to get next. I
have an old Trek 720 which I intend to repair and hand on to my son.
I want to get something better for myself ;-)

The obvious choice is a hybrid and there seem to be plenty of deals on
last year's models at the moment. Can anyone comment about these

- Another Trek, maybe the 7.3FX
- Specialized Sirrus.
- Ridgeback Genesis Day 01.
- Claude Butler Urban 300/400/500.

The route to work is short but very hilly. I would like something
that is capable of getting to work quickly and for which I will be
able to find spare parts easily in 10 years time! Is there any
bikes that are better for someone with shorter legs and long arms
and trunk?

My LBS choice is very limited so I will probably buy online.

TIA, Mark

On Feb 6, 4:43�pm, Mark <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My head is getting dizzy trying to decide which bike to get next. �I
> have an old Trek 720 which I intend to repair and hand on to my son.
> I want to get something better for myself ;-)
>
> The obvious choice is a hybrid and there seem to be plenty of deals on
> last year's models at the moment. �Can anyone comment about these
>
> - Another Trek, maybe the 7.3FX
> - Specialized Sirrus.
> - Ridgeback Genesis Day 01.
> - Claude Butler Urban 300/400/500.
>
> The route to work is short but very hilly. �I would like something
> that is capable of getting to work quickly and for which I will be
> able to find spare parts easily in 10 years time! �Is there any
> bikes that are better for someone with shorter legs and long arms
> and trunk?
>
> My LBS choice is very limited so I will probably buy online.
>
> TIA, Mark

Mark, I am guessing your budget is around �350-400. For that you are
spoilt for choice and the bikes on your list should easily cope with
your commute. But you could save a fair bit and take a look at the
hybrids on offer form those nice people at the Edinburgh Bicycle Co-Op
( www.edinburghbicycle.com )
The Revolution Pathfinder looks particularly good at �249 and the
frame comes with a lifetime warranty. I should imagine it would be
very easy to upgrade it should you feel the need in future. I'm a
Specialized man myself but this is tempting for an everyday do-it-all
bike.

On Wed, 6 Feb 2008 09:28:20 -0800 (PST), [email protected] wrote:

>On Feb 6, 4:43?pm, Mark <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> My head is getting dizzy trying to decide which bike to get next. ?I
>> have an old Trek 720 which I intend to repair and hand on to my son.
>> I want to get something better for myself ;-)
>>
>> The obvious choice is a hybrid and there seem to be plenty of deals on
>> last year's models at the moment. ?Can anyone comment about these
>>
>> - Another Trek, maybe the 7.3FX
>> - Specialized Sirrus.
>> - Ridgeback Genesis Day 01.
>> - Claude Butler Urban 300/400/500.
>>
>> The route to work is short but very hilly. ?I would like something
>> that is capable of getting to work quickly and for which I will be
>> able to find spare parts easily in 10 years time! ?Is there any
>> bikes that are better for someone with shorter legs and long arms
>> and trunk?
>>
>> My LBS choice is very limited so I will probably buy online.
>>
>> TIA, Mark

>Mark, I am guessing your budget is around ?350-400.

My budget is flexible since I will have to borrow the money anyway.
Value for money is one of the most important criteria for me.
(Some of the above bikes seem to be heavily discounted for the 2007
models.)

>For that you are
>spoilt for choice and the bikes on your list should easily cope with
>your commute. But you could save a fair bit and take a look at the
>hybrids on offer form those nice people at the Edinburgh Bicycle Co-Op
>( www.edinburghbicycle.com )
>The Revolution Pathfinder looks particularly good at ?249 and the
>frame comes with a lifetime warranty. I should imagine it would be
>very easy to upgrade it should you feel the need in future.

Thanks for the suggestion. I like the idea of the long top tube, but
not the suspension and Altus gears. I want a bike that doesn't need
upgrading - I don't have the time to tinker much.

M.

