Renovating Aluminium Frame

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Lionel Scales, Mar 28, 2003.

  1. I want to renovate my 5 y-o Scott aluminium MTB frame - loads of flaking paint and bare patches
    where sweat and the aluminium/steel interfaces have ruined it. Not looking to restore it to original
    condition. Appears structurally sound. Paint stripper or sand-blasting? Enamel, powder-coat, clear
    lacquer? Just want it looking reasonable and well-protected. Any thoughts? Cheers.

    Tags:

  2. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    Lionel Scales <[email protected]> wrote:
    > I want to renovate my 5 y-o Scott aluminium MTB frame - loads of flaking paint and bare
    > patches where sweat and the aluminium/steel interfaces have ruined it. Not looking to restore
    > it to original condition. Appears structurally sound. Paint stripper or sand-blasting?
    > Enamel, powder-coat, clear lacquer? Just want it looking reasonable and well-protected. Any
    > thoughts? Cheers.

    Bead blasting is the way to go. Sand blasting will damage the frame as will some paint strippers.

    Tony

    --
    http://www.raven-family.com

    "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable man persists in trying to
    adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man." -- George
    Bernard Shaw

  3. "Tony Raven" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...

    > Bead blasting is the way to go. Sand blasting will damage the frame as will some paint strippers.

    Re. paint strippers; Nitromors or similar should be OK, as it's based on dichloromethane and is
    pretty much neutral. Ones which are acid or alkaline (particularly the latter, being likely to
    contain ammonia, NaOH, or similar) ought to be avoided, as they will certainly attack Al.

    David E. Belcher

    Dept. of Chemistry, University of York

  4. Tony & David - Many thanks for the info. (What type of beads are used in bead-blasting?)

    Cheers, Lionel

    news:[email protected]...