Ritalin Helps Beat Cancer Fatigue

On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 16:38:12 -0600, "SumBuny"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>
>"jake" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>> On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 13:36:28 -0600, "SumBuny" <[email protected]> wrote:
>> > "jake" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> > news:p[email protected]...
>> > >there are no medical tests for ADHD. It is not a medical condition.
>> >
>>
>> >What are the "medical tests" for near-sightedness? Far-sightedness?
>Pain?
>> >Autism? Sensory integration disorder? If you cannot state any, does
>that
>> >mean that these are not medical conditions? That they should/can not be treated? That they are
>> >not real?
>> >
>> >Try to spend some time volunteering in special education classes with students who do not have
>> >"medical conditions" because the tests for them
>are
>> >not truly objective...and whil you are at it, insist that everyone remove their prescription
>> >lenses, because that too is subjective, not
>objectively
>> >tested...
>>
>> >
>> >Until then, do not tell me that my family is not dealing with disabling conditions, such as
>> >ADHD, autism, sid, pain....
>> >
>>
>> I am not aware that pointing out that diabetes is nothing like ADHD is telling you and family
>> anything..or that I have ever suggested such a thing..
>>
>
>It was not your pointing out diabetes is "nothing like ADHD" that I was commenting on, but the
>comment of "there are no medical tests for ADHD.

there are not..

>It is not a medical condition"

I am by no means alone in holding this view as I am sure you are aware this is what seems to make
you angry..

>that I was...and you conveniently snipped both that and my explanatory comments...your comment was
>"telling my family" that our ADHD, autism, sid, pain issues are not "medical conditions"...

I said nothing as to whether autism,sid,or chronic pain were medical conditions..

The snipping was not "convenient"..I simply focussed on where I was being blatantly misinterpreted
and traduced..

I was asked what I thought the difference was and IMO the difference is that ADHD is not a disease
or an identifiable medical condition..

I am entitled to hold this view without being accused of telling your family that autism ..SID ..and
chronic pain are not medical conditions..am I not?

"SumBuny" <[email protected]> wrote
> > there are no medical tests for ADHD. It is not a medical condition.
> What are the "medical tests" for near-sightedness? Far-sightedness?
Pain?
>... students who do not have "medical conditions" because the tests for
them are
> not truly objective...and whil you are at it, insist that everyone remove their prescription
> lenses, because that too is subjective, not objectively tested...

Tests for nearsightedness and for eyeglass prescriptions *are* objective. Perhaps you think that
eyecharts are not objective, but most optometrists do all their diagnosis and testing with
objective tests that look directly at the lens in the eye. The eyechart is just a way of double-
checking the results.

"L" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>
> There isn't a darn thing funny about the functional response children make to sharing territory
> with odious persons creating an environment so
hostile
> to such children that the childrens adapt in a manner includes permanent alterations to their
> brain chemistry, originally named Minimal Brain Dysfunction and only recently renamed ADHD to
> appease parents of
unfortunate
> children.

I do not see my children nor I as "unfortunate." There are many good things about ADHD...
http://www.netacc.net/~gradda/sp0150or.html

