General fitness, health and nutrition · Public discussion

RFC Cookbook

Started by Michael \Dog3\ Lonergan · · Last activity · 153 posts · 1,795 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
General fitness, health and nutrition
Published
1 April 2006
Last activity
8 April 2006
Original author
Michael \Dog3\ Lonergan
Posts
153
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
1,795
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 61–80 of 153
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. In article <[email hidden]>,

    limey said:
    OmManiPadmeOmelet said:


    What was the cost?
    Seems to me they would make awesome christmas gifts if they were not too
    expensive.
    --
    Peace, Om.

    I believe they were $13.00 at the time, including shipping.

    Dora

    Very reasonable. :-)

    If y'all ever decide to do a reprint, I'm sure it'll be announced?
    --
    Peace, Om.

    "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a son-of-a-[censored]." -Jack Nicholson

  2. One time on Usenet said:


    "Michael "Dog3" Lonergan" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:

    We have so many new folks now. Do you think another cookbook is in order?
    Many of the new folks have a lot to offer. I doubt Victor would want to
    organize it again but maybe I'm wrong. Victor is a very good organizer. It
    was a pretty big effort and I'm not sure if anyone is up to it. I'll help
    edit again. I might even help with distribution in the Midwest. I think
    a
    Katrina effort would be worthwhile. Maybe I'm just way off base.

    I think we have the process much streamlined from what we learned
    the first time. Second time should be easier (sounds like we're talking
    about having a baby, doesn't it?).

    I'd be willing to pitch in, just not as treasurer. Not because of the
    work, because it seems best.

    I was on hiatus when you guys did the first cookbook and was
    sorry to have missed the opportunity to help. So please count
    me in as a volunteer with good organizational skills... :-)

    --
    jj - rfc (Jani) in WA
    ~ mom, Trollop, novice cook ~

  3. In article <[email hidden]>,

    Margaret Suran said:


    If I remember correctly, before we came out with a second edition,

    We would probably want to do the same thing, if we wanted to think of
    a third edition.

    Small point, Margaret, but you know how I am: It was two print runs of
    the same edition. No changes were made between printings, so we'd be
    looking at a second version, not a third. Volume II, as it were.
    --
    -Barb
    <http://jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 3-30-2006 Enchiladas for Two

    "If it's not worth doing to excess, it's not worth doing at all."

  4. In article <[email hidden]>,

    D.Currie said:

    "jmcquown" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    Quoted message said:
    Michael 'Dog3' Lonergan said:

    "LadyJane" <[email hidden]> hitched up their panties and
    posted news:[email hidden]:

    > Have rediscovered rec.food.cooking again after a hiatus of nearly 12
    > (or more maybe) years. Forgot how comforting and enjoyable the
    > newsgroup was. <sigh>
    > Was around in the era of Mimi's Cyberkitchen (wonder whether it's
    > still going?) seems like eons ago!
    > I had no idea a RFC cookbook - original or second/third....etc
    > edition - even existed! Is/are it/they still available?
    > Would love a copy if so!
    >
    > LadyJane
    > --
    > "Never trust a skinny cook!"
    >

    Good to see you back! I went on a long hiatuse also and came back in
    the 90s. I don't know if anyone has an extra copy of the cookbook.
    My extras have all been given as gifts.

    Michael

    I actually have two extra copies, although one has already been designated
    to go to Joseph Littleshoes. I still have to get to the post office to
    figure out how much it will cost to ship and I guess I'll figure out how
    to
    use my rusty (not trusty!) Paypal account. The cost might be prohibitive
    to
    mail one to Australia for Lady Jane, though.

    Jill

    If Australia is out, I'll take it. I asked before and no one seemed to have
    extras at that time. Heck, I'll pay for Joseph's shipping, too! I can send a
    check in advance, so you needn't bother with paypal. Unless this thing is a
    huge tome, it ought to fit in one of those priority mail thingies,

    We used padded envelopes, I think. I may have wrapped in bubble wrap
    the ones going off shore -- and taped those envelopes to a faretheewell.

  5. In article <[email hidden]>,

    D.Currie said:

    But hey, if two have been published already, would it make any sense to
    combine the two and publish that as a single volume?

    Not AFAIC. The book would be bigger, printing costs higher, mailing
    costs higher, more expensive to buy, and I don't need and really don't
    want a book that duplicates information I already have. JMO.
    --
    -Barb
    <http://jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 3-30-2006 Enchiladas for Two

    "If it's not worth doing to excess, it's not worth doing at all."

  6. jmcquown said:


    It *is* an issue because the book was created with all proceeds to go to
    charity. The object isn't to let someone make as many copies as they want
    with the push of a button; it's to make sure the proceeds go to the selected
    charity.

    Another factor (which was personal to me and I mentioned in the original
    "argument" against CD's) was I wanted to give the book as gifts. My parents
    and some other older family members don't have a computer.

