Renshaw out for headbutting

Eldrack

Jan 10, 2005
Disqualified from the race for headbutting in the run in to the finish. It'll be interesting to see if Cav can win any more stages without Renshaw, that man really is the best leadout artist in the world.

I thought that was excessive. I remember when Mcewen did the same thing all they did was relegate him to the back of the pack.

So when Oscar Feire pulls cr@p like this on a run in (constant shoulder bumping and a few head "nudges") on the run in the other day it's all good...

... but when an English speaking guy does it gets him booted out the race.

Fcuk 'em.

swampy1970 said:
So when Oscar Feire pulls cr@p like this on a run in (constant shoulder bumping and a few head "nudges") on the run in the other day it's all good...

... but when an English speaking guy does it gets him booted out the race.

Fcuk 'em.

LOL! Persecuted because of the language he speaks. I've long known, and you've demonstrated time and time again, that you've got issues, but this takes the cake...get a re-fill on your meds as soon as possible...

The commissaires did the right thing in sending this message. Renshaw's actions were ridiculously dangerous. He wasn't nudging or making his way, he was violently butting. Clear and simple. Nip this behavior in the bud...

Disgusting behaviour, and extremely dangerous too. That sought of stuff could lead to crashes like the one between Cav and Haussler in the Tour of Switzerland and cause major injuries to the riders, which speaking of, we have seen enough of already.

I am all for this banning, put down the law!!!

Race director Jean-Francois Pescheux reviewed the film, which shows Renshaw repeatedly head-butting Garmin-Transitions man Julian Dean, who was leading out Tyler Farrar. The move delayed Farrar's ability to sprint.
"Renshaw hit [Dean] with his head, much like in a keirin....

So it's OK for UCI track events but not "his" race?

Nice uniform application of the rules. It'd be interesting to see what Dean says... At least he's not a soft c0ck when it comes to matters of a bit of argy-bargy.

From Velonews:

Cavendish saw it differently.

I can’t understand why the commissaires made the decision. It’s against what we as a team believes happened. ... Mark used his head to get a bit of space, which kept everybody upright.

I beg to differ Mr. Cavendish. I saw what happened, and it wasn't to get a bit of space. It was an overt act of aggression, and anyone who sees the video will have a hard time justifying otherwise. One can't resort to plain old headbutting to gain a sprinting advantage.

If something like this were left unpunished, the organizers may as well hand out sponsor-logo'd pugle sticks before the stage.

... hmmm. I keep watching it and look for the bit were Dean was forced to move off his line or if any real contact was made. Didn't happen.

I guess it was in violation of "the spirit of the sport" or some spurious rule somewhere... but elbows and shoulders are still allowed.

Renshaw makes a couple of headbutt movements towards Deans' head and Dean doesn't flinch - not even a mm.

swampy1970 said:
Renshaw makes a couple of headbutt movements towards Deans' head and Dean doesn't flinch - not even a mm.

Maybe, but the intent seemed visibly obvious nonetheless, hence the severity of the punishment that's been handed to him. Whether he actually made contact with Dean shouldn't matter.

Take a look at the and see, in relation to the road and the barriers where the two riders where when they first started riding next to each other which was right on the white line... In the footage I've been watching on Versus, the view changes but a a few seconds later when the headbutts happen they've gone from riding on the white lane marker to much further over on the right towards the barrier which support what Cav and Renshaw said in their post race interviews. Note that Dean is in there with his elbows too... it certainly wasn't all coming from Renshaw.

Given that the barriers move inwards, if Renshaw had continued riding in the direction that Dean was pushing his he would have been in the barriers.

Cavendish saw it differently.
“I can’t understand why the commissaires made the decision,” Cavendish said. “It’s against what we as a team believes happened. We’ll just have to see what happens. I’m very sad.”

“We came around the last corner in good position. Julian Dean came around on the right, and hooked his left elbow over Mark’s right elbow. Mark used his head to get a bit of space, which kept everybody upright.”

Speaking before being informed of the decision, Renshaw claimed he had been in danger of being put into the barriers by Dean.

“The guy (Dean) came across from me … either he keeps turning left, puts me in the barrier and I crash, or I try to lean against him.
“I didn’t have another option. It’s all about sprinting straight.”

