Seat hight

mtbnewbie

Aug 3, 2005
I just found out today how important the correct seat hight is. I have been riding for a few weeks now to get fit. I have monitored my time and distance with my computer and saw that I was averaging about 21 km/h on a 1 hour ride.
I adjusted my seat hight today and rode for 1h 40min at an average speed of 23 km/h and with less effort too.

Next I want to get some pedal clips to see how much that changes things. The main thing I noticed was that I was able to climb hills without having to rise off of the saddle and that eased the strain on the knees.

I think my seat hight still needs a bit of fine tuning but it's pretty close now.

i've been riding for years and still tweak my seat height and cadence a lot...

most recently i broght me seat up about a half inch over the weekend. the main theory was that i was hoping it would encourage me to pedal with my toes pointing downward at a steeper angle, which encourages rounder strokes, which use more muscles and give you more power and less muscle burn on any one group of muscles.

it worked out pretty well. i still have to condition/remind myself to keep my foot angle correct- rather than getting lazy and subsequently flatfooting and rocking my hips in the saddle. but its starting to feel natural. in a week or so i'm sure i'll be there. and a month after that i'll be amazed i ever did it "wrong".

badhat said:
i've been riding for years and still tweak my seat height and cadence a lot...

most recently i broght me seat up about a half inch over the weekend. the main theory was that i was hoping it would encourage me to pedal with my toes pointing downward at a steeper angle, which encourages rounder strokes, which use more muscles and give you more power and less muscle burn on any one group of muscles.

it worked out pretty well. i still have to condition/remind myself to keep my foot angle correct- rather than getting lazy and subsequently flatfooting and rocking my hips in the saddle. but its starting to feel natural. in a week or so i'm sure i'll be there. and a month after that i'll be amazed i ever did it "wrong".
Tell me more about the foot angle. This is something I've never worried about

deest

its just something i heard someone mention and then tried it out and noticed a difference.

i used to keep my feet more or less parallel to the ground (maybe a slight downward angle- toes towards the road) and a friend mentioned that pointing them at a more severe angle does a couple of things that are good for your stroke... it engages a wider variety of muscles, and the motion that the position lends itself to is more conduscive to a full, round pedal stroke. you dont get the dead spots in your stroke that one tends to get at like just past the top and bottom of ths stroke, since your foot is in a position where you are almost using it as sort of a paddle, scooping backwards with the pedal.

my experience has been that when i do remember to point my toes i get noticeably more power out of my stroke, but that it also strains some muscles that i dont ordinarily use (mainly calves) and so its taking some getting used to. but its already becoming pretty second nature.

no idea if theres any conventional wisdom on this position, but its working for me to the tune of 1 or 2 mph improvement on my 30 mile training ride.

badhat said:
its just something i heard someone mention and then tried it out and noticed a difference.

i used to keep my feet more or less parallel to the ground (maybe a slight downward angle- toes towards the road) and a friend mentioned that pointing them at a more severe angle does a couple of things that are good for your stroke... it engages a wider variety of muscles, and the motion that the position lends itself to is more conduscive to a full, round pedal stroke. you dont get the dead spots in your stroke that one tends to get at like just past the top and bottom of ths stroke, since your foot is in a position where you are almost using it as sort of a paddle, scooping backwards with the pedal.

my experience has been that when i do remember to point my toes i get noticeably more power out of my stroke, but that it also strains some muscles that i dont ordinarily use (mainly calves) and so its taking some getting used to. but its already becoming pretty second nature.

no idea if theres any conventional wisdom on this position, but its working for me to the tune of 1 or 2 mph improvement on my 30 mile training ride.
Cool. thanks I'll give it a try. I assume the theory holds for both mtb and road? I've always worried that there is acres of dead space in my pedal stroke

D

badhat said:

Sorry, but that is the biggest pile of horseshit I've ever heard. If the saddle is so high up that you have to point your toes down to prevent your hips rocking, it is too high and you can cause permanent damage to the knee joint. If you want to increase your overall speed, train harder and better, eat better and go out on calmer days.

Bill.

Well ... pics of your pedal stroke would help.

Not too stretched and not to compressed ... but 3 good inches before full knee extension is where I am at. THEN i point my toes down and CYCLE.

I am learning the upstroke by pedaling for a short distance with one leg at a time. The way that is working best for me is using the "toe push" in the middle of the downpush. It is very subtle, it feels easier than flat pushing, but I cannot have a definite result till I get one of those WATT measurement tools.

