seat post between 79 and 80mm circumference?

Ggia

Guest
My old Univega folder ("Made in Italy") needs a seat post with a circumference of 79mm (diameter
25.15mm ). A post with a circumference of 80mm (diameter 25.47mm) is too tight. I would appreciated
any thoughts on what to ask for and where to look to find a fairly long one, 335 to 345mm.

One inch = 25.4 mm. Would that work?

"ggia" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> My old Univega folder ("Made in Italy") needs a seat post with a circumference of 79mm
> (diameter 25.15mm ). A post with a circumference of 80mm (diameter 25.47mm) is too tight. I
> would appreciated any thoughts on what to ask for and where to look to find a fairly long one,
> 335 to 345mm.

> Newsgroup Service in the World! -----== Over 80,000 Newsgroups - 16 Different Servers! =-----

"ggia" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> My old Univega folder ("Made in Italy") needs a seat post with a circumference of 79mm
> (diameter 25.15mm ). A post with a circumference of 80mm (diameter 25.47mm) is too tight. I
> would appreciated any thoughts on what to ask for and where to look to find a fairly long one,
> 335 to 345mm.

> Newsgroup Service in the World! -----== Over 80,000 Newsgroups - 16 Different Servers! =-----

One example at Lickton's at URL: http://www.lickbike.com/i0859100.htm 0859-52 350mm 25.2mm
Black $14.95

I am sure they are available elsewhere and by other manufacturers. The normal specification is the
diameter and is often marked on the lower portion of the seatpost.

David Ornee, Western Springs, IL (a satisfied Lickton's customer, but no other relationship
with them)

It's possible but mine and most I've seen use 25.4.

Take a peek at the slot behind the seat tube . Is it parallel all the way? When a smaller post has
been installed or a seatbolt overtorqued until the post deforms, the top of the slot will be closer
than the bottom as the seat tube crushed.

Remove the binder bolt completely and any collar it may have. Insert your post in about an inch and
push straight back. Now the seat tube top is opened up. Try a 25.4 .. The right size should slip all
the way down with minimal effort. (don't force it) It shouldn't wiggle when it's all the way
in. 25.4 are very available at any LBS in many quality steps.

If it is indeed a 25.2, which is uncommon, you could have a 25.4 turned at a machine shop. There is
plenty of material for this cut.

--
Andrew Muzi http://www.yellowjersey.org Open every day since 1 April 1971 "ggia" <[email protected]>