General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

RFC Cookbook

Started by Michael \Dog3\ Lonergan · · Last activity · 153 posts · 1,795 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
1 April 2006
Last activity
8 April 2006
Original author
Michael \Dog3\ Lonergan
Posts
153
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,795
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 41–60 of 153
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Nancy Young said:

    "rosie" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:

    Nancy Young wrote:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Perhaps something like Habitat for Humanity has something
    going especially for Katrina? Or should we stick to a food
    charity. Probably. Second Harvest of New Orleans? Or
    maybe some other community that isn't getting the spotlight
    that New Orleans is.

    Quoted message said:

    Either of those sound good to me, I am sure with all the creative
    minds around here something could be agreed on.... well.... maybe not
    LOL

    Hee hee ... actually, when push came to shove, a lot of people
    managed to work together in harmony to get the last book done.
    Only spats came about after all the work was done and people
    who didn't lift a finger to get it done suddenly had strong opinions.

    We get along just fine when we have to. Strange bedfellows and
    all that.

    nancy

    RFC is just like any other family or small community..... ;-D

    I do post on other groups, but this one and abf are my favorites! There
    are several people that post here that are there also.
    --
    Peace, Om.

    "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-[censored]." -Jack Nicholson

  2. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Sheldon said:
    Nancy Young said:

    "Michael "Dog3" Lonergan" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:

    We have so many new folks now. Do you think another cookbook is in order?
    Many of the new folks have a lot to offer. I doubt Victor would want to
    organize it again but maybe I'm wrong. Victor is a very good organizer. It
    was a pretty big effort and I'm not sure if anyone is up to it. I'll help
    edit again. I might even help with distribution in the Midwest. I think
    a
    Katrina effort would be worthwhile. Maybe I'm just way off base.

    I think we have the process much streamlined from what we learned
    the first time. Second time should be easier (sounds like we're talking
    about having a baby, doesn't it?).

    I'd be willing to pitch in, just not as treasurer. Not because of the
    work, because it seems best.

    Yeah, but... then who better can I trust with my wallet?

    Sheldon

    You could always volunteer... ;-)

    I'd trust you!

    I wish I had the time to volunteer! The most I could offer to do would
    be to burn files onto CD. My computer has a built in CD burner that is
    quite efficient. I know that the text files using text edit and the
    jpegs work just fine on the Microsoft PC at work.

    I drive an i-Mac using OS-X.
    --
    Peace, Om.

    "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-[censored]." -Jack Nicholson

  3. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Wayne Boatwright wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com said:

    On Sat 01 Apr 2006 03:45:57a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Nathalie
    Chiva?

    Quoted message said:
    Nancy Young said:


    "Damsel in dis Dress" <[email hidden]> wrote

    > I'd be willing to work on one as well. I've got a couple new recipes
    > that I'd be willing to share. You know how stingy I normally am about
    > sharing recipes!

    Heh.

    I wonder if we'd have enough of an interest in people buying the books.
    I'm not feeling the momentum.

    I would buy a few, and I would submit a recipe or two gladly :-)

    Nathalie in Switzerland

    I would buy two this time. I honestly couldn't afford to buy one last
    time, and I was generously gifted with one. I would also happily
    contribute something new.

    What was the cost?
    Seems to me they would make awesome christmas gifts if they were not too
    expensive.
    --
    Peace, Om.

    "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-[censored]." -Jack Nicholson

  4. LadyJane said:


    Was around in the era of Mimi's Cyberkitchen (wonder whether it's still
    going?) seems like eons ago!

    As others have said, Mimi and her Cyberkitchen are still around, Mimi's
    great!

    Doug
    --
    Doug Weller --
    A Director and Moderator of The Hall of Ma'at http://www.hallofmaat.com
    Doug's Archaeology Site: http://www.ramtops.co.uk
    Amun - co-owner/co-moderator http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Amun/

  5. "jmcquown" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Michael 'Dog3' Lonergan said:

    "LadyJane" <[email hidden]> hitched up their panties and
    posted news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:

    Have rediscovered rec.food.cooking again after a hiatus of nearly 12
    (or more maybe) years. Forgot how comforting and enjoyable the
    newsgroup was. <sigh>
    Was around in the era of Mimi's Cyberkitchen (wonder whether it's
    still going?) seems like eons ago!
    I had no idea a RFC cookbook - original or second/third....etc
    edition - even existed! Is/are it/they still available?
    Would love a copy if so!

