General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

RFC Cookbook

Started by Michael \Dog3\ Lonergan · · Last activity · 153 posts · 1,795 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
1 April 2006
Last activity
8 April 2006
Original author
Michael \Dog3\ Lonergan
Posts
153
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,795
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 81–100 of 153
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. "jmcquown" <[email hidden]> hitched up their panties and posted
    news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:
    Damsel in dis Dress said:
    OmManiPadmeOmelet said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,
    "Sheldon" <[email hidden]> wrote:

    > Yeah, but... then who better can I trust with my wallet?

    You could always volunteer... ;-)

    I'd trust you!

    Okay, who else would be comfortable with Sheldon having their home
    address?

    Carol

    He's already got mine 🙂

    I've always communicated with him via email but I have no issue with him
    having my home address.

    Michael

    --
    "The most remarkable thing about my mother is that for thirty years she
    served the family nothing but leftovers. The original meal has never been
    found."

    --Calvin Trillin

  2. Michael 'Dog3' Lonergan said:

    "jmcquown" <[email hidden]> hitched up their panties and
    posted news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:


    I actually have two extra copies, although one has already been
    designated to go to Joseph Littleshoes. I still have to get to the
    post office to figure out how much it will cost to ship and I guess
    I'll figure out how to use my rusty (not trusty!) Paypal account.
    The cost might be prohibitive to mail one to Australia for Lady Jane,
    though.

    Jill

    It should be fairly inexpensive if sent media mail. I sent something
    to a friend in Paris France and it was inexpesive but there was
    something I had to do besides media mail. Ask the post person how to
    ship internationally.

    Michael

    Nancy indicated Lady Jane has already been taken care of. I think that
    means she dispatched a coupla Mafia hit men to Australia 😉

  3. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Damsel in dis Dress said:

    On Sat, 1 Apr 2006 12:43:04 -0500, "Nancy Young" <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    "Melba's Jammin'" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:

    "Nancy Young" <[email hidden]> wrote:

    Quoted message said:

    > Only spats came about after all the work was done and people
    > who didn't lift a finger to get it done suddenly had strong opinions.

    You're kidding. How'd that happen? What'd I miss?

    You *so* didn't miss it. It was about the online version.

    nancy

    Yeah, and somone implied that you were stealing some of the funds.
    That one was my favorite.

    Peace,
    Carol

    I have only the vaguest recollection of such a remark and I was sure
    that it was made in jest.
    --
    -Barb
    <http://jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 3-30-2006 Enchiladas for Two

    "If it's not worth doing to excess, it's not worth doing at all."

  4. Regarding making the cookbook available online, I remember
    one jerk just said, could someone scan it in so they wouldn't
    have to buy a copy. The answer, not surprisingly, was no, this
    is for charity, not for giving away. We didn't do all this work so
    people could just print it off.

    So funny to see a jerk doesn't change their stripes. Good for
    a laugh, you know who you are.

    nancy

  5. jmcquown said:

    Nancy indicated Lady Jane has already been taken care of. I think that
    means she dispatched a coupla Mafia hit men to Australia 😉

    oooo.... sincerely hope not!

    Nancy has been an absolute treasure and is sending me a copy of the
    original (or second) print run!

    Geeze I've missed the friendliness and generosity of spirit of this
    group!
    <sigh>
    I am SO looking forward to seeing the cookbook.

    As a postnote, 6 weeks ago I finished compiling/editing a Recipes of
    Yesteryear Cookbook for our local historical society - took MONTHS to
    get all the 'senior' ladies to agree on content, format, blah, blah,
    blah..... am still reeling from the experience. Must admit, it IS
    netting them some fairly decent monetary gain for no more than the
    printing/binding. No one to blame but myself - was my idea in the first
    instant and everyone agreed what a nice idea it was!

    (It was truly a harrowing experience.....why I have, so far, kept my
    mouth firmly closed in the 'volunteer' bracket. Give me another month
    to get over the ordeal, and I'll be there, hand waving wildly, offering
    any/all assistance I can!)

    <nudge, nudge, wink, wink.... say no more!>

    LadyJane

    hugs of gratitude to Nancy - your place in the afterlife is assured!!!

  6. "Damsel in dis Dress" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:

    On Sat, 1 Apr 2006 12:43:04 -0500, "Nancy Young" <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    "Melba's Jammin'" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:

    "Nancy Young" <[email hidden]> wrote:

    Quoted message said:

    > Only spats came about after all the work was done and people
    > who didn't lift a finger to get it done suddenly had strong opinions.

    You're kidding. How'd that happen? What'd I miss?

