Road stem clamp diameter?

Gooserider

Guest
I recently ordered a new Gunnar Sport frame and I'm hunting for parts. The
bike has a 1 1/8 threadless steerer, and I'm wanting to put a randonneur bar
on it. Nitto makes a nice one, and it's affordable, but it's 25.4mm clamp
diameter. I've never used threadless stems before, so I'm unclear if I'll
need the Nitto shim with a threadless stem or not.

Mike

Gooserider wrote:
> I recently ordered a new Gunnar Sport frame and I'm hunting for

parts. The
> bike has a 1 1/8 threadless steerer, and I'm wanting to put a

randonneur bar
> on it. Nitto makes a nice one, and it's affordable, but it's 25.4mm

clamp
> diameter. I've never used threadless stems before, so I'm unclear if

I'll
> need the Nitto shim with a threadless stem or not.
>
> Mike

25.4mm is the mountain bike standard, so you can use any "mountain
bike" threadless stem made since the beginning of time.

If you want to use a "road" stem, you'll need to use the shim to fit
those bars in the road-standard 26.0mm clamp.

Jeff

Gooserider wrote:
> I recently ordered a new Gunnar Sport frame and I'm hunting for

parts. The
> bike has a 1 1/8 threadless steerer, and I'm wanting to put a

randonneur bar
> on it. Nitto makes a nice one, and it's affordable, but it's 25.4mm

clamp
> diameter. I've never used threadless stems before, so I'm unclear if

I'll
> need the Nitto shim with a threadless stem or not.
>
> Mike

Use any threadless mountain stem, like some from Ritchey. 25.4mm clamp.