    LadyJane
    --
    "Never trust a skinny cook!"

    Good to see you back! I went on a long hiatuse also and came back in
    the 90s. I don't know if anyone has an extra copy of the cookbook.
    My extras have all been given as gifts.

    Michael

    I actually have two extra copies, although one has already been designated
    to go to Joseph Littleshoes. I still have to get to the post office to
    figure out how much it will cost to ship and I guess I'll figure out how
    to
    use my rusty (not trusty!) Paypal account. The cost might be prohibitive
    to
    mail one to Australia for Lady Jane, though.

    Jill

    If Australia is out, I'll take it. I asked before and no one seemed to have
    extras at that time. Heck, I'll pay for Joseph's shipping, too! I can send a
    check in advance, so you needn't bother with paypal. Unless this thing is a
    huge tome, it ought to fit in one of those priority mail thingies, and
    that's a flat rate. If you wanted to go cheap, you tell the post office it's
    printed material, and it goes a lot cheaper, and also a lot slower. Given a
    choice, I'd pay the priority mail and it gets handled a little better on the
    way.

    Donna

  6. "D.Currie" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:

    If Australia is out, I'll take it.

    Lady Jane is taken care of.

    nancy

  7. "Nancy Young" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "D.Currie" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:

    If Australia is out, I'll take it.

    Lady Jane is taken care of.

    nancy

    I guess I'll just have to start lobbying for the next version.

    But hey, if two have been published already, would it make any sense to
    combine the two and publish that as a single volume? If someone still has
    the original files or access to the two books, it would eliminate a lot of
    work. And then add whatever new recipes come in as well.

    I'd be willing to help with whatever is needed, except things involving
    money. Not that I'd lose it, but it just would never balance.

    Donna

  8. "D.Currie" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:

    "Nancy Young" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Lady Jane is taken care of.

    Quoted message said:

    I guess I'll just have to start lobbying for the next version.

    I am so sorry, I put it badly. What I meant was that Jill should still
    have an extra for you.

    Quoted message said:

    But hey, if two have been published already, would it make any sense to
    combine the two and publish that as a single volume? If someone still has
    the original files or access to the two books, it would eliminate a lot of
    work. And then add whatever new recipes come in as well.

    Actually, we had two printings of the same book. It's only one
    book.

    Quoted message said:

    I'd be willing to help with whatever is needed, except things involving
    money. Not that I'd lose it, but it just would never balance.

    Yeah, it's a bit of recordkeeping, lists lists lists. No big deal.

    nancy

  9. "OmManiPadmeOmelet" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Sheldon said:
    Nancy Young said:

    "Michael "Dog3" Lonergan" <[email hidden]> wrote

    > We have so many new folks now. Do you think another cookbook is in
    > order?
    > Many of the new folks have a lot to offer. I doubt Victor would want
    > to
    > organize it again but maybe I'm wrong. Victor is a very good
    > organizer. It
    > was a pretty big effort and I'm not sure if anyone is up to it. I'll
    > help
    > edit again. I might even help with distribution in the Midwest. I
    > think
    > a
    > Katrina effort would be worthwhile. Maybe I'm just way off base.

    I think we have the process much streamlined from what we learned
    the first time. Second time should be easier (sounds like we're
    talking
    about having a baby, doesn't it?).

    I'd be willing to pitch in, just not as treasurer. Not because of the
    work, because it seems best.

    Yeah, but... then who better can I trust with my wallet?

    Sheldon

    You could always volunteer... ;-)

    I'd trust you!

    I wish I had the time to volunteer! The most I could offer to do would
    be to burn files onto CD. My computer has a built in CD burner that is
    quite efficient. I know that the text files using text edit and the
    jpegs work just fine on the Microsoft PC at work.

    I drive an i-Mac using OS-X.

    You know, burning the book to a CD would cut down a lot on costs. Printing,
    binding...mailing.

