Reproofing Altura jacket

Tim Hall

Guest
My Altura Nevislite is not as waterproof as it should be. I got very
wet over the weekend- it wasn't all perspiration as it used to keep me
drier.

What's the reproofing stuff of choice? The label says it's Polyester
face with Nylon back, so I'd say not a particularly hitech whizz bang
breathable material.

Tim

On 3 Jul, 13:11, Tim Hall <[email protected]> wrote:
> My Altura Nevislite is not as waterproof as it should be. I got very
> wet over the weekend- it wasn't all perspiration as it used to keep me
> drier.
>
> What's the reproofing stuff of choice? The label says it's Polyester
> face with Nylon back, so I'd say not a particularly hitech whizz bang
> breathable material.
>
> Tim

According to Nikwax their TX Direct Wash-in will do the job. You can
probably pick one up from a local outdoor shop for around £6. One
bottle should do a few washes.

Colin

"Colin MacDonald" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
On 3 Jul, 13:11, Tim Hall <[email protected]> wrote:
> My Altura Nevislite is not as waterproof as it should be. I got very
> wet over the weekend- it wasn't all perspiration as it used to keep me
> drier.
>
> What's the reproofing stuff of choice? The label says it's Polyester
> face with Nylon back, so I'd say not a particularly hitech whizz bang
> breathable material.
>
> Tim

According to Nikwax their TX Direct Wash-in will do the job. You can
probably pick one up from a local outdoor shop for around £6. One
bottle should do a few washes.

Or get a free bag to do one jacket from their website if the quiz is still
there.

Jc.

Colin MacDonald wrote:
> On 3 Jul, 13:11, Tim Hall <[email protected]> wrote:
>> My Altura Nevislite is not as waterproof as it should be. I got very
>> wet over the weekend- it wasn't all perspiration as it used to keep
>> me drier.
>>
>> What's the reproofing stuff of choice? The label says it's Polyester
>> face with Nylon back, so I'd say not a particularly hitech whizz bang
>> breathable material.
>>
>> Tim

> According to Nikwax their TX Direct Wash-in will do the job. You can
> probably pick one up from a local outdoor shop for around £6. One
> bottle should do a few washes.

I'd suggest the same.

However, for those on a severe budget and willing to risk a non-precious bit
of waterproof clothing, I've read that ordinary fabric softeners (Comfort,
etc) will achieve similar results.

Personally, I stick with the Nikwax products

- Nigel

--
Nigel Cliffe,
Webmaster at http://www.2mm.org.uk/

"Josey" <nospam@josey> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Colin MacDonald" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> On 3 Jul, 13:11, Tim Hall <[email protected]> wrote:
>> My Altura Nevislite is not as waterproof as it should be. I got very
>> wet over the weekend- it wasn't all perspiration as it used to keep me
>> drier.
>>
>> What's the reproofing stuff of choice? The label says it's Polyester
>> face with Nylon back, so I'd say not a particularly hitech whizz bang
>> breathable material.
>>
>> Tim

> According to Nikwax their TX Direct Wash-in will do the job. You can
> probably pick one up from a local outdoor shop for around £6. One
> bottle should do a few washes.
>

> Or get a free bag to do one jacket from their website if the quiz is still
> there.
>
> Jc.

Mine has been washed with the Nikwax stuff and then I've sprayed it with the
Nikwax tent proofing stuff - seems to give more "run off" for rain.

RG

On Tue, 3 Jul 2007 20:23:51 +0100, "Nigel Cliffe" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Colin MacDonald wrote:
>> On 3 Jul, 13:11, Tim Hall <[email protected]> wrote:
>>> My Altura Nevislite is not as waterproof as it should be. I got very
>>> wet over the weekend- it wasn't all perspiration as it used to keep
>>> me drier.
>>>
>>> What's the reproofing stuff of choice? The label says it's Polyester
>>> face with Nylon back, so I'd say not a particularly hitech whizz bang
>>> breathable material.
>>>
>>> Tim

>> According to Nikwax their TX Direct Wash-in will do the job. You can
>> probably pick one up from a local outdoor shop for around £6. One
>> bottle should do a few washes.

>I'd suggest the same.

Thanks everyone. I think there may well be a bottle of Tx Direct in
the back of the cupboard.
>However, for those on a severe budget and willing to risk a non-precious bit
>of waterproof clothing, I've read that ordinary fabric softeners (Comfort,
>etc) will achieve similar results.

A softness and a freshness you've never felt before?

>Personally, I stick with the Nikwax products

Sounds a good plan.

Tim

Have you tried just ironing the jacket?
Apparantly the heat reactivates the water repellence.

Jim J

"Tim Hall" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Tue, 3 Jul 2007 20:23:51 +0100, "Nigel Cliffe" <[email protected]>
> wrote:
>

> A softness and a freshness you've never felt before?

I tried comfort pure. It smelt nice, but I couldn't seem much difference in
the jacket's beading afterwards, I can see some difference with TXdirect. It
doesn't smell as nice though ;-)

Jc

In article <[email protected]>, Josey wrote:

>"Colin MacDonald" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>On 3 Jul, 13:11, Tim Hall <[email protected]> wrote:
>> My Altura Nevislite is not as waterproof as it should be. I got very
>> wet over the weekend- it wasn't all perspiration as it used to keep me
>> drier.
>>
>> What's the reproofing stuff of choice? The label says it's Polyester
>> face with Nylon back, so I'd say not a particularly hitech whizz bang
>> breathable material.
>> Tim

>According to Nikwax their TX Direct Wash-in will do the job. You can
>probably pick one up from a local outdoor shop for around £6. One
>bottle should do a few washes.

For a not-breathable fabric, something like Granger's Fabsil would
also work, and possibly be more waterproof than something like the TX
which is designed to leave breathable fabrics still breathing.

>Or get a free bag to do one jacket from their website if the quiz is still
>there.

http://www.nikwax.co.uk/en-gb/webquiz/index.php is there, but currently
the prize is a sachet of BaseWash

On 3 Jul, 21:18, "Jim" <[email protected]> wrote:
> Have you tried just ironing the jacket?
> Apparantly the heat reactivates the water repellence.

There's an element of truth in that; the heat, as I understand it,
realigns the fibres of the fabric so that the water runs off more
easily. Think of water beading on animal fur and you'll get the idea,
but, significantly, it will still wet out if there is enough rain. I
wouldn't expect ironing to be as effective as a 'proper' reproofing,
though it might be partially useful for a while at least.

Colin

"Tim Hall" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> My Altura Nevislite is not as waterproof as it should be. I got very
> wet over the weekend- it wasn't all perspiration as it used to keep me
> drier.
>

> What's the reproofing stuff of choice? The label says it's Polyester
> face with Nylon back, so I'd say not a particularly hitech whizz bang
> breathable material.

IME Nikwax wash in stuff is rubbish.

"Jim" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Have you tried just ironing the jacket?
> Apparantly the heat reactivates the water repellence.
>
> Jim J

Think that depends on the fabric etc.

My daughter has a Berghaus GoreTex walking jacket and the instructions on
that say to iron it to help re-proof.

With a jacket that is polyester and nylon though it may not be a brill idea
unless it is a rather cool iron.

Dave