Ritchey Super Logic bottom bracket installation.

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by [email protected], Dec 28, 2004.

  1. I got this a while back for a project bike and finally got around to
    putting the bike together. For some reason the only way I could get
    this bottom bracket on was with the fixed cup on the right side and the
    adjustable cup on the left side. Are these bottom brackets made to be
    put on this way ? There were no instructions in or on the box. Or
    were these part of some screwed up reverse threaded bottom bracket
    batch?

    Tags:

  2. Yes
    So far as I know all bikes have the fixed cup of the rt. side. There
    are probably some wired boles made in inner Mongolia that are
    different, but the vast majority of reasonably modern bikes (<60yrs
    old) are this way.
    John

  3. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    [email protected] wrote:
    > Yes
    > So far as I know all bikes have the fixed cup of the rt. side. There
    > are probably some wired boles made in inner Mongolia that are
    > different, but the vast majority of reasonably modern bikes (<60yrs
    > old) are this way.

    Not so. Modern cartridge BB units are made both ways, lip
    on the left and lip on the right. Often different models
    by the same manufacturer

    Shimano for example. I just picked up two. UN70 fixed side
    is left. UN53 is right.

    --
    Andrew Muzi
    www.yellowjersey.org

  4. OK, thanks for the verification that there are variations. From memory
    all of my old loose ball bearing bottom brackets had the fixed cup on
    the left. The Shimano BB's I had lying around were the same so I
    extrapolated from that. The Ritchey is kind of weird in that there is
    a ring to adjust the bearing load on the left side.

  5. [email protected] wrote:

    > OK, thanks for the verification that there are variations. From memory
    > all of my old loose ball bearing bottom brackets had the fixed cup on
    > the left.

    Your memory is playing you false. The fixed cup is _always_ on the right.

    Sheldon "Aide-Memoire" Brown
    | There is a remedy for everything; |
    | it is called death. |
    | --Portuguese Proverb |
    Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
    http://harriscyclery.com
    Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

  6. Tom Reingold

    Tom Reingold Guest

    Sheldon Brown wrote:
    > [email protected] wrote:
    >
    >> OK, thanks for the verification that there are variations. From memory
    >> all of my old loose ball bearing bottom brackets had the fixed cup on
    >> the left.

    > Your memory is playing you false. The fixed cup is _always_ on the right.
    >
    > Sheldon "Aide-Memoire" Brown

    Unless, of course, we don't agree on which left and right are. The fixed
    cup goes on the side that the rider's right leg is near. If you view the
    bike from the front, you would call that the left.

    --
    Tom Reingold
    Noo Joizy

  7. [email protected] wrote:

    >>> OK, thanks for the verification that there are variations. From memory
    >>> all of my old loose ball bearing bottom brackets had the fixed cup on
    >>> the left.

    I replied:

    Someone else wrote:

    > Unless, of course, we don't agree on which left and right are. The fixed
    > cup goes on the side that the rider's right leg is near. If you view the
    > bike from the front, you would call that the left.

    Why would you do that? Do you think that U.S. cars have the steering
    wheels on the right? ;-)

    Sheldon "The Fixed Cup Is On The Starboard Side" Brown
    | It is better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid |
    | than to open it and remove all doubt. --Mark Twain |
    Phone 617-244-9772 FAX 617-244-1041
    http://harriscyclery.com
    Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide

  8. Mark Janeba

    Mark Janeba Guest

    Sheldon Brown wrote:

    > I replied:
    >

    >>> Your memory is playing you false. The fixed cup is _always_ on the
    >>> right.

    > Someone else wrote:
    >

    >> Unless, of course, we don't agree on which left and right are. The
    >> fixed cup goes on the side that the rider's right leg is near. If you
    >> view the bike from the front, you would call that the left.

    > Why would you do that? Do you think that U.S. cars have the steering
    > wheels on the right? ;-)

    Ummm... if you bust out the windshield, and sit on the dash facing
    backwards to drive... Gotta rig up sumpin' funny for the pedals, though.

    Mark Janeba

  9. carlfogel

    carlfogel New Member

    Joined:
    Nov 24, 2003
    Dear Sheldon,

    Er, am I missing something?

    Cheers,

    Cliff Claven

  10. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    [email protected] wrote:

    > OK, thanks for the verification that there are variations. From memory
    > all of my old loose ball bearing bottom brackets had the fixed cup on
    > the left. The Shimano BB's I had lying around were the same so I
    > extrapolated from that. The Ritchey is kind of weird in that there is
    > a ring to adjust the bearing load on the left side.

    Almost.
    The traditional system has a thin lip on the chain side cup.
    That cup is set tightly, so tightly as to be called the
    "fixed cup". The right cup is normally not moved except
    when replaced. For routine maintenance it is cleaned in
    place. The off side (left) is adjustable and secured with a
    lockring.

    --
    Andrew Muzi
    www.yellowjersey.org
    Open every day since 1 April, 1971

  11. Tom Sherman

    Tom Sherman Guest

    Sheldon Brown wrote:

    > Someone else wrote:
    >

    >> Unless, of course, we don't agree on which left and right are. The
    >> fixed cup goes on the side that the rider's right leg is near. If you
    >> view the bike from the front, you would call that the left.

    > Why would you do that?...

    If the person were a stoker on this tandem:
    <http://tandem-fahren.de/Modelle/Lieger/flevo.jpg>. :)

    --
    Tom Sherman - Near Rock Island

  12. carlfogel

    carlfogel New Member

    Joined:
    Nov 24, 2003
    Dear Sheldon,

    The vote is 2-1 in your favor here:

    http://www.bilenky.com/images/waltz2.jpg

    I can't find any pictures of the similar Counterpoint Trio.

    Carl Fogel

  13. Wow, it's been so long time since I have used a loose ball bearing
    bottom bracket I've forgotten what they look like. This Ritchey is a
    cartridge bearing bottom bracket but has a lock ring like the old
    school bottom brackets.

  14. Tom Sherman

    Tom Sherman Guest

    carlfogel wrote:

    > Dear Sheldon,
    >
    > The vote is 2-1 in your favor here:
    >
    > http://www.bilenky.com/images/waltz2.jpg
    >
    > I can't find any pictures of the similar Counterpoint Trio.

    Is the Bilenky simply a copy of the Counterpoint, the same way the
    Bilenky Viewpoint is a copy of the Counterpoint Opus IV (and the Pashley
    PDQ and PDQ3 are copies of the Counterpoint Presto and Triad)?

    --
    Tom Sherman - Near Rock Island

  15. When I was young & dumb 'an full of it, I usta ride sitting on the
    handle bars ;-) That would put the drive side on the left.
    John

  16. Is this tandem manufactured? Or just a concept bike? John

  17. Tom Sherman

    Tom Sherman Guest

    [email protected] wrote:

    > Is this tandem manufactured? Or just a concept bike? John

    I understand that it is/was a production bike, but I have never seen one.

    I can verify that the Mic Wic Delta back-to-back tandem exists, have
    seen one in person.
    <http://www.encycleopedia.com/index.cfm?pid=23&edID=303&thePage=photos>

    --
    Tom Sherman - Near Rock Island