Mark writtificated

> The obvious choice is a hybrid and there seem to be plenty of deals on
> last year's models at the moment. Can anyone comment about these
>
> - Another Trek, maybe the 7.3FX

The most versatile bike - it'll happily do some off road stuff with it's
wide tyres (32mm) and wide gearing range (48T on front, 12-30T cassette
on the back). Relatively smooth tyres make it okay on the road too.

> - Specialized Sirrus.

The base model Sirrus has a triple chainset with 48T on the big ring, and
a 12-25 cassette - good up the hills but you might find it a tad
undergeared if charging down them. 28mm tyres make this comfier than the
Genesis and faster than the Trek, and it'll still do sustrans-type
trails.

> - Ridgeback Genesis Day 01.

2008 version has a 50-34 chainset with 11-25 Tiagra gears with skinny
23mm tyres - built for speed, though on a flat bar bike you'll only be
using the biggest gears downhill. Be aware that previous years models had
a 52 tooth chainring - overgeared for a flat bar bike so cross the '07
version off your list.

> - Claude Butler Urban 300/400/500.

If using tarmac you absolutely do not want suspension. In addition,
Claud Butler used to be a quality make, but IMO no longer are. I'd
avoid, but am happy to be corrected.

Of the bikes you listed it's between this and the Trek. This will be
faster, but the Trek is more versatile.

> The route to work is short but very hilly. I would like something
> that is capable of getting to work quickly and for which I will be
> able to find spare parts easily in 10 years time!

For future proofing, don't get a bike with a quill stem. The stem won't
wear out, but changing the stem length is harder to do with a quill stem
as shops tend not to stock a variety of lengths anymore.

> Is there any
> bikes that are better for someone with shorter legs and long arms
> and trunk?

Hopefully your proportions aren't too out of line. I'm long bodied too
but fit exactly into the regular size for my height. I'd take a couple
of different sizes for a test ride. Specialized are a good start 'cos
the shop will have a chart for each bike, so you can start off with what
/should/ fit and go from there. I've noticed a tendency for people to go
for bikes a size too big, so be careful about getting a bigger bike.

> My LBS choice is very limited so I will probably buy online.

Possibly not a good idea unless you know what size you need. You'll be
spending a lot of money so it might be worth the extra to get a size that
fits. Also, the biggest discounts will only be available on their last
few bikes, and unless you're at the extremes of the size range, they're
unlikely to have your size.

Mark T wrote:
> Mark writtificated
>
>> The obvious choice is a hybrid and there seem to be plenty of deals
>> on last year's models at the moment. Can anyone comment about these
>>
>> - Another Trek, maybe the 7.3FX

> The most versatile bike - it'll happily do some off road stuff with
> it's wide tyres (32mm) and wide gearing range (48T on front, 12-30T
> cassette on the back). Relatively smooth tyres make it okay on the
> road too.
>
>> - Specialized Sirrus.

> The base model Sirrus has a triple chainset with 48T on the big ring,
> and a 12-25 cassette - good up the hills but you might find it a tad
> undergeared if charging down them.

Undergeared for some values of downhill and legs. I would suggest for many
ordinary riders, its not a problem.

I run bikes with 700c/27in wheels with 48:13 (flat bar clunker), 50:14
(decent light drop-bar tourer) and 50:13 (posh custom built audax) top
gears. All of those are slower than 48:12. The 50:14 is the only one where
I find I run out of gears on the occaisional downhill; at 30mph, and its not
really that much of an issue.

- Nigel

--
Nigel Cliffe,
Webmaster at http://www.2mm.org.uk/

On 6 Feb, 16:43, Mark <[email protected]> wrote:
> My head is getting dizzy trying to decide which bike to get next. I
> have an old Trek 720 which I intend to repair and hand on to my son.
> I want to get something better for myself ;-)
> My LBS choice is very limited so I will probably buy online.