    You *so* didn't miss it. It was about the online version.

    nancy

    Yeah, and somone implied that you were stealing some of the funds.
    That one was my favorite.

    Is the online version still available?

    Ophelia

  7. Ophelia said:

    "Damsel in dis Dress" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Nancy Young said:

    "Melba's Jammin'" <[email hidden]> wrote

    > "Nancy Young" <[email hidden]> wrote:

    >> Only spats came about after all the work was done and people
    >> who didn't lift a finger to get it done suddenly had strong
    >> opinions.
    >
    > You're kidding. How'd that happen? What'd I miss?

    You *so* didn't miss it. It was about the online version.

    nancy

    Yeah, and somone implied that you were stealing some of the funds.
    That one was my favorite.

    Is the online version still available?

    Ophelia

    Technically, there never was one. Rusty posted some links to some of the
    recipes but the book itself was never available online.

    Jill

  8. Margaret Suran said:
    jmcquown said:


    It *is* an issue because the book was created with all proceeds to
    go to charity. The object isn't to let someone make as many copies
    as they want with the push of a button; it's to make sure the
    proceeds go to the selected charity.

    Another factor (which was personal to me and I mentioned in the
    original "argument" against CD's) was I wanted to give the book as
    gifts. My parents and some other older family members don't have a
    computer.

    I have the same problem, only more so. Some of my contemporaries do
    not have computers. The ones who do, will not want to run back and
    forth, they will want to have a book on he kitchen table and just
    glance at it, as needed.


    I love to have the book right there. Sure, I have a printer, but I would
    rather look at a book and get it all messy with floured fingers than print
    out some piece of paper which I will later throw away because after all, the
    recipe is on a CD on my computer. I love books!

    Quoted message said:

    Also, once the cook book is is on CD, there will not be multiple book
    orders by the individual buyers, as one copy could be copied over and
    over again. Between edition one and two, I ordered something like one
    dozen copies or more of the book.

    Exactly! I used them as gifts, setting a couple aside for later use. Many
    of the people who received them don't have computers or are not computer
    saavy like you are, Margaret!

    For edition three, be the

    Quoted message said:

    beneficiary of its sale a Katrina Victims fund, or a Food Bank, or
    Breast Cancer, I hardly think that enough buyers or volunteers would
    be interested to undertake such a job, if not a fairly large amount of
    money could be collected for the charity.

    I may be wrong. Perhaps this is not meant to be a charitable event,
    only an accommodation for the new posters, who missed out on the books
    four years ago. Nothing wrong with that, perhaps volunteers are not
    even needed. I do not know enough about such things.

    Oh no, if we (the collective rfc, and "newbies" don't think this discounts
    you!) decide to do this again it will definitely be for a charity, not
    simply for new posters who missed the first edition or the reprint of the
    first edition.

    Jill

  9. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Damsel in dis Dress said:
    OmManiPadmeOmelet said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Sheldon said:

    Yeah, but... then who better can I trust with my wallet?

    You could always volunteer... ;-)

    I'd trust you!

    Okay, who else would be comfortable with Sheldon having their home
    address?

    Carol

    I "live" in a PO box so it's not an issue. ;-)
    It's the only way that I felt comfortable doing ebay.....

    Man, I've gotten some real Psychos as bidders!
    Fortunately, most of those end up NARU'd after a couple of months.

    Believe it or not, I'd really like to meet Shel' in person.
    We correspond by private e-mail and he's pretty cool.
    --
    Peace, Om.

    "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-[censored]." -Jack Nicholson

  10. jmcquown wrote on 02 Apr 2006 in rec.food.cooking

    Quoted message said:
    Margaret Suran said:
    jmcquown said:


    It *is* an issue because the book was created with all proceeds to
    go to charity. The object isn't to let someone make as many copies
    as they want with the push of a button; it's to make sure the
    proceeds go to the selected charity.

    Another factor (which was personal to me and I mentioned in the
    original "argument" against CD's) was I wanted to give the book as
    gifts. My parents and some other older family members don't have a
    computer.

    I have the same problem, only more so. Some of my contemporaries do
    not have computers. The ones who do, will not want to run back and
    forth, they will want to have a book on he kitchen table and just
    glance at it, as needed.


    I love to have the book right there. Sure, I have a printer, but I
    would rather look at a book and get it all messy with floured fingers
    than print out some piece of paper which I will later throw away
    because after all, the recipe is on a CD on my computer. I love
    books!

    Quoted message said:

    Also, once the cook book is is on CD, there will not be multiple
    book orders by the individual buyers, as one copy could be copied
    over and over again. Between edition one and two, I ordered
    something like one dozen copies or more of the book.

