Ritalin Helps Beat Cancer Fatigue

"Roger Schlafly" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "Marciosos7 Probertiosos8" <[email protected]> wrote
> > > I am happy to recognize the research. Yes, the physiological response when ritalin or cocaine
> > > is snorted or injected is much faster. It can
> > Now youhave to recognize that the rapid uptake of injected or snorted ritalin, met, etc. is what
> > makes it addictive, and that oral use at the prescribed doses does not make it addictive.
>
> Just show me the published scientific paper.
>
> Rush Limbaugh claims that he got addicted to prescribed pills. Are you saying that is impossible?

Well. Rush Limboob, the hypocrite, has his own thery. Did he mention that he was abusing them prior
to becoming addicted? I define abusing as not taking them as prescribed.

> If it has been shown to be impossible, then there must be a recognized paper saying so.

Sorry, Roger, but you have been asked a gadzillion times to prove that methylphendiate is addictive
when taken as prescribed. You may not switch the burden of proof at this time.

Either provide documentation of a claim you made a gadzillion times, or admit that you are
flatuating.

On Fri, 19 Dec 2003 19:48:49 GMT, "Marciosos7 Probertiosos8"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>"jake" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>> On Fri, 19 Dec 2003 11:03:28 -0600, "SumBuny"

>> >standard?

>> >Insulin
>is
>an

>> >with

>> >Perhaps...but Roger stated something about drugs that affect the brain,
>and
>> >insulin *does* that...he also defined "addiction" as a drug that someone could not stop taking
>> >"when given the opportunity"...insulin also fits
>that.
>> >It was used to point out that his "logic/definition" is specious at
>best...
>>
>> a lot of this is word games..
>
>Agreed. That is Roger's specialty.
>

>> addicted/dependent/withdrawal sydromes/discontinuity syndrome "addicted" has negative
>> connotations..summoning up pictures of addicts shooting up in alleys...
>>
>> If after becoming habituated people find they can no longer function without a continuous input
>> of a drug..thats addiction as far as most people are concerned..
>>
>> I suspect most diabetics have come to terms with the fact they are dependent on insulin..
>
>Diabetes is classified, in one system, as insulin dependent or non-insulin dependent. thus, your
>point is well taken.

So..bracketing the snorting and injecting and augmentation of other drugs...would you consider it
fair to say Ritalin can cause dependency when prescribed and taken as directed for ADHD?

On Fri, 19 Dec 2003 21:03:24 GMT, "Roger Schlafly" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>"SumBuny" <[email protected]> wrote
>> The "either/or" attitude is what truly sucks...you either take no medications, or you are
>> addicted to drugs....what happened to the most typical patient, the one in the middle area?
>
>Not all meds are addicting. Lots of people take vitamins every day, but I doubt that anyone is
>addicted to vitamins.

And yet they continue to take them.

Junkies--every last one of them!

"Marciosos7 Probertiosos8" <[email protected]> wrote
> > > Now you have to recognize that the rapid uptake of injected or snorted ritalin, met, etc. is
> > > what makes it addictive, and that oral use at
the
> > > prescribed doses does not make it addictive.
> > Just show me the published scientific paper.
> ... You may not switch the burden of proof at this time.

I am not. You made the claim above. I don't believe it. I cannot find it in any published
scientific paper.

> Either provide documentation of a claim you made a gadzillion times, or admit that you are
> flatuating.

I am not flatuating!

On Fri, 19 Dec 2003 19:10:32 -0500, nknisley
<[email protected]> wrote:

>To follow Block's black-and-white argument to, IMO, it's absurd conclusion, you'd have to say,
>for example:
>
>- Treating arthritis with anti-inflammatory drugs is inappropriate, because arthritis is not a anti-
> inflammatory chemical deficiency.
>
>- Treating infections with antibiotics is inappropriate, because infections aren't a antibiotic
> deficiency.
>
>- Treating high blood pressure with diuretics is inappropriate, since hypertension isn't caused by
> a diuretic deficiency.
>
>- Treating congestive heart failure with ACE inhibitors is inappropriate, since congestive heart
> failure isn't caused by an ACE inhibitor deficiency.
>
>- Treating pain with aspirin, acetaminophen or ibuprofen is inappropriate, since pain isn't caused
> by a deficiency in the chemicals in any of those medications.
>
>- Treating asthma with steroid inhalers isn't appropriate, since asthma is not a steroid
> deficiency.

this is your straw man diversion

all of the above ..with the exception of pain.. are biologically identifiable diseases..

and pain can in many cases be traced to something concrete.