If you're looking to buy a bike to last you 10 years or more IMHO you
should take your time and make some effort to visit some different
shops and try out a few bikes. If you've got some ideas then maybe
call them up and see what they've got in and/or whether they can get
one in for you to try. Big chains like Evans (for all their faults)
will shift bikes from one shop to another for you if they haven't got
one in your most convenient branch. Take some decent length test
rides, unless you're very sure of what you want or are prepared to
change bits later then you really can't buy your ideal bike from a
picture and parts list on a web site.

On 7 Feb 2008 09:15:10 GMT, Mark T
<pleasegivegenerously@warmail*turn_up_the_heat_to_reply*.com.invalid>
wrote:

Thanks, Mark for your long and detailed reply. I hope you could
clarify some points for me?

>Mark writtificated
>
>> The obvious choice is a hybrid and there seem to be plenty of deals on
>> last year's models at the moment. Can anyone comment about these
>>
>> - Another Trek, maybe the 7.3FX

>The most versatile bike - it'll happily do some off road stuff with it's
>wide tyres (32mm) and wide gearing range (48T on front, 12-30T cassette
>on the back). Relatively smooth tyres make it okay on the road too.
>
>> - Specialized Sirrus.

>The base model Sirrus has a triple chainset with 48T on the big ring, and
>a 12-25 cassette - good up the hills but you might find it a tad
>undergeared if charging down them. 28mm tyres make this comfier than the
>Genesis and faster than the Trek, and it'll still do sustrans-type
>trails.
>
>> - Ridgeback Genesis Day 01.

>2008 version has a 50-34 chainset with 11-25 Tiagra gears with skinny
>23mm tyres - built for speed, though on a flat bar bike you'll only be
>using the biggest gears downhill. Be aware that previous years models had
>a 52 tooth chainring - overgeared for a flat bar bike so cross the '07
>version off your list.

That bad? Can't I just use a lower gear? I guess it wouldn't cost
too much to change it?

>> - Claude Butler Urban 300/400/500.

>If using tarmac you absolutely do not want suspension. In addition,
>Claud Butler used to be a quality make, but IMO no longer are. I'd
>avoid, but am happy to be corrected.
>
>Of the bikes you listed it's between this and the Trek. This will be
>faster, but the Trek is more versatile.

I'm not too worried about the highest gears - it got to be better than
my current bike, which has a small top chainring (IIRC it's 44) and
has 11-28 (7 speed).

I couldn't quite work out if you were recommending the Claude Butler
since you say I don't want suspension (I think the CB are available
without suspension BTW), but then write "it's between this and the
Trek". I assume you mean the Specialized?
Since I don't intend to ride off road at all then some narrow smooth
tyres look good. (Although the roads are in a pretty poor state
around here).

>> The route to work is short but very hilly. I would like something
>> that is capable of getting to work quickly and for which I will be
>> able to find spare parts easily in 10 years time!

>For future proofing, don't get a bike with a quill stem. The stem won't
>wear out, but changing the stem length is harder to do with a quill stem
>as shops tend not to stock a variety of lengths anymore.

I must admit I've no idea what a quill stem is or how to recognize
one. Can you give me a clue which of the above bikes are affected?

>> Is there any
>> bikes that are better for someone with shorter legs and long arms
>> and trunk?

>Hopefully your proportions aren't too out of line. I'm long bodied too
>but fit exactly into the regular size for my height. I'd take a couple
>of different sizes for a test ride. Specialized are a good start 'cos
>the shop will have a chart for each bike, so you can start off with what
>/should/ fit and go from there. I've noticed a tendency for people to go
>for bikes a size too big, so be careful about getting a bigger bike.

I'm not much off average, but it is enough for me to feel my current
bike is too small. (I always used to have 23"+ Tourers and I never
got used to the Hybrid with a 20" frame.)

>> My LBS choice is very limited so I will probably buy online.

>Possibly not a good idea unless you know what size you need. You'll be
>spending a lot of money so it might be worth the extra to get a size that
>fits. Also, the biggest discounts will only be available on their last
>few bikes, and unless you're at the extremes of the size range, they're
>unlikely to have your size.

