Road tire reccomendation, please

Rick Onanian

Guest
Opinions wanted on 700x23 tires. I've got Hutchinson Carbon Comps that are a couple years old but
only 150 miles, rather cracked and rotted, and I've just found a cut in the tread that shows the
belt. When I checked their reviews on roadbikereview.com, a whole bunch of people had the same
experience. I guess these are race tires, not training / everyday tires.

They came on the bike, and I like their ride, handling, and weight.

Any suggestions for a good ride, good handling, light weight tire that takes 125 psi or more?

--
Rick Onanian

On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 16:08:14 -0400, Rick Onanian <[email protected]> wrote:

>Opinions wanted on 700x23 tires. I've got Hutchinson Carbon Comps that are a couple years old but
>only 150 miles, rather cracked and rotted,

Do you happen to store the bike next to a furnace, well pump, or other electric motor? Some motors
can produce a lot of ozone, that can damage tires, and other plastic and rubber items.

Barry

On Wed, 30 Jul 2003 20:21:51 GMT, B a r r y B u r k e J r .
<[email protected]> wrote:
> Do you happen to store the bike next to a furnace, well pump, or other electric motor? Some motors
> can produce a lot of ozone, that can damage tires, and other plastic and rubber items.

There are any number of possible ozone sources near where I store the bike, and I don't doubt that
they're exacerbating the sidewall deterioration.

However, when I looked them up on roadbikereview.com, I found that others had the same experience,
right down to the cuts in the tread. After posting, I examined the rear wheel more closely, and
found many cuts, though only a couple that make the belt visible. The front wheel has cuts too!

I'm sure that my long, 1.5" stone driveway doesn't help either.

--
Rick Onanian

Rick Onanian wrote:

> Opinions wanted on 700x23 tires. I've got Hutchinson Carbon Comps that are a couple years old but
> only 150 miles, rather cracked and rotted, and I've just found a cut in the tread that shows the
> belt. When I checked their reviews on roadbikereview.com, a whole bunch of people had the same
> experience. I guess these are race tires, not training / everyday tires.
>
> They came on the bike, and I like their ride, handling, and weight.
>
> Any suggestions for a good ride, good handling, light weight tire that takes 125 psi or more?

Based on recommendations from many others in this group, I just got Vittoria Rubino Pros. They're
700x23; recommended pressure 100-125psi, plus you get your choice of colored sidewalls:). I'm very
happy with them, but they've only been on for a couple of weeks.

Sandy

I have the same tire (with Kevlar though).....they are all cracked too ... I am used to Continental
and never had a similar problem.... I did take the Hutchinson because my bicycle reseller did cary
Conti anymore.....well I will go back to Conti or Michelin next time.

--
[email protected]...