Not too stretched, not too short ... but everybody is different. I see guys riding very happily with a shorter seat height,

shannons dad said:
Sorry, but that is the biggest pile of horseshit I've ever heard. If the saddle is so high up that you have to point your toes down to prevent your hips rocking, it is too high and you can cause permanent damage to the knee joint. If you want to increase your overall speed, train harder and better, eat better and go out on calmer days.

Bill.
i';ve noticed you're a bit of a jackass

i've also noticed that i've probably been riding every bit as long and every bit as often (likely considerably more often) that you.

so i'm glad you're comfortable and confident in your system, but shove it up your ass, before you presume to call me out like i'm some newbie.

OM MY GOD I SHOULD TRAIN HARDER AND EAT BETTER!!!! THANKS BILL I"D HAVE NEVER THOUGHT OF THAT:rolleyes:

badhat said:
i';ve noticed you're a bit of a jackass

i've also noticed that i've probably been riding every bit as long and every bit as often (likely considerably more often) that you.

so i'm glad you're comfortable and confident in your system, but shove it up your ass, before you presume to call me out like i'm some newbie.
So anyone who disagrees with your position is a jackass? Unfortunately a significant volume of medical literature disagrees with your opinion on this one. While individuals exhibit varying degrees of sensitivity to differences in saddle height, overextension of the knees while pedaling is capable of causing serious tendon and cartilage damage. Brag all you want about about how much time you spend on your bike, but unless you have some real credentials to back up your position, keep the name calling to yourself.

not anyone who disagrees, anyone who calls it the biggest pile of horseshit hes ever seen

you do see the difference, dont you?

badhat said:
not anyone who disagrees, anyone who calls it the biggest pile of horseshit hes ever seen

I see the difference between attacking an opinion and attacking a person.

artmichalek said:
I see the difference between attacking an opinion and attacking a person.
i call it presumptuous, combative and lacking an basic respect.

thanks for your help, ref.

badhat said:

OK, I admit, my response was a little on the rude side. Sorry. But I wasn't wrong about the 'saddle height thing.' I'm currently having an argument with a muppet on the 'cycle tech' forum, so I was a little wired. No excuse though. Sorry.
Although, I did not call 'you' personally, anything.

Bill.:eek:

artmichalek said:
So anyone who disagrees with your position is a jackass? Unfortunately a significant volume of medical literature disagrees with your opinion on this one. While individuals exhibit varying degrees of sensitivity to differences in saddle height, overextension of the knees while pedaling is capable of causing serious tendon and cartilage damage. Brag all you want about about how much time you spend on your bike, but unless you have some real credentials to back up your position, keep the name calling to yourself.
seriously i appreciate your help, but i dont think i came into this telling anybody i had any credentials. i gave a humble opinion, stated it as such, even going so far as to concede that i didnt know what the conventional wisdom is, and got promptle attacked as spouting horseshit.

i'm gonna stick by calling that a jackass move. i'm sorry if that upsets you, but i dont recall bragging, or insinuating i have "credentials"... i was just responding to having my suggestion rudely attacked. and in response, defended myself as a capable, experienced cyclist.

if i've ruffled any alpha bike dork feathers, i assure you that wasnt my attention.

shannons dad said:
OK, I admit, my response was a little on the rude side. Sorry. But I wasn't wrong about the 'saddle height thing.' I'm currently having an argument with a muppet on the 'cycle tech' forum, so I was a little wired. No excuse though. Sorry.
Although, I did not call 'you' personally, anything.

Bill.:eek:
fair enough, sorry i snapped at you in reply.

i am usualyl an afternoon/evening shift guy and had to be at work at 8 this morning. you got a rare glimpse of 6:00 am badhat

badhat said:
group hug.
Group hug greatly appreciated. If you want to see name calling and arguing on a huge scale, read the 'cycling equipment' forum and look for 'Malfunctioning rear derailleur' and 'Adjusting Shimano Tiagra front' threads. It will no-doubt explain my behaviour before. Probably why I spend most of my time in 'cycling cafe'. The people are far nicer.

Bill.

Glad to see that you two have finally worked through your anger and have made up.:)

My seat hight seems to be working well for me, and I just adjusted my rear brake since it was basically useless, seems to be fine now.
Not fun relying onthe front brake when you are going down a step gravel road, perfect way to get a mouth full off gravel.

Anyway me leg extension is just a bit short of full extension (about 2" higher). I have tried pointing my toes down a bit on the down stroke and it does seem to improve the power on the stroke. I am now able to ride up hills without having to lift off the seat and I can maintain a good pace to.

Need to get better at finding the right gear quicky and concentrating more on my cadence then on my speed.:eek: