road / cyclocross wheel reccomendations

Mark Obrien

Guest
I would like a wheelset for road riding and cyclocross, been looking at Shimano R540 and Mavic
Cosmic wheelsets. Any experiences with either wheel vendor? other reccomendations? thanks -- MO

I just started to look at cylocross for winter training. You will have to buy two separate wheels .
This means you can't use your old road bike without $ or modifications (bummer). Plus the geometry
is different. Mavic was recommended to me.

In article <[email protected]>, Mark OBrien <[email protected]> wrote:
>I would like a wheelset for road riding and cyclocross, been looking at Shimano R540 and Mavic
>Cosmic wheelsets. Any experiences with either wheel vendor? other reccomendations?

You may as well flip a coin, there's not enough information here to say whether either of those
wheelsets would be good for you - your weight, riding style, riding conditions, mileage, history of
your existing wheels, desired lifespan of your new wheels, whether you expect to ride home after
breaking a spoke, desire for light weight, tire choice, budget, etc. A good wheelbuilder will
consider those factors (if you provide the data) and produce the correct wheel for you. Manufactured
wheels can be good quality, but they are only a good match for some riders and some types of riding;
generally a hand-built wheel will be a better value, more servicable, more reliable, unless your #1
priority is weight.

--Paul