    The files could be set up as a PDF or even an e-book. But it would make it
    easy to duplicate, if that's an issue. Anyone could burn copies of a CD, so
    you wouldn't be selling multiples to people, they'd just buy one and make
    copies as they needed. Considering this isn't a commercial venture, I don't
    know if that's an issue or not.

  10. D.Currie said:

    "jmcquown" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Michael 'Dog3' Lonergan said:

    "LadyJane" <[email hidden]> hitched up their panties
    and posted
    news:[email hidden]:

    > Have rediscovered rec.food.cooking again after a hiatus of nearly
    > 12 (or more maybe) years. Forgot how comforting and enjoyable the
    > newsgroup was. <sigh>
    > Was around in the era of Mimi's Cyberkitchen (wonder whether it's
    > still going?) seems like eons ago!
    > I had no idea a RFC cookbook - original or second/third....etc
    > edition - even existed! Is/are it/they still available?
    > Would love a copy if so!
    >
    > LadyJane
    > --
    > "Never trust a skinny cook!"
    >

    Good to see you back! I went on a long hiatuse also and came back
    in the 90s. I don't know if anyone has an extra copy of the
    cookbook.
    My extras have all been given as gifts.

    Michael

    I actually have two extra copies, although one has already been
    designated to go to Joseph Littleshoes. I still have to get to the
    post office to figure out how much it will cost to ship and I guess
    I'll figure out how to
    use my rusty (not trusty!) Paypal account. The cost might be
    prohibitive to
    mail one to Australia for Lady Jane, though.

    Jill

    If Australia is out, I'll take it. I asked before and no one seemed
    to have extras at that time. Heck, I'll pay for Joseph's shipping,
    too! I can send a check in advance, so you needn't bother with
    paypal. Unless this thing is a huge tome, it ought to fit in one of
    those priority mail thingies, and that's a flat rate. If you wanted
    to go cheap, you tell the post office it's printed material, and it
    goes a lot cheaper, and also a lot slower. Given a choice, I'd pay
    the priority mail and it gets handled a little better on the way.

    Donna

    Donna, you can have my extra copy. It's not a huge tome; it's a spiral
    bound 148 page thing like you'd find church groups or junior league type
    places putting together for fundraising. I still need to calculate the
    weight; anyone know what the US postage might be? I can't get to the post
    office to have it weighed until next week.

    And yes, a check would work just fine! (I trust you!)

    Jill

  11. D.Currie said:

    "OmManiPadmeOmelet" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Sheldon said:

    Nancy Young wrote:
    > "Michael "Dog3" Lonergan" <[email hidden]> wrote
    >
    >> We have so many new folks now. Do you think another cookbook is
    >> in order?
    >> Many of the new folks have a lot to offer. I doubt Victor would
    >> want to
    >> organize it again but maybe I'm wrong. Victor is a very good
    >> organizer. It
    >> was a pretty big effort and I'm not sure if anyone is up to it.
    >> I'll help
    >> edit again. I might even help with distribution in the Midwest.
    >> I think
    >> a
    >> Katrina effort would be worthwhile. Maybe I'm just way off base.
    >
    > I think we have the process much streamlined from what we learned
    > the first time. Second time should be easier (sounds like we're
    > talking
    > about having a baby, doesn't it?).
    >
    > I'd be willing to pitch in, just not as treasurer. Not because of
    > the work, because it seems best.

    Yeah, but... then who better can I trust with my wallet?

    Sheldon

    You could always volunteer... ;-)

    I'd trust you!

    I wish I had the time to volunteer! The most I could offer to do
    would
    be to burn files onto CD. My computer has a built in CD burner that
    is quite efficient. I know that the text files using text edit and
    the
    jpegs work just fine on the Microsoft PC at work.

    I drive an i-Mac using OS-X.

    You know, burning the book to a CD would cut down a lot on costs.
    Printing, binding...mailing.

    The files could be set up as a PDF or even an e-book. But it would
    make it easy to duplicate, if that's an issue. Anyone could burn
    copies of a CD, so you wouldn't be selling multiples to people,
    they'd just buy one and make copies as they needed. Considering this
    isn't a commercial venture, I don't know if that's an issue or not.

