Recovery Ride Ruined by Ego

Ego.

Came back to bite me yesterday.

Did a ride from Limerick-Kilkenny-Limerick.
134 mile round trip.

I was literally flying on the outward route.
Got to Kilkenny in 3hrs 23mins.

The road home:rolleyes::rolleyes:
Killed me.
Nearly took me 5 hours.
Blew to pieces.

That's ego for you.

limerickman said:
Ego.

Came back to bite me yesterday.

Did a ride from Limerick-Kilkenny-Limerick.
134 mile round trip.

I was literally flying on the outward route.
Got to Kilkenny in 3hrs 23mins.

The road home:rolleyes::rolleyes:
Killed me.
Nearly took me 5 hours.
Blew to pieces.

That's ego for you.
sounds like a nice route presume there not much climbing involved kilkeny great city

Ever since buying my cheap ass roadie I haven't been passed by anyone but I haven't seen a lycra-clad rider so far.

Just normal people on mountains and some 20+ year old roadies.

I live in Mexico though and cycling isn't very common. I've seen pro-looking guys on the boulevards but never while I'm on the saddle; I wonder if I could keep up for just a few mins.

alienator said:
Oy. When seen from a distance, they'll think you're on a recumbent.

*snicker snicker* That may be more embarrassing than getting savagely dropped. :D

A psychologist would probably have a field day with an inability to compose and control one's self. Sounds like a schoolyard of preteens who can't interact without challenging and competing with each other or maybe an inordinate fear of inferiority or probably any of many other things a psychologist would key on.

LDB said:
A psychologist would probably have a field day with an inability to compose and control one's self. Sounds like a schoolyard of preteens who can't interact without challenging and competing with each other or maybe an inordinate fear of inferiority or probably any of many other things a psychologist would key on.

Very true ,then again to my knowledge not many psychologists win bike races.

limerickman said:
134 mile round trip.

134 miles?. :eek:

I remember the days when I use to bonk quite often, stranded 30 miles from home.

Hell on earth. Get home, eat like a horse.

Yeah. No such thing as a recovery ride in my world. Its eyeballs out on the bike, every ride. I try to catch all riders that are up the road.

I'm always looking to try & drop them. I must admit, when I can't pull it off, its disheartening, but there usually in my wheel drafting.

I am not a racer so my work outs do not include recovery rides. Although I do have an ego and I love to chase down riders up ahead of me. It gives me something to focus on as a goal. When I do catch up I take the time to say hello and BS a little. I move on out if the person is not riding at my desired pace. I have encountered the ocassional person out on a recovery ride. I find that they ussually pick up the pace after telling me so. If I hang in there with them it seems they always try to dump me. Sometimes they succeed and sometimes they dont. In the end I had fun and that is what I am trying to have. :D

Funny, this does happen. Probably it's good for you. You know a little pick up the pace. There's a majority that just want to pass who is in front of them and then they slow down. Not too many maintain the pace. I've seen people do that only to find them later on off their bike catching their breath. Seems kind of dumb. They could at least just go at a slower pace instead of stopping completely.

The urge to ride faster than the others, hmm, that's the main factor why our roads are full of speed maniacs (I'm talking about motorized vehicles). Drivers and riders should learn to pace themselves and should not depend on the pacing of others. Riding faster than you should would only create a disadvantage to you like an injury or an accident.

Another post resurrected from the crypt....I often see riders pass from the other side of the road, have passed people and have been passed. If its not a club ride, I prefer to have space between me and the other ride. Wether that means me speeding up, slowing down,etc... A competitive edge like that with a stranger is taking for trouble. When you ride with a group enough, you begin to pickup the habits of other riders(speed, riding style,etc...).

Going all out with a stranger who I know nothing about? If I got into an accident with another rider in those circumstances, i'd feel like a ahole.