    Jill

    I have the same problem, only more so. Some of my contemporaries do
    not have computers. The ones who do, will not want to run back and
    forth, they will want to have a book on he kitchen table and just
    glance at it, as needed.

    Also, once the cook book is is on CD, there will not be multiple book
    orders by the individual buyers, as one copy could be copied over and
    over again. Between edition one and two, I ordered something like one
    dozen copies or more of the book. For edition three, be the
    beneficiary of its sale a Katrina Victims fund, or a Food Bank, or
    Breast Cancer, I hardly think that enough buyers or volunteers would
    be interested to undertake such a job, if not a fairly large amount of
    money could be collected for the charity.

    I may be wrong. Perhaps this is not meant to be a charitable event,
    only an accommodation for the new posters, who missed out on the books
    four years ago. Nothing wrong with that, perhaps volunteers are not
    even needed. I do not know enough about such things.

  7. Nancy Young said:

    "rosie" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:

    As far as the Charity--- not really will about Katrina, have seen a
    lot of abuse of Katrina Funds, maybe something really specific would
    work.

    Perhaps something like Habitat for Humanity has something
    going especially for Katrina? Or should we stick to a food
    charity. Probably. Second Harvest of New Orleans? Or
    maybe some other community that isn't getting the spotlight
    that New Orleans is.

    Excellent musings at that. I think it makes sense to do a food charity,
    and one in New Orleans makes sense too!
    Goomba

  8. Wayne Boatwright said:

    I would buy two this time. I honestly couldn't afford to buy one last
    time, and I was generously gifted with one. I would also happily
    contribute something new.


    I kept putting off typing up my recipe for the first one and then missed
    the deadline. I just couldn't get my act together, dammit. I did buy
    enough cookbooks to give many away as gifts. So I did my part, eh? I'll
    et my act in gear this time, and help with the shipping if anyone is
    taking volunteers down yet?
    Goomba

  9. On Sat, 1 Apr 2006 12:43:04 -0500, "Nancy Young" <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    "Melba's Jammin'" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:

    "Nancy Young" <[email hidden]> wrote:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:

    Only spats came about after all the work was done and people
    who didn't lift a finger to get it done suddenly had strong opinions.

    You're kidding. How'd that happen? What'd I miss?

    You *so* didn't miss it. It was about the online version.

    nancy

    Yeah, and somone implied that you were stealing some of the funds.
    That one was my favorite.

    Peace,
    Carol

  10. OmManiPadmeOmelet said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Sheldon said:

    Yeah, but... then who better can I trust with my wallet?

    You could always volunteer... ;-)

    I'd trust you!

    Okay, who else would be comfortable with Sheldon having their home
    address?

    Carol

  11. D.Currie said:

    But hey, if two have been published already, would it make any sense to
    combine the two and publish that as a single volume? If someone still has
    the original files or access to the two books, it would eliminate a lot of
    work. And then add whatever new recipes come in as well.

    You are an evil genius! I'd love to have everything all in one book.
    Especially considering I can't find the 2 copies I bought the last
    time.

    Peace,
    Carol

  12. On Sat, 1 Apr 2006 14:00:31 -0500, "Nancy Young" <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    "D.Currie" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:

    But hey, if two have been published already, would it make any sense to
    combine the two and publish that as a single volume? If someone still has
    the original files or access to the two books, it would eliminate a lot of
    work. And then add whatever new recipes come in as well.

    Actually, we had two printings of the same book. It's only one
    book.

    Duh! I was thinking of adding a new collection to the old collection.
    My bad. Carry on.

    Peace,
    Carol

  13. On Sat, 01 Apr 2006 21:29:39 GMT, [email hidden] (jj -

    rfc) said:

    I was on hiatus when you guys did the first cookbook and was
    sorry to have missed the opportunity to help. So please count
    me in as a volunteer with good organizational skills... :-)

    Okay, you just took over Victor's CEO position. Congratulations!

    Peace,
    Carol

  14. Damsel in dis Dress <[email hidden]> hitched up their
    panties and posted news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:

    On Sat, 1 Apr 2006 12:43:04 -0500, "Nancy Young" <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    "Melba's Jammin'" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:

    "Nancy Young" <[email hidden]> wrote:

    Quoted message said:

    > Only spats came about after all the work was done and people
    > who didn't lift a finger to get it done suddenly had strong opinions.

    You're kidding. How'd that happen? What'd I miss?

    You *so* didn't miss it. It was about the online version.

    nancy

    Yeah, and somone implied that you were stealing some of the funds.
    That one was my favorite.

    Peace,
    Carol

    Now I missed the funds part. Gawd... I would have laughed my ass off. I
    bought 5 of the books. Now I'm down to 1. It's getting nice and tattered
    too 😉 Just the way I like 'em.

    Michael

    --
    "The most remarkable thing about my mother is that for thirty years she
    served the family nothing but leftovers. The original meal has never been
    found."