ADHD is not a biological disease and unlike the other genuine medical problems you list there are no
objective biological markers used to confirm its existence..

You cannot possible follow Dr Blochs argument to any conclusion when it is perfectly clear you do
not understand it to begin with..

"SumBuny" <[email protected]> wrote
> > > Is that your definition of "addictive"? ...
> > No, but it is a good clue when we are discussing mind-altering drugs.
> ..these drugs also have effects on the brain....birth control pills, antihistimines, asthma meds,
> insulin...all impact the brain as well...are you suggesting that those who use these are addicted
> because they fail to get off of them when "given the
opportunity"?

Some people probably would. But those drugs only have a minor effect on the brain, and people take
them for other (non-brain) effects. Addiction is much more of a hazard when people take drugs solely
for their effect on the brain.

"jake" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Fri, 19 Dec 2003 19:48:49 GMT, "Marciosos7 Probertiosos8"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> >"jake" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> >> On Fri, 19 Dec 2003 11:03:28 -0600, "SumBuny"

> >is
> >an

> >and
> >that.
> >best...
> >>
> >> a lot of this is word games..
> >
> >Agreed. That is Roger's specialty.
> >

> >> addicted/dependent/withdrawal sydromes/discontinuity syndrome "addicted" has negative
> >> connotations..summoning up pictures of addicts shooting up in alleys...
> >>
> >> If after becoming habituated people find they can no longer function without a continuous input
> >> of a drug..thats addiction as far as most people are concerned..
> >>
> >> I suspect most diabetics have come to terms with the fact they are dependent on insulin..
> >
> >Diabetes is classified, in one system, as insulin dependent or
non-insulin
> >dependent. thus, your point is well taken.
>
> So..bracketing the snorting and injecting and augmentation of other drugs...would you consider it
> fair to say Ritalin can cause dependency when prescribed and taken as directed for ADHD?

Nope. I maintain that it cannot become addictive when taken as prescribed. I have asked anyone who
maintains that it cvan to provide proof. Roger has been asked a gadzillion times, but he has never
posted one well documented case study showing it can.

Joe Parsons wrote:

> On Fri, 19 Dec 2003 21:03:24 GMT, "Roger Schlafly" <[email protected]> wrote:
>

>>"SumBuny" <[email protected]> wrote
>>
>>>The "either/or" attitude is what truly sucks...you either take no medications, or you are
>>>addicted to drugs....what happened to the most typical patient, the one in the middle area?
>>
>>Not all meds are addicting. Lots of people take vitamins every day, but I doubt that anyone is
>>addicted to vitamins.
>

> And yet they continue to take them.
>
> Junkies--every last one of them!

Oh, my gosh, I'm a lettuce junkie! I could "choose" to stop eating lettuce any time I want to, but I
instead, I "choose" to continue eating it. I'm obviously addicted. And, I never snorted or crushed
and snorted lettuce either!

I guess lettuce rehab is something I should look into.

Nancy Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Roger Schlafly wrote:
> "Marciosos7 Probertiosos8" <[email protected]> wrote

> the

>>>Just show me the published scientific paper.
>>
>>... You may not switch the burden of proof at this time.
>

> I am not. You made the claim above. I don't believe it. I cannot find it in any published
> scientific paper.

The burden of proof lies with someone who is trying to assert a positive. You are asserting that
prescribed use of Mph is addictive. It is up to you to prove that and produce the articles that you
claim to exist.

"jake" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Fri, 19 Dec 2003 13:11:48 -0600, "SumBuny" <[email protected]> wrote:

> >and
> >that.
> >best...
> >>
> >> a lot of this is word games..
> >>
> >> addicted/dependent/withdrawal sydromes/discontinuity syndrome "addicted" has negative
> >> connotations..summoning up pictures of addicts shooting up in alleys...
> >>
> >> If after becoming habituated people find they can no longer function without a continuous input
> >> of a drug..thats addiction as far as most people are concerned..
> >>
> >> I suspect most diabetics have come to terms with the fact they are dependent on insulin..
> >

> >It may seem semantics to you, but I find it rather insulting/annoying/hate-filled for many who
> >post here insinuating the negative that I am addicted to antihistimines/asthma
> >meds/ADHDmeds/birth control pills/whatever...insinuating that I am the same as those who
abuse
> >illegal drugs on the street..
>
> yeah,..thats what I meant by negative connotations and conjuring up up images of junkies shooting
> up in alleys
>

> >.and then, when I call them on it, *I* am the one who is "not playing fair".....this gets old
> >rather quickly....
> >
> >The "either/or" attitude is what truly sucks...you either take no medications, or you are
> >addicted to drugs....what happened to the most typical patient, the one in the middle area?
>
> well..whilst there certainly are individual differences and personality factors involved..the
> addiction is a function of the drug..hence the precieved need to control them..
>
> obviously its an even more sensitive area where children are concerned..

