Reflective Jackets

9lines

May 7, 2015
How important are reflective jackets while cycling? I do wear reflective clothing while cycling. It is advisable to wear in the evening or when fog so that you can be visible to other road users. Do you consider wearing reflective clothing?

Huh, it's only now I realized that I don't have a reflective jacket. I have my reflectorized leather helmet and knee pads plus the reflector stickers on my bike seem enough safety measure. But anyway, reflectors are only needed at night and lately I am not biking anymore after dinner. My husband and I just take a walk around the block for a little exercise and bonding time too.

I only use my helmet which has reflective stickers on and of course I use this particular helmet only when it is dark outside. To be honest I don't use my bike when it gets dark that often anyway. it is a must for your safety though when using your bike during night time.

Well, I never ride during the evenings and it seldom gets foggy in my neck of the woods. It's very sunny in these parts and I seldom see any other riders with reflective jackets. However, I do tend to wear light colored clothing because it helps me stay cool and increase my visibility to other road users. A white t-shirt and light beige shorts seem to do the trick. This is usually the most common attire I wear when I'm cycling during a hot summer's day.

I do not have any reflective jackets at all. I rely mainly on the bike itself that has those reflective stickers. Having said that before I leave I had to be sure that I wear clothes that could be seen easily in the dark or fog.

I rely more on attachable lights than reflective clothing. I like knowing that I can be seen from a distance, particularly since some of the places that I cycle don't have street lights.

That being said, I do have a set of reflective cuffs that I can either wear on my wrists or ankles, and I almost always wear them at night. I just don't rely on reflectors as my main way to stay visible.