50 (or so) Great Things About ADD by Bob Seay

Entertain your friends with witty one-liners and sharp come backs. · Insomnia makes for more time to
stay up and surf the net! · The drive of Hyper-focus · Two words: Chat Addiction ·
Hyperactivity+Creativity+ a Compulsive Libido= One Popular Guy on Dates · Resilience · Can meet
someone, fall deeply in love, marry, fight, hate and divorce all in about 35 minutes or less ·
Sparkling personality · Drop names like Edison, Einstein, Walt Disney and Beethoven in conversations
· Can fixate on one object while the rest of the world goes right down the toilet · Can see all of
your wordly possessions at one time.. because they are all over the floor · Tends to be very
generous with money, time and resources. · flexible · ENTHUSIASTIC · innovative · A strong sense of
what is FAIR · Willing to take a Risk · Alert · Eager · creative · provides original ideas · or
isn't afraid to steal them. · Make far reaching analogies that no one else understands. Write them
off as "Deep Thoughts" · Theoretical · Abstract Thinkers · Spontaneous · Always Hopeful · Keeps
business meetings lively · The Mind of a Pentium - with only 2Mgs of RAM · Aesthetically oriented ·
Pleasantly and constantly surprised by finding clothing you had forgotten about. · Able to tie
seemingly unrelated ideas together · Funny · Able to see The Big Picture while others stumble around
in the dark. · Independent · Demands to know WHY? · Last of the ROMANTICS · Has a wide variety of
interests · Good conversationalist · Qualify for bulk rate mail on tax returns because you have at
least 24 W-2's attached. · At IQs of 160 and above, virtually all people have ADD symptoms · An
innately better understanding of intuitive technologies such as computers · In class popularity
contests, always voted "Most Entertaining" · "Most Energetic" and "Most likely to Self Immolate" ·
Great Improvisors · Able to leap tall buildings in a single bound (did you actually read that?) ·
Honestly believes that anything is possible · Great at Extemporaneous Speaking · Quickly assimilates
new information · Usually a little smarter than the average bear · Willing to "step out in faith" ·
Rarely satisfied with the status quo · Empathetic · Can easily replace missing childhood photos with
panels from "Calvin & Hobbes" · Pleasantly and constantly surprised by finding money you had
forgotten about. · Blows up, but then usually recovers quickly · An unstoppable dynamo of human
energy · Doesn't know when to quit · Intuitive · Compassionate · Persistant · Spunky · Hidden TALENT
· Closely attuned to the moods of those around them · Pleasantly and constantly surprised by finding
spouses you had forgotten about. · ADD is especially common among artists, musicians, and other
creative people · Can always be depended upon to provide a different perspective · Visionary · An
Individualist · Many successful entrepreneurs exhibit ADD behaviors · A greater tolerance for Chaos
· Provides job security for writers of Spell Check programs · Will fight for what they believe in ·
Excellent motivators of others · Highly organized, punctual and generally responsible (OK, so I
lied) · got your attention?

Not exactly "unfortunate" Buny

"jake" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 13:36:28 -0600, "SumBuny" <[email protected]> wrote:
> > "jake" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:p[email protected]...
> > >there are no medical tests for ADHD. It is not a medical condition.
> >
>
> >What are the "medical tests" for near-sightedness? Far-sightedness?
Pain?
> >Autism? Sensory integration disorder? If you cannot state any, does
that
> >mean that these are not medical conditions? That they should/can not be treated? That they are
> >not real?
> >
> >Try to spend some time volunteering in special education classes with students who do not have
> >"medical conditions" because the tests for them
are
> >not truly objective...and whil you are at it, insist that everyone remove their prescription
> >lenses, because that too is subjective, not
objectively
> >tested...
>
> >
> >Until then, do not tell me that my family is not dealing with disabling conditions, such as ADHD,
> >autism, sid, pain....
> >
>
> I am not aware that pointing out that diabetes is nothing like ADHD is telling you and family
> anything..or that I have ever suggested such a thing..
>

It was not your pointing out diabetes is "nothing like ADHD" that I was commenting on, but the
comment of "there are no medical tests for ADHD. It is not a medical condition" that I was...and you
conveniently snipped both that and my explanatory comments...your comment was "telling my family"
that our ADHD, autism, sid, pain issues are not "medical conditions"...

Buny

"SumBuny" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:rnFFb.9118$Fg.2730@lakeread01...
>
> "Marciosos7 Probertiosos8" <[email protected]> wrote in
> >
> > "jake" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > > On Sun, 21 Dec 2003 16:09:27 GMT, "Marciosos7 Probertiosos8" <[email protected]>
> > > wrote:
> > >
> > > "fellow traveller"??? thats a useful expresion..
> > >
> > > IOW you are totally aware that the lady is NOT in fact a scientologist and its just another
> > > pathetic attempt to smear using "guilt by association"
> >
> > From all my reading, she is freely travelling with them. For whatever purpose, she has made a
> > considered to affiliate with this Kriminal Kult.
>
>
> Not to mention that exact same "argument" is used to deny the accuracy of medical tests that are
> run by labs that are "guilty by association" with pharmaceutical companies....
>
> Some people seem to want one set of rules for them, and another for others...