Exactly...especially when strangers demand that they have the right to tell me how to raise my
children, and how to care for them, and if I do anything other than meet their demands, I am
"abusing" my children...whom they have never even met...

Buny

"jake" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Fri, 19 Dec 2003 19:10:32 -0500, nknisley <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >To follow Block's black-and-white argument to, IMO, it's absurd conclusion, you'd have to say,
> >for example:
> >
> >- Treating arthritis with anti-inflammatory drugs is inappropriate, because arthritis is not a
> > anti-inflammatory chemical deficiency.
> >
> >- Treating infections with antibiotics is inappropriate, because infections aren't a antibiotic
> > deficiency.
> >
> >- Treating high blood pressure with diuretics is inappropriate, since hypertension isn't caused
> > by a diuretic deficiency.
> >
> >- Treating congestive heart failure with ACE inhibitors is inappropriate, since congestive heart
> > failure isn't caused by an ACE inhibitor deficiency.
> >
> >- Treating pain with aspirin, acetaminophen or ibuprofen is inappropriate, since pain isn't
> > caused by a deficiency in the chemicals in any of those medications.
> >
> >- Treating asthma with steroid inhalers isn't appropriate, since asthma is not a steroid
> > deficiency.
> >
> this is your straw man diversion
>

> all of the above ..with the exception of pain.. are biologically identifiable diseases..
>
> and pain can in many cases be traced to something concrete.

Most cases it cannot, yet the dcotor does not insist the patient is not in pain...what do you do
when pain cannot be "traced back to something concrete"?

Buny

SumBuny wrote:

> "jake" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>
>>On Fri, 19 Dec 2003 14:06:00 GMT, "Marciosos7 Probertiosos8"
>><[email protected]> wrote:

> women
>
>>>on

>>>more,

> standard?

>>>stimulant used for it] is not

>>>objectively diagnosed. ADHD is an

> Insulin
>
>>>is a natural hormone

>>>chemically derived

>>>insulin deficiency. Attention

>>>Jakey...I was referring to Roger's standards, which have nothing to do
>
> with
>
>>>the real world.
>>>

>>pet peeve..
>>
>>the insulin /diabetes analogy is hackneyed ..inappropriate and worked to death..
>

> Perhaps...but Roger stated something about drugs that affect the brain, and insulin *does*
> that...he also defined "addiction" as a drug that someone could not stop taking "when given the
> opportunity"...insulin also fits that. It was used to point out that his "logic/definition" is
> specious at best...

Don't "perhaps" agree with jake about your use of the diabetes/insulin analogy, Buny!

It seems to me that jake's quote of Block saying that ADHD is not like diabetes because ADHD is an
"invented" disorder is a red herring when injected into the argument that is the focus of this
thread: whether cancer patients choosing to continue taking methylphenidate for relief of fatigue is
an indication that they were addicted to MPH.

Is anyone arguing that cancer-related fatigue is "invented"?

OTOH, your insulin/diabetes and antihistimines/allergies analogies were relevant to the argument,
since you were using those examples to show the weaknesses in Roger's reasoning when applied to
other medications that patients "choose" to continue taking.

And as far as Block's argument that Ritalin treatment for ADHD shouldn't be compared to
insulin treatment for diabetes: it's an example of "the false dilemma fallacy" AKA "the black-and-
white fallacy."

Blocks argument is basically:

1. Diabetes is a insulin deficiency, so it's appropriate to treat it with insulin.

2. There is no proof that ADHD is a stimulant deficiency, therefore treating it with stimulants is
inappropriate.

But, of course, it's not an either/or, black-and-white issue; there are appropriate reasons for
taking medication other than than to replace insufficient naturally occurring bodily chemicals,
which Block ignores in her argument.

[...]

And, to bring us back to Roger's argument:

- Treating cancer-related fatigue is methylphenidate is inappropriate because there's no proof that
a methylphenidate deficiency is involved.

Of course, it seems to me, using Roger's reasoning, all patients who choose to continue to use these
medications are addicted to them.