    --Calvin Trillin

  15. OmManiPadmeOmelet <[email hidden]> hitched up their panties and
    posted news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:


    We get along just fine when we have to. Strange bedfellows and
    all that.

    nancy

    RFC is just like any other family or small community..... ;-D

    I do post on other groups, but this one and abf are my favorites! There
    are several people that post here that are there also.

    I love ABF. I really need to get a new digital camera. I got a $30 off
    coupon from Office Max. Maybe I'll take a look see. Did you see TFM
    trying to eat that monster hamburge with his pinky finger raised? Gawd I
    laughed my ass off.

    Michael

    --
    "The most remarkable thing about my mother is that for thirty years she
    served the family nothing but leftovers. The original meal has never been
    found."

    --Calvin Trillin

  16. "Sheldon" <[email hidden]> hitched up their panties and posted
    news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:


    Nancy Young said:

    "Michael "Dog3" Lonergan" <[email hidden]> wrote

    Quoted message said:

    We have so many new folks now. Do you think another cookbook is in
    order? Many of the new folks have a lot to offer. I doubt Victor
    would want to organize it again but maybe I'm wrong. Victor is a
    very good organizer. It was a pretty big effort and I'm not sure if
    anyone is up to it. I'll help edit again. I might even help with
    distribution in the Midwest. I think a
    Katrina effort would be worthwhile. Maybe I'm just way off base.

    I think we have the process much streamlined from what we learned
    the first time. Second time should be easier (sounds like we're
    talking about having a baby, doesn't it?).

    I'd be willing to pitch in, just not as treasurer. Not because of
    the work, because it seems best.

    Yeah, but... then who better can I trust with my wallet?

    Sheldon

    I agree. I think Nancy did a great job. Actually everyone did. I felt
    bad because I started getting sick and couldn't finish editing the recipes.
    No one complained about it and several others just jumped in and took over.

    Michael

    --
    "The most remarkable thing about my mother is that for thirty years she
    served the family nothing but leftovers. The original meal has never been
    found."

    --Calvin Trillin

  17. "D.Currie" <[email hidden]> hitched up their panties and
    posted news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:
    Quoted message said:


    I wish I had the time to volunteer! The most I could offer to do
    would be to burn files onto CD. My computer has a built in CD burner
    that is quite efficient. I know that the text files using text edit
    and the jpegs work just fine on the Microsoft PC at work.

    I drive an i-Mac using OS-X.

    You know, burning the book to a CD would cut down a lot on costs.
    Printing, binding...mailing.

    A CD would make sense.

    Quoted message said:


    The files could be set up as a PDF or even an e-book. But it would
    make it easy to duplicate, if that's an issue. Anyone could burn
    copies of a CD, so you wouldn't be selling multiples to people, they'd
    just buy one and make copies as they needed. Considering this isn't a
    commercial venture, I don't know if that's an issue or not.

    The ebook would be time consuming. Someone would always have to monitor it
    and then we'd most likely have to take credit cards. I believe I used
    PayPal last time.

    Michael

    --
    "The most remarkable thing about my mother is that for thirty years she
    served the family nothing but leftovers. The original meal has never been
    found."

    --Calvin Trillin

  18. "jmcquown" <[email hidden]> hitched up their panties and posted
    news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:


    It *is* an issue because the book was created with all proceeds to go
    to charity. The object isn't to let someone make as many copies as
    they want with the push of a button; it's to make sure the proceeds go
    to the selected charity.

    I forgot about the CD debate. You're right.

    Quoted message said:


    Another factor (which was personal to me and I mentioned in the
    original "argument" against CD's) was I wanted to give the book as
    gifts. My parents and some other older family members don't have a
    computer.

    Jill

    Same here. Okay, I'll go along with no CD or ebook... again 😉

    Michael

    --
    "The most remarkable thing about my mother is that for thirty years she
    served the family nothing but leftovers. The original meal has never been
    found."

    --Calvin Trillin

  19. "jmcquown" <[email hidden]> hitched up their panties and posted
    news:[email hidden]:

    Quoted message said:


    I actually have two extra copies, although one has already been
    designated to go to Joseph Littleshoes. I still have to get to the
    post office to figure out how much it will cost to ship and I guess
    I'll figure out how to use my rusty (not trusty!) Paypal account. The
    cost might be prohibitive to mail one to Australia for Lady Jane,
    though.

    Jill

    It should be fairly inexpensive if sent media mail. I sent something to a
    friend in Paris France and it was inexpesive but there was something I had
    to do besides media mail. Ask the post person how to ship internationally.

    Michael

    --
    "The most remarkable thing about my mother is that for thirty years she
    served the family nothing but leftovers. The original meal has never been
    found."

    --Calvin Trillin

  20. Damsel in dis Dress said:
    OmManiPadmeOmelet said:

    In article <[email hidden]>,

    Sheldon said:

    Yeah, but... then who better can I trust with my wallet?

    You could always volunteer... ;-)

    I'd trust you!

    Okay, who else would be comfortable with Sheldon having their home
    address?

    Carol

    He's already got mine 🙂

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.