Of course.

it is the only way that they can win.

"Roger Schlafly" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> "SumBuny" <[email protected]> wrote
> > > there are no medical tests for ADHD. It is not a medical condition.
> > What are the "medical tests" for near-sightedness? Far-sightedness?
> Pain?
> >... students who do not have "medical conditions" because the tests for
> them are
> > not truly objective...and whil you are at it, insist that everyone
remove
> > their prescription lenses, because that too is subjective, not
objectively
> > tested...
>
> Tests for nearsightedness and for eyeglass prescriptions *are* objective. Perhaps you think that
> eyecharts are not objective, but most optometrists do all their diagnosis and testing with
> objective tests that look directly at the lens in the eye. The eyechart is just a way of double-
> checking the results.

Not necessarily...why is it that they have you read the same chart with both eyes? All it takes is
someone with a good memory to screw that one up...not to mention that one can use closure to
comprehend a letter that is still very fuzzy...

If this is the case, why is it that they still have you try so many different lenses. "Ok, is this
one better, or is that one?" If it is only a matter of reading charts, then there would be no need
for that, right?

Buny

"SumBuny" <[email protected]> wrote
> > Tests for nearsightedness and for eyeglass prescriptions *are*
objective.
> > Perhaps you think that eyecharts are not objective, but most
optometrists
> > do all their diagnosis and testing with objective tests that look
directly
> > at the lens in the eye. The eyechart is just a way of double-checking the results.
> Not necessarily...why is it that they have you read the same chart with
both
> eyes? All it takes is someone with a good memory to screw that one
up...not
> to mention that one can use closure to comprehend a letter that is still very fuzzy...

You're not reading. You can foolishly try to trick the optometrist, but it won't work because he
really uses other objective tests that do not involve the eyechart.

> If this is the case, why is it that they still have you try so many different lenses. "Ok, is this
> one better, or is that one?" If it is
only
> a matter of reading charts, then there would be no need for that, right?

He's double-checking.

Roger Schlafly wrote:
>
>>>Tests for nearsightedness and for eyeglass prescriptions *are*
>
> objective.
>
>>>Perhaps you think that eyecharts are not objective, but most
>
> optometrists
>
>>>do all their diagnosis and testing with objective tests that look
>
> directly
>
>>>at the lens in the eye. The eyechart is just a way of double-checking the results.
>>
>>Not necessarily...why is it that they have you read the same chart with
>
> both
>
>>eyes? All it takes is someone with a good memory to screw that one
>
> up...not
>
>>to mention that one can use closure to comprehend a letter that is still very fuzzy...
>
>
> You're not reading. You can foolishly try to trick the optometrist, but it won't work because he
> really uses other objective tests that do not involve the eyechart.
>
>
>>If this is the case, why is it that they still have you try so many different lenses. "Ok, is this
>>one better, or is that one?" If it is
>
> only
>
>>a matter of reading charts, then there would be no need for that, right?
>
>
> He's double-checking.
>
>

Then why is my final perscription different from that generated when I gaze into the
automated machine?