BTW, for those not familiar with Block, who claims to be an "international expert" on ADHD and its
treatment, as well as other behavioral problems:

Block's a doctor of Osteopathic Medicine who until fairly recently (2002?) was listed with the Texas
State Board of Medical Examiners as a specialist in "manipulative therapy," but is currently listed
as a specialist in "family practice."

Block reportedly won an award from the CCHR, a Scientology-connected group, and at least at one
time, was a member of the CCHR board of directors and paid CCHR consultant.

Nancy Unique, like everyone else

"Roger Schlafly" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "SumBuny" <[email protected]> wrote
> > > No, but it is a good clue when we are discussing mind-altering drugs.
> > ..these drugs also have effects on the brain....birth control pills, antihistimines, asthma
> > meds, insulin...all impact the brain as well...are you suggesting that those who use these
are
> > addicted because they fail to get off of them when "given the
> opportunity"?
>
> Some people probably would. But those drugs only have a minor effect on the brain, and people take
> them for other (non-brain) effects.

Hmm...what about those who ingest antihistimines for their stimulating effects? They are abusing the
OTC meds, but according to this line, cannot be addicting....

...however, your next line refutes your own statement..

> Addiction is much more of a hazard when people take drugs solely for their effect on the brain.

Are you just as vocal in decrying all stimulants taken solely for the effect on the brain? I expect
to see identical articles posted by you demanding that all caffeinated products, all chocolate (has
the same chemical as marijuana), all alcohol products be treated in the same manner that you demand
medically prescribed ADHD meds treated...

To do *anything less* would point to your hypocricy....

Buny

"Roger Schlafly" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "SumBuny" <[email protected]> wrote
> > The "either/or" attitude is what truly sucks...you either take no medications, or you are
> > addicted to drugs....what happened to the most typical patient, the one in the middle area?
>
> Not all meds are addicting. Lots of people take vitamins every day, but I doubt that anyone is
> addicted to vitamins.

I know somewone who had the choice to stop taking them, but chose not to do so. Thus, by your
criteria, they are addcited.

"nknisley" <[email protected]> wrote
> And, to bring us back to Roger's argument:
> - Treating cancer-related fatigue is methylphenidate is inappropriate because there's no proof
> that a methylphenidate deficiency is involved.

Not my argument. Cancer patients often take all sorts of weird drugs that have no relation to any
deficiency they might have. No objection from me. To be specific, it may very well be appropriate
for a cancer patient to take methylphenidate.

> Of course, it seems to me, using Roger's reasoning, all patients who choose to continue to use
> these medications are addicted to them.

Some are, some aren't. Try asking them to quit, and see what happens.

"Roger Schlafly" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "SumBuny" <[email protected]> wrote
> > The "either/or" attitude is what truly sucks...you either take no medications, or you are
> > addicted to drugs....what happened to the most typical patient, the one in the middle area?
>
> Not all meds are addicting. Lots of people take vitamins every day, but I doubt that anyone is
> addicted to vitamins.

<nodding> "Not all meds are addicting"....and that can include meds for ADHD when taken as
prescribed and monitored by one's physician..

Buny

"nknisley" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> SumBuny wrote:
>
> > "jake" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> >>>

> >>pet peeve..
> >>
> >>the insulin /diabetes analogy is hackneyed ..inappropriate and worked to death..
> >

> > Perhaps...but Roger stated something about drugs that affect the brain,
and
> > insulin *does* that...he also defined "addiction" as a drug that someone could not stop taking
> > "when given the opportunity"...insulin also fits
that.
> > It was used to point out that his "logic/definition" is specious at
best...

> Don't "perhaps" agree with jake about your use of the diabetes/insulin analogy, Buny!

I was quibbling over whether or not it is "worked to death" <g>

> It seems to me that jake's quote of Block saying that ADHD is not like diabetes because ADHD is an
> "invented" disorder is a red herring when injected into the argument that is the focus of this
> thread: whether cancer patients choosing to continue taking methylphenidate for relief of fatigue
> is an indication that they were addicted to MPH.
>
> Is anyone arguing that cancer-related fatigue is "invented"?

It *must* be, because there is no objective medical test for "fatigue"...it is "diagnosed" purely by
observations and reports by the patient....come to think of it, pain itself must be similarly
"invented" by the drug companies trying to push NSAIDs and tylenol, getting us addicted to them
because we take them whenever we think we have pain (which has no objective medical test either)...

