Sebrango cycling lessons

Yes Eddie, it sounds very impressive.

But...something isn't working, is it? The other posters here say you are banned from posting on other sites - there must be a reason. Read back over some of your posts, and imagine you are somebody else reading them.

I'm telling you your writing style turns people off. It needs modification so it is less offensive. If you believe Kim Sebrango (whoever she is) is not fully qualified, then you can make your point in a less offensive manner. There is absolutely no reason to start a thread such as this that is intended solely to belittle someone.

I work in a high-tech complicated business. Marketing types don't understand the technical details, but they still can do marketing. And let's face it Eddie, cycling isn't all that complicated.

Yojimbo_ said:
I work in a high-tech complicated business. Marketing types don't understand the technical details, but they still can do marketing. And let's face it Eddie, cycling isn't all that complicated.
There is a clear illustration of how little you know.

Cycling is probably the most complex sport in the world. Administering it and managing it are as well.

For starters it has four completely separate disciplines, Road, Track, MTB and BMX. Within those disciplines are in turn many different categories and many different events.

Organizationally you have federations and associations, individuals, clubs, team, and organizers. You have local, provincial, federal and international issues for each discipline that all differ.

They all have different sponsorship, marketing, media and merchandising problems. You state that "Marketing types don't understand the technical details, but they still can do marketing." How do you market a Flamme Rouge if you have never heard of it and don't know it exists? How do you market a points jersey if you don't realize you can create one. How do you sell distance markers and bib numbers to potential sponsors if you don't know they exist? How do you approach a certain type of business to pitch the sport without any background as to other sponsors in a similar business or with the same product? If you're approaching an ice cream sponsor doesn't it help to know about the Miko-Mercier Team in France that was one of the best for years and years in the '60s and '70s and to know that their Canadian licensee co-sponsored a Canadian team in the 1990s (my team)?

You will next tell me they can learn this stuff on the job. How much more time will be wasted? Why would you hire somebody at the top level of the sport in this country who HAS to learn on the job? Why not get somebody who ALREADY knows what they are doing? The last thing we needed at this point was another amateur, a mediocre one at that with only average results after ten years in a sport with 10 times the participants. Ironically that sport signed its biggest deal two years AFTER she left.

Tell me Jimbo, in the high-tech company you work for, are the top three jobs held by people with little, and in two cases, absolutely no experience in the industry? That's what we have now at the Canadian Cycling Assocation. Three Blind Mice. President Bill Kinash spent years running cycling in Canada's worst cycling province. In that time Saskatchewan held one national calibre road race in 20 years. Chief Operating Officer Steve Lacelle has ZERO cycling experience. ZERO. As does the new Director of Marketing, Kim Sebrango. Zero cycling experience or knowledge.

Are the top three people in your company without relevent experience?

Do you think this is a sound approach to hire rank amateurs to lead the sport in the country?

Do you know what that is?

It is an INSULT to the riders, coaches ,managers, commissaires and everybody else in the sport that have spent years and years learing and working to develop thier skills. It is an INSULT to saddle them with the burden of this poor and inexperienced leadership. It is a sad joke.

The beauty of cycling is its very complexity and long history.

You have highlighted your incomprehension.

Furthermore, you have not answered how you can know anything of my posts or me when you claim not to read them. Yet you have posted a second time within 12 hours commenting on something you say you don't read.

You claim to work in a high-tech complicated business, that's great. I'm impressed for you. Do you know anything about cycling? I listed a few of my accomplishments, give us yours.

My record is impressive, Jimbo (and you know only of the cycling part so far) . What's yours?

My record is irrelevant to this discussion. I have already admitted I know almost nothing about bicycle racing and how the sport is run.

And yes, obviously, to form my opinion of you I must have read some of your posts, but I don't anymore (except for this string because I find your responses predictable and that amuses me).

You are clearly missing my point Eddie. Instead of ranting about my qualifications, step off your high horse and take a good look at yourself. You seem to have a lot to offer, but you also seem to be turning people off - ask yourself why that is, fix it, and then carry on.

Finally, it's true I have posted here within 12 hours. I had trouble sleeping, and logged on to pass the time.

Yojimbo_ said:
My record is irrelevant to this discussion. I have already admitted I know almost nothing about bicycle racing and how the sport is run.

You are clearly missing my point Eddie. Instead of ranting about my qualifications, step off your high horse and take a good look at yourself. You seem to have a lot to offer, but you also seem to be turning people off - ask yourself why that is, fix it, and then carry on.
How will me getting "off my high horse and taking a good look at myself" change in any way Kim Sebrango's lack of cycling experience?

I'm missing YOUR point?

Good grief YOU are missing THE point completely.

We have two people who know almost next to nothing about CYCLING in charge of the Canadian CYCLING Association.

THAT is the point!!!

Whether you or anybody else likes or dislikes what I have to say will NEVER change THEIR lack of experience.

Wake up, Man!

It is time for the professionals in this sport to take it back.

Enough absurdity.

Lesson Three for Kim

Get results out in a TIMELY fashion to ALL national media in a useable format.

This was posted earlier:

Even though it is Saturday morning and the national criterium championships were held yesterday no Official results are posted anywhere yet. The PDF download on www.roadnationals.com
did not work at 9AM Montreal time.