On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 23:32:57 -0600, "SumBuny"

>
>"jake" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>> On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 16:38:12 -0600, "SumBuny" <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> >
>> >"jake" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>> >> On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 13:36:28 -0600, "SumBuny" <[email protected]>
>> >> wrote:
>> >> > "jake" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> >> > news:p[email protected]...
>> >> > >there are no medical tests for ADHD. It is not a medical condition.
>> >> >
>> >>
>> >> >What are the "medical tests" for near-sightedness? Far-sightedness?
>> >Pain?
>> >> >Autism? Sensory integration disorder? If you cannot state any, does
>> >that
>> >> >mean that these are not medical conditions? That they should/can not
>be
>> >> >treated? That they are not real?
>> >> >
>> >> >Try to spend some time volunteering in special education classes with students who do not
>> >> >have "medical conditions" because the tests for
>them
>> >are
>> >> >not truly objective...and whil you are at it, insist that everyone
>remove
>> >> >their prescription lenses, because that too is subjective, not
>> >objectively
>> >> >tested...
>> >>
>> >> >
>> >> >Until then, do not tell me that my family is not dealing with
>disabling
>> >> >conditions, such as ADHD, autism, sid, pain....
>> >> >
>> >>
>> >> I am not aware that pointing out that diabetes is nothing like ADHD is telling you and family
>> >> anything..or that I have ever suggested such a thing..
>> >>
>> >
>> >It was not your pointing out diabetes is "nothing like ADHD" that I was commenting on, but the
>> >comment of "there are no medical tests for ADHD.
>>
>> there are not..
>>
>> >It is not a medical condition"
>>
>> I am by no means alone in holding this view as I am sure you are aware this is what seems to make
>> you angry..
>
>Being told that I am "making up the condition of ADHD so I can score drugs" has a funny effect of
>making me angry...

you seem determined to take everything personally..

that people do this is a fact of life well known to doctors and nothing to do with you or
your family..

>
>>
>>
>> >that I was...and you conveniently snipped both that and my explanatory comments...your comment
>> >was "telling my family"
>that
>> >our ADHD, autism, sid, pain issues are not "medical conditions"...
>>
>> I said nothing as to whether autism,sid,or chronic pain were medical conditions..
>
>Then tell me what "objective medical tests" diagnose them--otherwise, your logic of why ADHD is not
>a medical condition implies that these are not...

that ADHD is not an objective medical condition is just a plain fact and no diversionary ranting
about other conditions alters this..

>
>>
>> The snipping was not "convenient"..I simply focussed on where I was being blatantly
>> misinterpreted and traduced..
>>
>> I was asked what I thought the difference was and IMO the difference is that ADHD is not a
>> disease or an identifiable medical condition..
>>
>> I am entitled to hold this view without being accused of telling your family that autism ..SID
>> ..and chronic pain are not medical conditions..am I not?

am I not?
>>
>
>Tell me how these are medical conditions when your statement that ADHD is not--based on its lack of
>objective medical tests--would say otherwise....IOW, why is it that you can be prejudicial against
>ADHD and then claim you are not with other conditions diagnosed the *same way*...

thses conditions you mention are certainy NOT diagnosed by teachers complaining of kids wriggling in
their seats for example..or any of the other ethnocentric social judgements on the list for this
socalled diagnosis..

genuine medical conditions are not diagnosed by tick tests..

>IOW, prove to me you are not a prejudical hypocrite.

sad you feel the need to resort to personal abuse.. oh well..

--
Men are rewarded or punished not for what they do
but for how their acts are defined.
That is why men are more interested in better justifying
themselves than in better behaving themselves."
-- Thomas S. Szasz

On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 23:34:11 -0600, "SumBuny"

>
>"Roger Schlafly" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> "mark" <[email protected]> wrote
>> > Then why is my final perscription different from that generated when I gaze into the automated
>> > machine?
>>
>> Check with your optometrist. He might be using your astrological chart. <g>
>>
>> I was responding to SumBuny who claimed that there is no objective medical test for
>> nearsightedness. She is wrong.
>
>
>You have yet to explain what they are...

here is an example

http://www.lpoproducts.com/Products/LPO231.asp

Topcon KR-8000 Supra Auto Kerato-Refractometer

The innovative design of the KR-8000 enables accurate, reliable refraction and keratometric
measurements within a pupil dilation as narrow as 2.0mm. This means easier and more precise
diagnostic results when dealing with glaucoma, asymmetric pupils, or elderly patients. Totally
reliable and totally accurate with Topcon's Rotary Prism Measuring System, our advanced rotary prism
principle is able to obtain highly reliable data. The off-centered ring target is able to measure
areas previously occluded by a small pupil. The prism angle enables a much wider fundus area to be
measured. Accordingly, the measurement image provides extremely reliable data.

