road / cyclocross wheel reccomendations

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Mark Obrien, Jul 14, 2003.

  1. Mark Obrien

    Mark Obrien Guest

    I would like a wheelset for road riding and cyclocross, been looking at Shimano R540 and Mavic
    Cosmic wheelsets. Any experiences with either wheel vendor? other reccomendations? thanks -- MO

    Tags:

  2. Drew Cutter

    Drew Cutter Guest

    I just started to look at cylocross for winter training. You will have to buy two separate wheels .
    This means you can't use your old road bike without $ or modifications (bummer). Plus the geometry
    is different. Mavic was recommended to me.

  3. In article <[email protected]>, Mark OBrien <[email protected]> wrote:
    >I would like a wheelset for road riding and cyclocross, been looking at Shimano R540 and Mavic
    >Cosmic wheelsets. Any experiences with either wheel vendor? other reccomendations?

    You may as well flip a coin, there's not enough information here to say whether either of those
    wheelsets would be good for you - your weight, riding style, riding conditions, mileage, history of
    your existing wheels, desired lifespan of your new wheels, whether you expect to ride home after
    breaking a spoke, desire for light weight, tire choice, budget, etc. A good wheelbuilder will
    consider those factors (if you provide the data) and produce the correct wheel for you. Manufactured
    wheels can be good quality, but they are only a good match for some riders and some types of riding;
    generally a hand-built wheel will be a better value, more servicable, more reliable, unless your #1
    priority is weight.

    --Paul