    Exactly! I used them as gifts, setting a couple aside for later use.
    Many of the people who received them don't have computers or are not
    computer saavy like you are, Margaret!

    For edition three, be the

    Quoted message said:

    beneficiary of its sale a Katrina Victims fund, or a Food Bank, or
    Breast Cancer, I hardly think that enough buyers or volunteers would
    be interested to undertake such a job, if not a fairly large amount
    of money could be collected for the charity.

    I may be wrong. Perhaps this is not meant to be a charitable event,
    only an accommodation for the new posters, who missed out on the
    books four years ago. Nothing wrong with that, perhaps volunteers
    are not even needed. I do not know enough about such things.

    Oh no, if we (the collective rfc, and "newbies" don't think this
    discounts you!) decide to do this again it will definitely be for a
    charity, not simply for new posters who missed the first edition or
    the reprint of the first edition.

    Jill

    Perhaps there should be 1 and only 1 official RFC recipe CD...and only
    one kept by somebody, (say Victor) to be trotted out to create cookbooks
    from for Charitable reasons...So recipes from older posters from say the
    80's and 90's can still be availible. As well as newer posters can have
    recipes added to that CD. But the official RFC CD would only be kept for
    record purposes and not released except to create books. This way all the
    proof reading and formating would be already done for 90% of any future
    charitable endeavours.

    --
    -Alan

  11. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Michael \'Dog3\' Lonergan said:

    OmManiPadmeOmelet <[email hidden]> hitched up their panties and
    posted news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:


    We get along just fine when we have to. Strange bedfellows and
    all that.

    nancy

    RFC is just like any other family or small community..... ;-D

    I do post on other groups, but this one and abf are my favorites! There
    are several people that post here that are there also.

    I love ABF. I really need to get a new digital camera. I got a $30 off
    coupon from Office Max. Maybe I'll take a look see. Did you see TFM
    trying to eat that monster hamburge with his pinky finger raised? Gawd I
    laughed my ass off.

    Michael

    I consider TFM to be the list clown..... ;-)

    I always read his posts!
    --
    Peace, Om.

    "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-[censored]." -Jack Nicholson

  12. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Michael \'Dog3\' Lonergan said:

    "jmcquown" <[email hidden]> hitched up their panties and posted
    news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:
    Damsel in dis Dress said:

    On Sat, 01 Apr 2006 12:32:28 -0600, OmManiPadmeOmelet
    <[email hidden]> wrote:

    > In article <[email hidden]>,
    > "Sheldon" <[email hidden]> wrote:
    >
    >> Yeah, but... then who better can I trust with my wallet?
    >
    > You could always volunteer... ;-)
    >
    > I'd trust you!

    Okay, who else would be comfortable with Sheldon having their home
    address?

    Carol

    He's already got mine 🙂

    I've always communicated with him via email but I have no issue with him
    having my home address.

    Michael

    Ditto here. :-)
    --
    Peace, Om.

    "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-[censored]." -Jack Nicholson

  13. "OmManiPadmeOmelet" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:

    "Michael \"Dog3\" Lonergan" <[email hidden]> wrote:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I've always communicated with him via email but I have no issue with him
    having my home address.

    Quoted message said:

    Ditto here. :-)

    Heck, most of the people I mailed the books to got my home
    address ... no one's shown up yet.

    nancy

  14. jmcquown wrote:.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I love to have the book right there. Sure, I have a printer, but I would
    rather look at a book and get it all messy with floured fingers than print
    out some piece of paper which I will later throw away because after all, the
    recipe is on a CD on my computer. I love books!

    Jill, I am speaking of "mature" (read ancient) people, whose children
    or grandchildren have given them a PC or in most cases a WebTV and
    shown them how to email. Most of them do not have printers, because
    they do not need them. With their new "toys" they keep in touch with
    their families and friends and every time I hear someone ridiculing a
    user of WebTV, I want to scream and tell him/her, what a blessing
    these inexpensive and simple machines are for the ones who do not need
    anything more elaborate, or who cannot afford a real computer.

    If rfc comes out with a third edition book that has new recipes, I
    would need at least six copies, most likely ten. As before, I would
    be happy to volunteer for mailing out the books. If the book will be
    a reprint of the old one, I still would need two or three copies.

    If the book will be a CD, I would have to find out whether any of my
    friends would be interested in it. :o(

    For me, there is something almost magical about a real book. I am
    truly blessed. Just recently I was given a copy of the original rfc
    book by a dear friend. I had given away all my copies, including the
    one I had reserved for myself. This friend sent me a brand new book,
    while he is using an old, dog-eared, splattered one. How is that for
    friendship?