Features

Faster for you and easier on your patients Let's change your operator's environment with Topcon's
KR- 8000. It's 50% faster than ever before because the KR- 8000 applies the latest CPU and
sophisticated algorithms to make measurement instantaneous. The total time for 10 measurements Of
each eye and print out has been cut down by 50%.

Simpler, more accurate, and faster The cutting edge in Auto Kerato-Refractometry. Enjoy faster, more
precise, and totally reliable diagnostic results in a compact instrument that lets you make the most
of your examination facilities. Superior optics, combined with state-of-the-art electronics
technology, enables the KR-8000 to offer unmatched quality of performance with the widest possible
range of refraction and keratometry measurements and objective testing capability. Totally accurate
at pupil dilations as small as 2.0mm, these instruments make it fast and easy to obtain the precise
diagnostic data you need, even for patients with conditions that complicate results with other
equipment.

Auto-measurement As soon as the KR-8000 is properly aligned, this innovative function initiates the
measurement process and completes three readings of each eye if alignment is properly maintained.
After the readings are complete, a printout of the measurement results is automatically generated.

Scenic fixation chart This scenic color chart is adjustable in two brightness levels for optimal
results with large or small pupils, making eye fixation easier. The auto-fogging function reduces
the effects of instrument myopia and patient accommodation.

Omni-directional joystick As with previous Topcon instruments, fast, positive, and responsive
control of operations is performed with our standard omni-directional joystick that leaves the
user one hand free to operate other functions. Even novice operators can obtain excellent results
every time.

Ergonomically-designed chinrest A newly-designed round-shaped chinrest provides you space if you
must open up your patient's eyelids. Elderly patients and patient's who have trouble maintaining
stable fixation are more comfortable and therefore no longer difficult to measure.

Auto shut-down To conserve energy and prevent any build-up of heat from electronic circuitry, the
8000 series incorporate an automated function to shut down the instrument when left unused for more
than 10 minutes.

Automatic PD measurement For binocular readings, PD measurements are performed automatically; the
values obtained are stored in the patient's data file and printed out together with the results of
objective tests.

Corneal diameter measurement Corneal diameter can be measured either during testing of the patient
or later by recalling an image of the cornea on the monitor. Measurements can be obtained for both
eyes, with the data recorded on the printouts if required.

Control panel An ergonomically designed cluster of touch-switches on the control panel enables fast
selection among modes and functions, with unmatched simplicity of operation.

Printing measurement results A complete printout of test results for record purposes can be
accomplished with one touch of the print switch. The operator can choose among four data formats.

Simultaneous measurement of corneal curvature The KR-8000 enables precise measurements of corneal.

Specifications

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Objective Refractometer Mode

Sphere -25 to +22D in 0.25D step (0.12D step available)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cylinder 0 to ±8D in step 0.25D (0.12D step available)

Axis 1° to 180° in 1° and 5° step

Minimal pupil diameter 2.0mm ø

Method of relaxation Automatic fogging

Charts for object testing Picture

Corneal Curvature Mode

Corneal curvature radius 5.00mm thru 10.00mm

Refraction index 1.3375

Corneal refraction 67.5D thru 33.75D

Corneal astigmatism 0D thru ±10D

Corneal astigmatism axial angle 1° thru 180°

Measuring area 3mm with 7.7mm radius

Measuring Step

Corneal curvature radius 0.01 mm

Corneal refraction 0.12 / 0.25D

Corneal astigmatism 0.12 / 0.25D

Corneal axis angle 1° / 5°

Others

PD measurement range 85mm max. in 1 mm step

Measuring start Auto Start and Manual

Corneal diameter measurement (Pupil diameter) Yes (Range; 2-13mm / Step; 0.25mm)

Measurement display TV monitor screen

Measurement recording Built-in printer (Up to 10 measurements of each eye can be stored in memory)

Alignment Screen display

Vertex distance 0, 12.0 and 13.75mm (selectable)

Energy saving Automatic switch off when left unused after 10 minutes

IOL Special IOL switch to adjust to circumstances of IOL wearers

Power supply 100, 120, 220, 240V

Output RS-232C

Weight 19kg.