    It *is* an issue because the book was created with all proceeds to go to
    charity. The object isn't to let someone make as many copies as they want
    with the push of a button; it's to make sure the proceeds go to the selected
    charity.

    Another factor (which was personal to me and I mentioned in the original
    "argument" against CD's) was I wanted to give the book as gifts. My parents
    and some other older family members don't have a computer.

    Jill

  12. OmManiPadmeOmelet said:


    What was the cost?
    Seems to me they would make awesome christmas gifts if they were not too
    expensive.
    --
    Peace, Om.

    I believe they were $13.00 at the time, including shipping.

    Dora

  13. "Nancy Young" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:


    "D.Currie" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:

    "Nancy Young" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Lady Jane is taken care of.

    Quoted message said:

    I guess I'll just have to start lobbying for the next version.

    I am so sorry, I put it badly. What I meant was that Jill should still
    have an extra for you.

    Yea! :-) Somebody tell me where to send money and how much and I'm all over
    it.

    Quoted message said:


    Quoted message said:

    But hey, if two have been published already, would it make any sense to
    combine the two and publish that as a single volume? If someone still has
    the original files or access to the two books, it would eliminate a lot
    of work. And then add whatever new recipes come in as well.

    Actually, we had two printings of the same book. It's only one
    book.

    Ah! Now I see....

    Quoted message said:


    Quoted message said:

    I'd be willing to help with whatever is needed, except things involving
    money. Not that I'd lose it, but it just would never balance.

    Yeah, it's a bit of recordkeeping, lists lists lists. No big deal.

    nancy

    Easy for you to say. My checkbook is always just a little confused. I'd
    never subject other people's money to that sort of torture!

    Donna

  14. "jmcquown" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    D.Currie said:

    "jmcquown" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    Michael "Dog3" Lonergan wrote:
    > "LadyJane" <[email hidden]> hitched up their panties
    > and posted
    > news:[email hidden]:
    >
    >> Have rediscovered rec.food.cooking again after a hiatus of nearly
    >> 12 (or more maybe) years. Forgot how comforting and enjoyable the
    >> newsgroup was. <sigh>
    >> Was around in the era of Mimi's Cyberkitchen (wonder whether it's
    >> still going?) seems like eons ago!
    >> I had no idea a RFC cookbook - original or second/third....etc
    >> edition - even existed! Is/are it/they still available?
    >> Would love a copy if so!
    >>
    >> LadyJane
    >> --
    >> "Never trust a skinny cook!"
    >>
    >
    > Good to see you back! I went on a long hiatuse also and came back
    > in the 90s. I don't know if anyone has an extra copy of the
    > cookbook.
    > My extras have all been given as gifts.
    >
    > Michael

    I actually have two extra copies, although one has already been
    designated to go to Joseph Littleshoes. I still have to get to the
    post office to figure out how much it will cost to ship and I guess
    I'll figure out how to
    use my rusty (not trusty!) Paypal account. The cost might be
    prohibitive to
    mail one to Australia for Lady Jane, though.

    Jill

    If Australia is out, I'll take it. I asked before and no one seemed
    to have extras at that time. Heck, I'll pay for Joseph's shipping,
    too! I can send a check in advance, so you needn't bother with
    paypal. Unless this thing is a huge tome, it ought to fit in one of
    those priority mail thingies, and that's a flat rate. If you wanted
    to go cheap, you tell the post office it's printed material, and it
    goes a lot cheaper, and also a lot slower. Given a choice, I'd pay
    the priority mail and it gets handled a little better on the way.

    Donna

    Donna, you can have my extra copy. It's not a huge tome; it's a spiral
    bound 148 page thing like you'd find church groups or junior league type
    places putting together for fundraising. I still need to calculate the
    weight; anyone know what the US postage might be? I can't get to the post
    office to have it weighed until next week.

    And yes, a check would work just fine! (I trust you!)

    Jill

    If you stuff it in one of those priority mail things, it's a flat fee and
    fast shipping. I just checked the PO website and the flat fee is either
    $4.05 or $8.10 depending on which shipping thing it fits into.

    Email me when you know how much I should send. dbcurrie at gmail dot com is
    probably the best addy.