I would rather buy from a shop but there really is very little
selection around here. The market seems to be mainly for Mountain
Bikes.

From the web stores I have looked at there seem to be a range of sizes
available on many of the 2007 bikes.

M.

On Thu, 7 Feb 2008 01:42:24 -0800 (PST), POHB <[email protected]>
wrote:

>On 6 Feb, 16:43, Mark <[email protected]> wrote:
>> My head is getting dizzy trying to decide which bike to get next. I
>> have an old Trek 720 which I intend to repair and hand on to my son.
>> I want to get something better for myself ;-)
>> My LBS choice is very limited so I will probably buy online.

>If you're looking to buy a bike to last you 10 years or more IMHO you
>should take your time and make some effort to visit some different
>shops and try out a few bikes. If you've got some ideas then maybe
>call them up and see what they've got in and/or whether they can get
>one in for you to try. Big chains like Evans (for all their faults)
>will shift bikes from one shop to another for you if they haven't got
>one in your most convenient branch. Take some decent length test
>rides, unless you're very sure of what you want or are prepared to
>change bits later then you really can't buy your ideal bike from a
>picture and parts list on a web site.

Unfortunately, even the nearest branch of Evans is nowhere near.

M.

Mark writtificated [some cutting and pasting done]

>>2008 version has a 50-34 chainset with 11-25 Tiagra gears with skinny
>>23mm tyres - built for speed, though on a flat bar bike you'll only be
>>using the biggest gears downhill. Be aware that previous years models
>>had a 52 tooth chainring - overgeared for a flat bar bike so cross the
>>'07 version off your list.

> That bad? Can't I just use a lower gear? I guess it wouldn't cost
> too much to change it?

> I'm not too worried about the highest gears - it got to be better than
> my current bike, which has a small top chainring (IIRC it's 44) and
> has 11-28 (7 speed).

You can indeedy use a lower gear, but having a load of gears you never
use means you lose the chance of having lots of gears closely spaced, or
moving the range down for hills.

>>Of the bikes you listed it's between this and the Trek. This will be
>>faster, but the Trek is more versatile.

> I couldn't quite work out if you were recommending the Claude Butler
> since you say I don't want suspension (I think the CB are available
> without suspension BTW), but then write "it's between this and the
> Trek". I assume you mean the Specialized?

Yep, sorry - bad editing.

> Since I don't intend to ride off road at all then some narrow smooth
> tyres look good. (Although the roads are in a pretty poor state
> around here).

That makes the decision easier - Specialized Sirrus :)

>>> The route to work is short but very hilly. I would like something
>>> that is capable of getting to work quickly and for which I will be
>>> able to find spare parts easily in 10 years time!

>>For future proofing, don't get a bike with a quill stem. The stem
>>won't wear out, but changing the stem length is harder to do with a
>>quill stem as shops tend not to stock a variety of lengths anymore.

> I must admit I've no idea what a quill stem is or how to recognize
> one. Can you give me a clue which of the above bikes are affected?

None of the bikes have quill stems (tho I didn't look at the cheaper
Claud Butlers). Pics are here: <http://home.ca.inter.net/
~kroberge/bikes/qstems.jpg>

>>> Is there any
>>> bikes that are better for someone with shorter legs and long arms
>>> and trunk?

> I'm not much off average, but it is enough for me to feel my current
> bike is too small. (I always used to have 23"+ Tourers and I never
> got used to the Hybrid with a 20" frame.)

The Specialized website will give you frame dimensions for their bikes,
so you'll be able to compare that with what you ride now. Not as good as
a test ride but better than a guess. What's important is reach to the
bars, and this depends on the top tube length and the stem length.

It might be worth doing some measurements your bike, and what you'd like
your bike to be (how much further out you'd like the bars to be).

Mark writtificated

> Unfortunately, even the nearest branch of Evans is nowhere near.