Dimensions 275(W) X 475(D) X 450(H) mm

Toll Free 1-800-755-5919 Privacy Policy | © 2003 Latham & Phillips Ophthalmic Products Inc. All
rights reserved.

>Buny

On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 23:33:47 -0600, "SumBuny"

>
>"Roger Schlafly" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> "SumBuny" <[email protected]> wrote
>> > > Tests for nearsightedness and for eyeglass prescriptions *are*
>> objective.
>> > > Perhaps you think that eyecharts are not objective, but most
>> optometrists
>> > > do all their diagnosis and testing with objective tests that look
>> directly
>> > > at the lens in the eye. The eyechart is just a way of double-checking the results.
>> > Not necessarily...why is it that they have you read the same chart with
>> both
>> > eyes? All it takes is someone with a good memory to screw that one
>> up...not
>> > to mention that one can use closure to comprehend a letter that is still very fuzzy...
>>
>> You're not reading. You can foolishly try to trick the optometrist, but it won't work because he
>> really uses other objective tests that do not involve the eyechart.
>
>....such as....

such as

http://www.lpoproducts.com/Products/LPO231.asp

"jake" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 16:38:12 -0600, "SumBuny" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >
> >"jake" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> >> On Mon, 22 Dec 2003 13:36:28 -0600, "SumBuny" <[email protected]> wrote:
> >> > "jake" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >> > news:p[email protected]...
> >> > >there are no medical tests for ADHD. It is not a medical condition.
> >> >
> >>
> >> >What are the "medical tests" for near-sightedness? Far-sightedness?
> >Pain?
> >> >Autism? Sensory integration disorder? If you cannot state any, does
> >that
> >> >mean that these are not medical conditions? That they should/can not
be
> >> >treated? That they are not real?
> >> >
> >> >Try to spend some time volunteering in special education classes with students who do not have
> >> >"medical conditions" because the tests for
them
> >are
> >> >not truly objective...and whil you are at it, insist that everyone
remove
> >> >their prescription lenses, because that too is subjective, not
> >objectively
> >> >tested...
> >>
> >> >
> >> >Until then, do not tell me that my family is not dealing with
disabling
> >> >conditions, such as ADHD, autism, sid, pain....
> >> >
> >>
> >> I am not aware that pointing out that diabetes is nothing like ADHD is telling you and family
> >> anything..or that I have ever suggested such a thing..
> >>
> >
> >It was not your pointing out diabetes is "nothing like ADHD" that I was commenting on, but the
> >comment of "there are no medical tests for ADHD.
>
> there are not..
>
> >It is not a medical condition"
>
> I am by no means alone in holding this view as I am sure you are aware this is what seems to make
> you angry..

Being told that I am "making up the condition of ADHD so I can score drugs" has a funny effect of
making me angry...

>
>
> >that I was...and you conveniently snipped both that and my explanatory comments...your comment
> >was "telling my family"
that
> >our ADHD, autism, sid, pain issues are not "medical conditions"...
>
> I said nothing as to whether autism,sid,or chronic pain were medical conditions..

Then tell me what "objective medical tests" diagnose them--otherwise, your logic of why ADHD is not
a medical condition implies that these are not...