    Donna

  15. "limey" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:

    I believe they were $13.00 at the time, including shipping.

    And, don't forget, including a donation, too.

    nancy

  16. "jmcquown" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:

    Donna, you can have my extra copy. It's not a huge tome; it's a spiral
    bound 148 page thing like you'd find church groups or junior league type
    places putting together for fundraising. I still need to calculate the
    weight; anyone know what the US postage might be?

    $2.55, or $1.87 media rate.

    nancy

  17. "jmcquown" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    D.Currie said:

    "OmManiPadmeOmelet" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,
    "Sheldon" <[email hidden]> wrote:

    > Nancy Young wrote:
    >> "Michael "Dog3" Lonergan" <[email hidden]> wrote
    >>
    >>> We have so many new folks now. Do you think another cookbook is
    >>> in order?
    >>> Many of the new folks have a lot to offer. I doubt Victor would
    >>> want to
    >>> organize it again but maybe I'm wrong. Victor is a very good
    >>> organizer. It
    >>> was a pretty big effort and I'm not sure if anyone is up to it.
    >>> I'll help
    >>> edit again. I might even help with distribution in the Midwest.
    >>> I think
    >>> a
    >>> Katrina effort would be worthwhile. Maybe I'm just way off base.
    >>
    >> I think we have the process much streamlined from what we learned
    >> the first time. Second time should be easier (sounds like we're
    >> talking
    >> about having a baby, doesn't it?).
    >>
    >> I'd be willing to pitch in, just not as treasurer. Not because of
    >> the work, because it seems best.
    >
    > Yeah, but... then who better can I trust with my wallet?
    >
    > Sheldon
    >

    You could always volunteer... ;-)

    I'd trust you!

    I wish I had the time to volunteer! The most I could offer to do
    would
    be to burn files onto CD. My computer has a built in CD burner that
    is quite efficient. I know that the text files using text edit and
    the
    jpegs work just fine on the Microsoft PC at work.

    I drive an i-Mac using OS-X.

    You know, burning the book to a CD would cut down a lot on costs.
    Printing, binding...mailing.

    The files could be set up as a PDF or even an e-book. But it would
    make it easy to duplicate, if that's an issue. Anyone could burn
    copies of a CD, so you wouldn't be selling multiples to people,
    they'd just buy one and make copies as they needed. Considering this
    isn't a commercial venture, I don't know if that's an issue or not.

    It *is* an issue because the book was created with all proceeds to go to
    charity. The object isn't to let someone make as many copies as they want
    with the push of a button; it's to make sure the proceeds go to the
    selected
    charity.

    Another factor (which was personal to me and I mentioned in the original
    "argument" against CD's) was I wanted to give the book as gifts. My
    parents
    and some other older family members don't have a computer.

    Jill

    That makes sense.

    To be honest, there are times I'd rather have a book to hold, anyway. I have
    a lot of cookbooks that I like to browse through, and it's just not the same
    as looking things up on the computer. Something about curling up with the
    book and turning the pages and just sort of wandering around the recipes
    that just doesn't work with a computer.

    Donna

  18. "Nancy Young" wrote >

    Quoted message said:

    "limey" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:

    I believe they were $13.00 at the time, including shipping.

    And, don't forget, including a donation, too.

    nancy

    Right - and all the effort resulted in a contribution to Second Harvest in
    the amount of between $6,000 and $7,000. Phenomenal.

    Dora

  19. Nancy Young said:

    "jmcquown" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:

    Donna, you can have my extra copy. It's not a huge tome; it's a
    spiral bound 148 page thing like you'd find church groups or junior
    league type places putting together for fundraising. I still need
    to calculate the weight; anyone know what the US postage might be?

    $2.55, or $1.87 media rate.

    nancy

    That's in a regular shipping envelope, not the priority mail thingey
    provided by the post office, right? Sounds much better than $4.05!

    Jill

  20. "jmcquown" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:

    Nancy Young wrote:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    $2.55, or $1.87 media rate.

    Quoted message said:

    That's in a regular shipping envelope, not the priority mail thingey
    provided by the post office, right? Sounds much better than $4.05!

    Yeah ... I was thinking if you knew those amounts, you might
    know how much it weighed.

    nancy

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.