Where do you live? Someone somewhere will know a good shop that'll give
you advice, or an Evil chain that can be abused for test rides :-0

Mark T wrote:

> Mark writtificated
>
>> The obvious choice is a hybrid and there seem to be plenty of deals on
>> last year's models at the moment. Can anyone comment about these
>>
>> - Another Trek, maybe the 7.3FX

> The most versatile bike - it'll happily do some off road stuff with it's
> wide tyres (32mm) and wide gearing range (48T on front, 12-30T cassette
> on the back). Relatively smooth tyres make it okay on the road too.
>
>> - Specialized Sirrus.

> The base model Sirrus has a triple chainset with 48T on the big ring, and
> a 12-25 cassette - good up the hills but you might find it a tad
> undergeared if charging down them. 28mm tyres make this comfier than the
> Genesis and faster than the Trek, and it'll still do sustrans-type
> trails.

The top gear on those two bikes is /exactly/ the same. The Sirrus has
markedly /higher/ bottom gears but the same top gear. TBH I don't see the
point of a triple with a 12-25; you'd be much better off with a compact
double and a 13-29. A twelve tooth cog is small enough that you're
beginning to get into inefficiencies.

>> - Claude Butler Urban 300/400/500.

> If using tarmac you absolutely do not want suspension. In addition,
> Claud Butler used to be a quality make, but IMO no longer are. I'd
> avoid, but am happy to be corrected.

While I agree about suspension, I've done a fair bit of work on various
newish Claud Butlers over the past two or three years and I think they're
exceedingly good value for money, particularly the Classic. Not 'good'
bikes, but at the price you wouldn't expect it; perfectly competent
workmanlike bikes. I'd have no hesitation recommend the Classic as an urban
utility bike, or a family picnic sort of bike.

/-\ You have discovered a security flaw in a Microsoft product. You
|-| can report this issue to our security team. Would you like to
| | * Be completely ignored (default)?
| | * Receive a form email full of platitudes about how much we care?
\_/ * Spend hours helping us fix this problem on your own phone bill?

Simon Brooke writtificated

Thanks for the comments about the CBs.

> The top gear on those two bikes is /exactly/ the same. The Sirrus has
> markedly /higher/ bottom gears but the same top gear. TBH I don't see the
> point of a triple with a 12-25; you'd be much better off with a compact
> double and a 13-29.

I think it's 'cos the 12-25 allows them to spec a medium cage rear mech -
seems to be a popular combination, presumably so they get a slightly better
discount when buying in bulk.

> A twelve tooth cog is small enough that you're
> beginning to get into inefficiencies.

Irrelevent to this thread, but is there any reason why racing machines,
particularly TT bikes, don't have a much larger chainring so they can avoid
the inefficiencies of the smaller sprockets (or do they)?

Mark T wrote:

> Simon Brooke writtificated
>
> Thanks for the comments about the CBs.
>
>> The top gear on those two bikes is /exactly/ the same. The Sirrus has
>> markedly /higher/ bottom gears but the same top gear. TBH I don't see the
>> point of a triple with a 12-25; you'd be much better off with a compact
>> double and a 13-29.

> I think it's 'cos the 12-25 allows them to spec a medium cage rear mech -
> seems to be a popular combination, presumably so they get a slightly
> better discount when buying in bulk.
>
>> A twelve tooth cog is small enough that you're
>> beginning to get into inefficiencies.

> Irrelevent to this thread, but is there any reason why racing machines,
> particularly TT bikes, don't have a much larger chainring so they can
> avoid the inefficiencies of the smaller sprockets (or do they)?

I know several people with 56 (or more) teeth on their big ring on their
time-trial bikes. What gear they actually end up using at the back I don't
know. Of course, here in the West of Scotland the hard men try to emulate
Graeme Obree who frequently turns up with 60-something tooth chainrings, so
this may just be macho posturing (not that I'm saying Graeme is doing macho
posturing. He isn't. But he isn't a mere mortal, either).

;; not so much a refugee from reality, more a bogus
;; asylum seeker