Road tire reccomendation, please

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Rick Onanian, Jul 30, 2003.

  1. Rick Onanian

    Rick Onanian Guest

    Opinions wanted on 700x23 tires. I've got Hutchinson Carbon Comps that are a couple years old but
    only 150 miles, rather cracked and rotted, and I've just found a cut in the tread that shows the
    belt. When I checked their reviews on roadbikereview.com, a whole bunch of people had the same
    experience. I guess these are race tires, not training / everyday tires.

    They came on the bike, and I like their ride, handling, and weight.

    Any suggestions for a good ride, good handling, light weight tire that takes 125 psi or more?

    --
    Rick Onanian

    Tags:

  2. On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 16:08:14 -0400, Rick Onanian <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Opinions wanted on 700x23 tires. I've got Hutchinson Carbon Comps that are a couple years old but
    >only 150 miles, rather cracked and rotted,

    Do you happen to store the bike next to a furnace, well pump, or other electric motor? Some motors
    can produce a lot of ozone, that can damage tires, and other plastic and rubber items.

    Barry

  3. Rick Onanian

    Rick Onanian Guest

    On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 20:21:51 GMT, B a r r y B u r k e J r .
    <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Do you happen to store the bike next to a furnace, well pump, or other electric motor? Some motors
    > can produce a lot of ozone, that can damage tires, and other plastic and rubber items.

    There are any number of possible ozone sources near where I store the bike, and I don't doubt that
    they're exacerbating the sidewall deterioration.

    However, when I looked them up on roadbikereview.com, I found that others had the same experience,
    right down to the cuts in the tread. After posting, I examined the rear wheel more closely, and
    found many cuts, though only a couple that make the belt visible. The front wheel has cuts too!

    I'm sure that my long, 1.5" stone driveway doesn't help either.

    --
    Rick Onanian

  4. Rick Onanian wrote:

    > Opinions wanted on 700x23 tires. I've got Hutchinson Carbon Comps that are a couple years old but
    > only 150 miles, rather cracked and rotted, and I've just found a cut in the tread that shows the
    > belt. When I checked their reviews on roadbikereview.com, a whole bunch of people had the same
    > experience. I guess these are race tires, not training / everyday tires.
    >
    > They came on the bike, and I like their ride, handling, and weight.
    >
    > Any suggestions for a good ride, good handling, light weight tire that takes 125 psi or more?

    Based on recommendations from many others in this group, I just got Vittoria Rubino Pros. They're
    700x23; recommended pressure 100-125psi, plus you get your choice of colored sidewalls:). I'm very
    happy with them, but they've only been on for a couple of weeks.

    Sandy

  5. I have the same tire (with Kevlar though).....they are all cracked too ... I am used to Continental
    and never had a similar problem.... I did take the Hutchinson because my bicycle reseller did cary
    Conti anymore.....well I will go back to Conti or Michelin next time.

    --
    Mike "Rick Onanian" <[email protected]> a √©crit dans le message de news:
    [email protected]