>
> The snipping was not "convenient"..I simply focussed on where I was being blatantly misinterpreted
> and traduced..
>
> I was asked what I thought the difference was and IMO the difference is that ADHD is not a disease
> or an identifiable medical condition..
>
> I am entitled to hold this view without being accused of telling your family that autism ..SID
> ..and chronic pain are not medical conditions..am I not?
>

Tell me how these are medical conditions when your statement that ADHD is not--based on its lack of
objective medical tests--would say otherwise....IOW, why is it that you can be prejudicial against
ADHD and then claim you are not with other conditions diagnosed the *same way*...

IOW, prove to me you are not a prejudical hypocrite. Buny

SumBuny wrote:

> Considering that both chronic pain and ADHD are diagnosed subjectively...and the former patients
> never forget their meds while the latter often do...then why is the ADHDer called addicted to
> drugs for a "made up condition" and the pain sufferer is not?
>

Tou-cottonpicken-che'!

=)

--
Sojo

SEVEN.2.7.2.reply.

ASCII stupid question. Get a stupid ANSI

SumBuny wrote:

> · provides original ideas · or isn't afraid to steal them.

ouch ! (am hiding from nancy)

sammi

> > > Tests for nearsightedness and for eyeglass prescriptions *are*
> objective.
> > > Perhaps you think that eyecharts are not objective, but most
> optometrists
> > > do all their diagnosis and testing with objective tests that look
> directly
> > > at the lens in the eye. The eyechart is just a way of double-checking the results.
> > Not necessarily...why is it that they have you read the same chart with
> both
> > eyes? All it takes is someone with a good memory to screw that one
> up...not
> > to mention that one can use closure to comprehend a letter that is still very fuzzy...
>
> You're not reading. You can foolishly try to trick the optometrist, but it won't work because he
> really uses other objective tests that do not involve the eyechart.

....such as....

> > If this is the case, why is it that they still have you try so many different lenses. "Ok, is
> > this one better, or is that one?" If it is
> only
> > a matter of reading charts, then there would be no need for that, right?
>
> He's double-checking.

You are double-reaching....

Where did you get your medical degree? Buny

"mark" <[email protected]> wrote
> Then why is my final perscription different from that generated when I gaze into the automated
> machine?

Check with your optometrist. He might be using your astrological chart. <g>

I was responding to SumBuny who claimed that there is no objective medical test for nearsightedness.
She is wrong.

> "mark" <[email protected]> wrote
> > Then why is my final perscription different from that generated when I gaze into the automated
> > machine?
>
> Check with your optometrist. He might be using your astrological chart. <g>
>
> I was responding to SumBuny who claimed that there is no objective medical test for
> nearsightedness. She is wrong.

You have yet to explain what they are... Buny

> "Jon Quixote" <[email protected]> wrote
> > You know, speaking of caffiene, that more than anything has sent me
> towards
> > tracking down my likely ADHD. I drank anywhere from two to three
> TWO-LITERS
> > of soda a day for over twenty years. Started with the "Real Thing", then somehow became
> > habituated to Diet Pepsi then Diet Dr. Pepper. I was a running joke even to myself, for I kept a
> > two-liter "going" all
> the
> > time no matter where I was, including out to dinner in public, etc. No diabetes, no sugar
> > craving, just drank it all the time and thought it
> was
>
> And you weren't addicted? Ok, maybe not, but most people who tell stories like that were addicts.

******** Roger. That's a description of a near average American citizen. You're lying or skating
now. But you always have bee.. moo

"SumBuny" <[email protected]>

> FWIW, I am rather big on the smoking issue...

