Recovery from operation

Status
Not open for further replies.

anderson

Apr 26, 2003
I am due to undergo keyhole surgury on both of my knees in a couple of weeks time. I am well aware of the effect it will have on my quad muscles.

Does anyone have constructive exercises that I can undertake in order to get the strength back into my legs in quick time.

Thanks in advance.

Michael Anderson

anderson <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I am due to undergo keyhole surgury on both of my knees in a couple of weeks time. I am well aware
> of the effect it will have on my quad muscles.
>
> Does anyone have constructive exercises that I can undertake in order to get the strength back
> into my legs in quick time.

Depends what the operation is. A physio at the hospital is the best person to ask who can advise you
specifically taking into account your condition. Many knee operations will allow you to mobilise and
function very quickly, and with very little pain. This should be encouraged. As a cyclist you have
the advantage of starting with good muscle tone. I wouldn't worry too much.

Bill RN

On Sun, 1 Jun 2003 15:50:02 +0100, "Bill" <[email protected]> wrote:

>A physio at the hospital is the best person to ask who can advise you specifically taking into
>account your condition.

Agree strongly. I'd point out to the surgeon that you're keen not to lose fitness and make sure
you're booked in with the physio in advance
- they have been known to forget...

Guy
===
** WARNING ** This posting may contain traces of irony. http://www.chapmancentral.com (BT ADSL and
dynamic DNS permitting)
NOTE: BT Openworld have now blocked port 25 (without notice), so old mail addresses may no longer
work. Apologies.

Assuming the keyhole surgery is the usual arthroscopy "wash and brush up" inside the knee then
there should be no problem in getting back to some gentle cycling as soon as the swelling and
discomfort recedes.

I have been done twice and the surgeon guy recommended cycling as soon as possible.

Usual disclaimer !!

RG

"anderson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I am due to undergo keyhole surgury on both of my knees in a couple of weeks time. I am well aware
> of the effect it will have on my quad muscles.
>
> Does anyone have constructive exercises that I can undertake in order to get the strength back
> into my legs in quick time.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Michael Anderson
>
>
>
> --
> >--------------------------<
> Posted via cyclingforums.com http://www.cyclingforums.com

"RG" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Assuming the keyhole surgery is the usual arthroscopy "wash and brush up" inside the knee then
> there should be no problem in getting back to some gentle cycling as soon as the swelling and
> discomfort recedes.
>
> I have been done twice and the surgeon guy recommended cycling as soon as possible.
>
> Usual disclaimer !!
>
> RG
>
> "anderson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > I am due to undergo keyhole surgury on both of my knees in a couple of weeks time. I am well
> > aware of the effect it will have on my quad muscles.
> >
> > Does anyone have constructive exercises that I can undertake in order to get the strength back
> > into my legs in quick time.
> >
> > Thanks in advance.
> >
> > Michael Anderson
> >
> >
Just had my 3rd full knee reconstruction in February this year and was cycling gently again after 4
weeks. Arthroscopy is pretty straightforward (I have had about 10!) and you'll be back in the saddle
again pretty quickly.

Good luck with it.

Saint

So many of you have undergone knee surgery. This is worrying. Is is symptomatic of avid cycling?

Hope not.

"Saint" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>
> "RG" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > Assuming the keyhole surgery is the usual arthroscopy "wash and brush
up"
> > inside the knee then there should be no problem in getting back to some gentle cycling as soon
> > as the swelling and discomfort recedes.
> >
> > I have been done twice and the surgeon guy recommended cycling as soon
as
> > possible.
> >
> > Usual disclaimer !!
> >
> > RG
> >
> > "anderson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > > I am due to undergo keyhole surgury on both of my knees in a couple of weeks time. I am well
> > > aware of the effect it will have on my quad muscles.
> > >
> > > Does anyone have constructive exercises that I can undertake in order
to
> > > get the strength back into my legs in quick time.
> > >
> > > Thanks in advance.
> > >
> > > Michael Anderson
> > >
> > >
> Just had my 3rd full knee reconstruction in February this year and was cycling gently again after
> 4 weeks. Arthroscopy is pretty straightforward (I have had about 10!) and you'll be back in the
> saddle again pretty quickly.
>
> Good luck with it.
>
> Saint

Only under gone one cycling related knee op. Bombing through a forest and as I cornered I lent the
bike. Not knowing what around the corner was stupid but at about 15 - 20 mph my knee closest to the
ground slammed into thigh high tree stump. The doc said I had disintergrated my knee cap. Took me
six weeks to get back on the bike after that. I still corner blind though.

Gadget

Status
Not open for further replies.