Ride report? - and cycling with dogs

In article <[email protected]>
Tony Raven <[email protected]> wrote:
> Rob Morley wrote on 12/12/2006 12:04 +0100:
> > It's the same old problem of web developers using HTML as if it were
> > some sort of DTP tool, with no regard for cross-platform compatibility,
> > and their customers not being knowledgeable enough to reject their
> > shoddy work. Hopefully things are getting better - these days there
> > aren't so many sites that fail completely if you're not using Internet
> > Explorer, or that look stupid if your screen isn't set to the same
> > resolution as the developer used, but there's still a long way to go.

> Well there's no real excuse with HTML validation so easily available
> http://validator.w3.org/

I know that, you know that, but what's a drag&drop "web designer" to do
when his generated code throws up loads of errors? I suspect he tries
it in a couple of browsers (if you're lucky), decides it looks OK and
goes on to the next job. If his customers were more clued up they'd
specify that code should be to proper standards, but proper software
specification can be a big complex job even for real developers, let
alone Joe Public and Mister "I can do websites".