</sarcasm>

> OTOH, your insulin/diabetes and antihistimines/allergies analogies were relevant to the argument,
> since you were using those examples to show the weaknesses in Roger's reasoning when applied to
> other medications that patients "choose" to continue taking.
>
> And as far as Block's argument that Ritalin treatment for ADHD shouldn't be compared to insulin
> treatment for diabetes: it's an example of "the false dilemma fallacy" AKA "the black-and-white
> fallacy."
>
> Blocks argument is basically:
>
> 1. Diabetes is a insulin deficiency, so it's appropriate to treat it with insulin.
>
> 2. There is no proof that ADHD is a stimulant deficiency, therefore treating it with stimulants is
> inappropriate.
>
> But, of course, it's not an either/or, black-and-white issue; there are appropriate reasons for
> taking medication other than than to replace insufficient naturally occurring bodily chemicals,
> which Block ignores in her argument.
>
> To follow Block's black-and-white argument to, IMO, it's absurd conclusion, you'd have to say, for
> example:
>
> - Treating arthritis with anti-inflammatory drugs is inappropriate, because arthritis is not a anti-
> inflammatory chemical deficiency.
>
> - Treating infections with antibiotics is inappropriate, because infections aren't a antibiotic
> deficiency.
>
> - Treating high blood pressure with diuretics is inappropriate, since hypertension isn't caused by
> a diuretic deficiency.
>
> - Treating congestive heart failure with ACE inhibitors is inappropriate, since congestive heart
> failure isn't caused by an ACE inhibitor deficiency.
>
> - Treating pain with aspirin, acetaminophen or ibuprofen is inappropriate, since pain isn't caused
> by a deficiency in the chemicals in any of those medications.
>
> - Treating asthma with steroid inhalers isn't appropriate, since asthma is not a steroid
> deficiency.
>
> And, to bring us back to Roger's argument:
>
> - Treating cancer-related fatigue is methylphenidate is inappropriate because there's no proof
> that a methylphenidate deficiency is involved.

All great analogies!

> Of course, it seems to me, using Roger's reasoning, all patients who choose to continue to use
> these medications are addicted to them.
>
> BTW, for those not familiar with Block, who claims to be an "international expert" on ADHD and its
> treatment, as well as other behavioral problems:
>
> Block's a doctor of Osteopathic Medicine who until fairly recently (2002?) was listed with the
> Texas State Board of Medical Examiners as a specialist in "manipulative therapy," but is currently
> listed as a specialist in "family practice."
>
> Block reportedly won an award from the CCHR, a Scientology-connected group, and at least at one
> time, was a member of the CCHR board of directors and paid CCHR consultant.

Why am I not surprised to hear this last bit.... Buny

"Roger Schlafly" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "nknisley" <[email protected]> wrote
> > And, to bring us back to Roger's argument:
> > - Treating cancer-related fatigue is methylphenidate is inappropriate because there's no proof
> > that a methylphenidate deficiency is involved.
>
> Not my argument. Cancer patients often take all sorts of weird drugs that have no relation to any
> deficiency they might have. No objection from me. To be specific, it may very well be appropriate
> for a cancer patient to take methylphenidate.

...unless that patient has ADHD...

> > Of course, it seems to me, using Roger's reasoning, all patients who choose to continue to use
> > these medications are addicted to them.
>
> Some are, some aren't. Try asking them to quit, and see what happens.

You ask a diabetic, and asthmatic, a hypertensive, an allergic, a migraineur to "just stop taking
your meds", and when they say, "no," are you going to say that they are addicts?

You *are* stating categorically that you have, and will, *refuse all medications*?

Buny

"Roger Schlafly" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "nknisley" <[email protected]> wrote
> > And, to bring us back to Roger's argument:
> > - Treating cancer-related fatigue is methylphenidate is inappropriate because there's no proof
> > that a methylphenidate deficiency is involved.
>
> Not my argument. Cancer patients often take all sorts of weird drugs that have no relation to any
> deficiency they might have. No objection from me. To be specific, it may very well be appropriate
> for a cancer patient to take methylphenidate.
>
> > Of course, it seems to me, using Roger's reasoning, all patients who choose to continue to use
> > these medications are addicted to them.
>
> Some are, some aren't. Try asking them to quit, and see what happens.

Don't let them suck you into their little games.

A drug is addictive owing to it's chemical properties.

It makes no difference how much or how little one uses....the drug itself is addictive.

Makes no difference whether you got the MPH on the street corner or via a prescription.

If a drug has addictive properties...those susceptible to addiction going to be hooked..

No amount of wishful thinking or propaganda posted by pariah and co ever going to alter the fact
that stimulants are addicting.