    Marcel is coming for a brunch of Matzo Brei, the fourth time he has
    asked for it since he saw a few days ago that I bought Matzo for the
    coming Passover holiday. At the rate he is consuming it, I will run
    out of Matzo way before the First Seder on April 12th. :o)

  15. Michael 'Dog3' Lonergan said:
    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Okay, who else would be comfortable with Sheldon having their home
    address?

    Carol


    He's already got mine 🙂

    I've always communicated with him via email but I have no issue with him
    having my home address.

    Michael

    He probably could figure mine out from knowing stuff I've shared with
    him. <shrug>

  16. Nancy Young said:

    "OmManiPadmeOmelet" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:

    "Michael \"Dog3\" Lonergan" <[email hidden]> wrote:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I've always communicated with him via email but I have no issue with him
    having my home address.

    Quoted message said:

    Ditto here. :-)

    Heck, most of the people I mailed the books to got my home
    address ... no one's shown up yet.

    nancy

    ... you weren't home when we knocked. 🙂
    Goomba

  17. "Goomba38" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:

    Nancy Young wrote:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Heck, most of the people I mailed the books to got my home
    address ... no one's shown up yet.

    Quoted message said:

    .. you weren't home when we knocked. 🙂

    (laugh) I told you I don't lock my door! Guess I'm lucky
    you forgot!

    nancy

  18. Margaret Suran said:

    jmcquown wrote:.

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    I love to have the book right there. Sure, I have a printer, but I
    would rather look at a book and get it all messy with floured
    fingers than print out some piece of paper which I will later throw
    away because after all, the recipe is on a CD on my computer. I
    love books!

    Jill, I am speaking of "mature" (read ancient) people, whose children
    or grandchildren have given them a PC or in most cases a WebTV and
    shown them how to email. Most of them do not have printers, because
    they do not need them. With their new "toys" they keep in touch with
    their families and friends and every time I hear someone ridiculing a
    user of WebTV, I want to scream and tell him/her, what a blessing
    these inexpensive and simple machines are for the ones who do not need
    anything more elaborate, or who cannot afford a real computer.

    If rfc comes out with a third edition book that has new recipes, I
    would need at least six copies, most likely ten. As before, I would
    be happy to volunteer for mailing out the books. If the book will be
    a reprint of the old one, I still would need two or three copies.

    If the book will be a CD, I would have to find out whether any of my
    friends would be interested in it. :o(


    I don't think a CD is a good idea; as I've said before, it's too easy to
    copy without the proceeds going to the charity it is geared towards. Too
    many "young folks" can just burn a copy of the CD and bypass the charity
    selected.

    Quoted message said:

    For me, there is something almost magical about a real book. I am
    truly blessed. Just recently I was given a copy of the original rfc
    book by a dear friend. I had given away all my copies, including the
    one I had reserved for myself. This friend sent me a brand new book,
    while he is using an old, dog-eared, splattered one. How is that for
    friendship?

    Marcel is coming for a brunch of Matzo Brei, the fourth time he has
    asked for it since he saw a few days ago that I bought Matzo for the
    coming Passover holiday. At the rate he is consuming it, I will run
    out of Matzo way before the First Seder on April 12th. :o)

    Margaret, we are in complete agreement. I don't want the book available on
    CD. Too many people I know don't have computers and it is so much fun to
    have a book right there when you cook.

    I sent a copy of the book to Ian Robb, who is a survivor of 9/11... he is a
    man who walked out of the elevator in the North Tower shortly before it
    collapsed. Since the book was inspired by those events, it was special that
    we collected recipes and made donations towards that recovery.

    Jill

  19. OmManiPadmeOmelet said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Damsel in dis Dress said:
    OmManiPadmeOmelet said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,
    "Sheldon" <[email hidden]> wrote:

    > Yeah, but... then who better can I trust with my wallet?

    You could always volunteer... ;-)

    I'd trust you!

    Okay, who else would be comfortable with Sheldon having their home
    address?

    Carol

    I "live" in a PO box so it's not an issue. ;-)
    It's the only way that I felt comfortable doing ebay.....

    Man, I've gotten some real Psychos as bidders!
    Fortunately, most of those end up NARU'd after a couple of months.

    Believe it or not, I'd really like to meet Shel' in person.
    We correspond by private e-mail and he's pretty cool.

    Despite some of his nasty posts here ( he accused me of wanting to steal my
    brother's Calphalon cookware)... Sheldon sends me the occasional holiday
    card featuring cats. He has a lot of rescue cats.

    Jill

  20. Margaret Suran said:

    Marcel is coming for a brunch of Matzo Brei,

    So they are matzo pancakes? Is it dessert?
    --

    Practice safe eating. Always use condiments.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.