Road bike recommendation, please

On 2 Jul, 19:16, Paul Rudin <[email protected]> wrote:
> I agree about suspension. I'd find something with a Nexus hub tbh, and
> a hub dynamo if the budget stretches that far (presumably some kind of
> lights/batteries are needed in any case). Mudguards are also a good
> thing for commuting.

I did nearly suggest the Giant Expression N3, which has a 3-speed
Nexus hub gear, but are three gears really enough? I don't know
Oxford at all or the surrounding area I can't say if the 3 gears would
be enough.

For the record, though, you can get one here:
http://www.dalescycles.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=GNTEXPN307
for £200 which seems like a decent deal.

Unfortunately 7-speed Nexus bikes tend to be a bit outside the
original budget, though the same people do the Expression N7 for £280,
but only in a 19" frame, which may be a bit small for the OP.

Colin

Simon Brooke <[email protected]> wrote:

> in message <[email protected]>, Aaron B
> ('[email protected]') wrote:
>

> > "Simon Brooke" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> >>
> >> If you can't get there, the Claud Butler Classic at about ?200
> >> including rack and mudguards is a good solid reliable buy and excellent
> >> value for money.
> >>
> >> http://www.falconcycles.co.uk/CORP/cb/classicM.html
> >>

> > I've had a look at this bike and did like it. The shop also showed me a
> > Claud Butler Urban 200 (?249) that seemed very good. It has a 24 speed
> > gear system, suspension on the seat post and a front suspension fork.
> > What do you think about this bike?

> Cheap suspension forks are really, really not good on tarmac (and not much
> good off it). They're also adding weight and complexity. If you can afford
> it carbon fibre forks are good, but if you can't afford carbon then steel
> is best.

i dunno the cheap forks take the worse out of lumps and bumps, and a
cheap bike tends to weigh a ton any how.

> A suspension seat post can be worth having.

roger
--
www.rogermerriman.com

>> Cheap suspension forks are really, really not good on tarmac (and not
>> much good off it). They're also adding weight and complexity. If you
>> can afford it carbon fibre forks are good, but if you can't afford
>> carbon then steel is best.
>>

> i dunno the cheap forks take the worse out of lumps and bumps, and a
> cheap bike tends to weigh a ton any how.

I decided that cheap forks are okay for a trundly that never puts much
power through the pedals and isn't bothered about the weight of the bike.
Because they're putting so little energy in the inefficiencies will not
matter. I still advised against them thobut.

Mark
<pleasegivegenerously@warmail*turn_up_the_heat_to_reply*.com.invalid>
wrote:

> >> Cheap suspension forks are really, really not good on tarmac (and not
> >> much good off it). They're also adding weight and complexity. If you
> >> can afford it carbon fibre forks are good, but if you can't afford
> >> carbon then steel is best.
> >>

> > i dunno the cheap forks take the worse out of lumps and bumps, and a
> > cheap bike tends to weigh a ton any how.

> I decided that cheap forks are okay for a trundly that never puts much
> power through the pedals and isn't bothered about the weight of the bike.
> Because they're putting so little energy in the inefficiencies will not
> matter. I still advised against them thobut.

yup it's fine on the heavy lump of hybrid i have takes the worse out of
the bigger potholes etc, but wouldn't right on my old mountain bike
which i use to wiz around on.

roger
--
www.rogermerriman.com

On 2007-06-30 20:11 +0000, Aaron B wrote:
> I'm looking for a recommendation for a road bike. These are my
> requirements:
> Less than £300
> Built for on-road use
> Gears to cope with hills
> Comfortable saddle - or able to be easily changed for one
>
> The bike is for use in Oxford, getting me to and from the JR hospital to the
> centre of town every day. This distance is about 2.5 miles or so.

Avoid mountain bikes with knobbly tyres and suspension, and
featherweight high-end racing machines. Good touring machines start at
about 700 UKP, so that leaves hybrid or town style. From your
description, it sounds like you're looking for either a more road-y
hybrid style bike, or maybe a low-end road bike if you want a fast
commute.

Bearing in mind that this will be a commuter bike, does it have to be
shiny and new? If not, you might be able to get a good custom (f.c.v.o.
"custom") bike built at the Oxford Cycle Workshop <URL:
http://oxford.openguides.org/wiki/?Oxford_Cycle_Workshop > on Magdalen
Road. Their off-the-peg new and reconditioned bikes are fairly decent and
inexpensive too.

Bee Line on Cowley Road are a good high-end shop, but stock a decent
selection of low-to-mid--priced hybrids. Walton Street Cycles and
Warlands on Botley Road are decent as well; avoid Cycle King and
Halfords like the plague.

Any shop worth its salt will swap out gear cassettes and saddles when
you buy, and will let you try a bike out before buying.

If you're University staff, consider <URL:
http://www.admin.ox.ac.uk/estates/travel/sssbike.shtml >.

You don't really need *that* many gears for this commute. 5 or 7 would
be OK, provided they go down low enough for the hills. Either an old
ten-speed, or a hybrid fitted with a hub gear would be fine.

Avoid suspension at <300 UKP. Any sus you can buy at this price will be
awful.

Consider mudguards, lights (hub dynamos are an excellent, if expensive,
choice), and rack in the price.

I'd recommend a Brooks saddle at an appropriate width for your sitting
parts. Saddles are a fairly personal choice, though: it might be better
to stick with the stock saddle and replace it later on when you know
where it chafes or sticks.

--
Andrew Chadwick