As Eldrack wrote, now we'll see what Cavendish can do without Renshaw. It wasn't much during the season.
As for the incident, Dean's intention was to close Cavendish. It was visible from helicopter shots. So, Renshaw was protecting the line, it was probably too aggressive, but I wouldn't say it was for exclusion.

Take another example... Costa had elbowed Barredo in the ribs a couple of days ago with about 20km of the stage to go. After the finish smashes Barredo over the head with his front wheel and the two start punching each other.

All this is captured on tape.

The result? Kicked off the Tour? Hell no. A poxy $400 fine and not even a slap on the wrists.

Renshaw tries to headbutt Dean upside the head when being nudged towards the barriers and Dean has his elbows flaring and he gets booted.

Double standards.

Where Renshaw did f**kup was in impeding Farrar moments later. Whether this was intentional or not isn't clear but THIS is the incident (impeding a rider and possibly causing a crash) that should have been noted.

swampy1970 said:
Where Renshaw did f**kup was in impeding Farrar moments later. Whether this was intentional or not isn't clear but THIS is the incident (impeding a rider and possibly causing a crash) that should have been noted.

Apparently, Farrar and Dean both make the same point:

After seeing the replay on television, Farrar said, "Watching it in replay, I think Renshaw should be thrown off the race. This is the worst I've seen this year. It's really inappropriate, first against Julian and then he puts me in the fence. I didn't realise what he did to Julian. That's really inappropriate and is a danger to everyone else on the road. It's incredible. First what he does to Julian. Then as soon as Cav passes, he comes over on me on the fence."

As for the expulsion, I agree it seems severe as compared to the fighting incident, but then again, I'd much rather have a skinny cyclist attempt to hit me over the head with a lightweight carbon wheel than be forced into a crash at 70kph.

swampy1970 said:
Take another example... Costa had elbowed Barredo in the ribs a couple of days ago with about 20km of the stage to go. After the finish smashes Barredo over the head with his front wheel and the two start punching each other.

The result? Kicked off the Tour? Hell no. A poxy $400 fine and not even a slap on the wrists.

Renshaw tries to headbutt Dean upside the head when being nudged towards the barriers and Dean has his elbows flaring and he gets booted.

Double standards.

Exactly.
He was probably mad because of Dean's effort and did that intentionally, but again - it wasn't for exclusion.
Great bike handling from Renshaw. 40 - 45 mph headbutt deserves a jersey.

Ted B said:
Apparently, Farrar and Dean both make the same point:

After seeing the replay on television, Farrar said, "Watching it in replay, I think Renshaw should be thrown off the race. This is the worst I've seen this year. It's really inappropriate, first against Julian and then he puts me in the fence. I didn't realise what he did to Julian. That's really inappropriate and is a danger to everyone else on the road. It's incredible. First what he does to Julian. Then as soon as Cav passes, he comes over on me on the fence."

As for the expulsion, I agree it seems severe as compared to the fighting incident, but then again, I'd much rather have a skinny cyclist attempt to hit me over the head with a lightweight carbon wheel than be forced into a crash at 70kph.
Farrar and Dean are Garmin's gay couple. They started the fight and now they're crying because they were beaten.

From 0:26

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oen6ZcoVOa4]YouTube - Mark Renshaw Head Butts Julian Dean at 2010 Tour de France[/ame]

It was Dean who wanted to play dirty. Afterwards, it was Renshaw's payback.

swampy1970 said:

Double standards.

Flippin' commissaires! After closer examination, I'm beginnin' to agree here on this conspiracy. It's just those damn non-English speaking people always trying to keep the English speakers down! Damn non-Anglophones - to heck with 'em! LOL!:D

It does look like Dean cut across and tried to cut Renshaw out. That said head butting is in retaliation is a bit over the top.

Personnally I don't agree with Renshaw being chucked out. Relegated and fined, yes. Kicked out is too far given the circumstances although I respect the fact the commissaires can't be seen to be taking it easy.

Some of you people amaze me.

That was a full out Zidane... TWICE.... with intention non the less..

But the move he pulled on Farrar, was pretty dirty as well.

Was the penalty harsh? sure. will it get the message across to stop this type of things? probably more than just relegating a guy to the back of the pack on a tour he is not expecting to win anyways.