So are health and life insurers. As of now, there's just nothing like it to increase the risk of
everything. At least in the opinion of health insurance agencies.

moo

.I try not to be, but being
> asthmatic and allergic, when someone else lights up, it impacts my ability to breathe...usually I
> leave the room, but it is not always possible...I understand a person's rights, including the
> right to smoke...but I also understand a person's rights to breathe without impediment...and
> *that* is
a
> tricky balancing act for any group of people....
>
> Buny

jake wrote:

> "Motor vehicle accidents are the leading cause of death in adolescents, andthe rate for such
> deaths is four times higher for adolescent drivers with ADHD," Cox told Reuters Health. "The key
> ADHD-related problem that interferes with safe driving is inattention. However, when treated with
> stimulant therapy, adolescents with ADHD drive as well as those without this" condition."
>
> hmmm... so he is saying kids(Dxed with ADHD)on speed drive more safely? thats food for thought I
> must admit.. lots of food for thought there in fact..thank you for posting it..

we are also less accident prone. the ritalin helps youstop and think, just that minisecond longer
and so you reach for the hot dish and then stop to get a oven glove, whereas without the ritalin i
wouldn't stop. my rms are full of burn scars from hot ovens and not thinking about what i was doing.
the impulsivity is not just about saying whatever comes into your head, it's all pervasive, it can
be dangerous, quite often it's embarressing. the lack of attention to detail is damging; it can cost
you your job. i could go on, but even with med i lose track of my thoughts, am already onto the next
subject. that's annoying.

anybody who suggests that notmedicating a child with adhd is better than medicating is at best
clueless of the nature of adhd and its implications in _real_ life. of course it would be lovely to
live in an environment where kids can be kids and all that blah, but that isn't reall; if you
removed or adapted the environment to suit an adhd kid you would have nothing. you would have no
streets, no glass in windows, no sink on the wall. you wouldn't go in the car anywhere, no family
outtings. your child may never learn to read, quite probably they'll be only fit for menial labour.
a vast majority will end up in prison (that is the reality of now in fact), become addicted to
various drugs (attempts to self-medicate) and generally make their lives and the lives of those
around them, miserable.

>
>>Do note this...like diabetes, ADHD does not always need medication to be treated....some diabetics
>>do fine with diet and excercise (behavior modifications), some need the addition of medication to
>>the behavior modifications. I.e., insulin alone will not treat the diabetes, but changes in
>>behavior (diet, exercise) are also needed. The same goes for ADHD. Some do fine with behavior
>>modification and coping mechanisms (such as those found http://www.add.org/content/school/list.htm
>>) But there are those who need medication *in addition to* those behavior changes...medication
>>alone will not treat ADHD any more than it will treat diabetes, when it is used.

agreed. it really does depend on the severity and situation. my son does generally not get
medication when at home but in those situations which i know will cause him problems he does get his
medication. jonathan cannot cope with any kind of change in social situations; that is, he is fine
at home within his family circle. the moment a change is introduced it impacts upon him; he becomes
exicted. that means that when my daughters bring friends home jpnathan gets wound-up. there is no
sense or ryhme in this; it is just the way it is. it meant at one point, before medication my
daughters could not bring their friends home. it also means that jonathan cannot play with other
children. there is noway anyone could convince me that this adapting the environment to suit the
child is the right way to go; it is totally unrealistic and nurtures rather than addresses the
problem. otoh, this 'behavioural modification' you swing so jollily around, has its limits, the main
one being the abilty to implement it with a child who is, for instance, up the wall. i don't suppose
you've ever tried to reaso with a child who is in an adhd 'high' ? it takes a lot of skill and when
you have to do it nearly every night and most of the day, what kind of life is that ? i agree
medication shouldn't be the only answer or action but it serves as an enabler to the other methods.
we know, for instance that jonathans' dyslexia is not due to his being truely dyslexic but being due
to his attenuation difficulties. we know this because their are tests which diagnose dyslexia and he
has no difficutlies in areas also associated with dyslexia, such as reversal or sequencing problems,
jonathan has none of those so his 'dyslexia is due to him being unable to access a certain type of
information necessary to learn to read. the best behavioural (modification) systems in the world
cannot work if you cannot access the subject, or the subject it, and you'll end up with a distorted
parody where order may be maintained but no learning is not happening.

btw, diabetes is treated with differntmethods because there are differnt types of diabetes. some are
induced or caused nutritionally and so can be treated nutritionally, and some are due to a true
deficiency and can only be adressed with insulin plus diet.

sammi