Is everybody on holidays in Kamloops? Nothing like timely results to ensure good media coverage. Many newspapers do not publish on Sunday. You missed Saturday and by Monday they will not run news that is three days old.

Is this Kim Sebrango's idea of good communications? You won't get any sponsors that way, baby.

Good job with getting those results out it to the rest of the country.

Anyway, the first winners of first annual Arzouian Cup are (unofficially) Charles Dionne and Mandy Poitras. Congratulations to our new National Criterium Champions. Their teams were not listed so we cannot know if they rode for their province or their trade team. So I won't mention either. This is another bad omission. You would think Rob Jones of Canandian Cyclist would know better.

Charles Dionne is from Quebec though and maybe somebody here would have like to hear he was Canadian National Criterium Champion.

(Note: the lack of results is probably due to poor scheduling by race organizers in Kamloops, the City of Kamloops and the Canadian Cycling Association. The races started at 5PM Pacific Time. No doubt because it was impossible to close 900 metres of street in busy downtown Kamloops on a Friday afternoon in July. Instead of running the most important race first, the Elite Men, at 5PM Pacific Time, which would have given them time to get those results out in the east where most people live, they ran the Juniors and then Masters (who should not even be racing on this weekend, they should have their own championships). The Elite Men went only at 8:45PM Pacific Time! Great media relations thinking there. If Kamloops is thinking it is raising its national profile by refusing to close 900m of streets at noon, they are wrong. It is a national championship, think nationally. It is pretty simple. Kamloops, the CCA and race organizers blew all national sports coverage by doing that. Amateurs.)

Professionals, take back your sport before they kill it.

* Kim is Kim Sebrango, the new Director of Marketing Operations at the Canadian Cycling Association who has absolutely no cycling experience. she would have had no input in this as she just started. Instead CCA Chief Operating Officer, Steve Lacelle, would have been overseeing this, only he has no cycling experience at all either unless you count the last four months of on the job training. This would have been his first national road cycling championships. Our sport suffers while these newbies learn.

CCA President Bill Kinash held one national calibre road race in Saskatchewan in 20 years, so he would not have been much help.

And there you have your Three Blind Mice of Canadian cycling.Charles

I must apologize, I have been remiss in my mission to educate Kim Sebrango, the Canadian CYCLING Association's new Director of Marketing Operations with ZERO CYCLING EXPERIENCE.

At this rate Kim will continue know nothing about cycling for months.

First, I must say Kim's handling of promoting the CDN national cycling championships, all four disciplines of them, was probably right along the guidelines set by CCA President Bill Kinash. The Nationals went almost completely unreported. They remained a tightly kept secret that hardly anybody outside of the very limited cycling community heard about.

The Canada Cup is proviing an even bigger and more well-kept, irrelevant secret. No doubt a trip to the media captial of Elliot Lake will correct that.

That's Bill Kinash's plan. He wants to do for all of Canada what he did for Saskatchewan: marginalize the sport to the point of irrelevance. He and Kim are well on their way to doing that.

OK, back to our lesson.

Today, a point-to-point race.

A point-to-point race is the most true form of bicycle racing, a real road race. There is only about one of these rare events left in Canada and that would be Quebec-Montreal or Montreal-Quebec depending who is sponsoring in any given year.

Outside of the province of Quebec, I'm not sure a true point-to-point road race still exist in Canada. That will be CCA President Bill Kinash's legacy, almost but not quite completely killing true road racing.

If there are a few more point-to-point road races I'm missing please let me know. I'm sure there must be one or two other small ones some place?

You mean like finding the very best possible sponsors you can for your riders?

You mean paying your riders a decent wage they can live on and not have to be concerned about paying their bills but focus instead on their riding?

You mean surrounding them with the very best personnel possible and catering to all their needs to ensure their success?

You mean travelling to the best events possible and ensuring you have the best possible place for your riders to stay.

You mean promoting your riders and sponsors to the media to make them hoursehold names in some instances?

Been there.

Done that.

You're just too young or ill-informed or uninformed to know.

Can you point out any other point-to-point road races outside of Quebec? I'm still waiting for that.

Think about how sad and pathetic that is.

Thank CCA President Bill Kinash and his employees who know nothing about cycling Steve Lacelle and Kim Sebrango: The Three Blind Mice of Canadian cycling, see how they run things....

So???

Can anybody tell me of one point-to-point road race outside of Quebec in Canada?

No??

How pathetic and sad is that?

Bill Kinash's dream of marginalizing the sport of road cycling beyond the point of no-return in Canada is almost complete. Bill is doing to Canada what he did to Saskatchewan.

And you are watching it happen and doing nothing.

Suckers......

Ahhh, sorry, fella but that hardly qualifies as a UCI/CCA race.

I have never heard of UCI/CCA races with checkpoints and recumbent bikes.

Furthermore part of the race is in the US. I was looking for Canadian evetns.

"2005 Race Itinerary
Note: Times are Yukon Time for all Canadian Locations and Alaska Time for all US locations (5:00 p.m. Yukon time is 4:00 p.m. Alaska time)"

"The race starts at 8:30 for all solo, 2-person, 4-person and tandem teams. The race starts at 9:00 Yukon time for all 8-person teams and recumbents."

"Checkpoint 7 - Leg 8 Riders

All leg 8 riders must leave Checkpoint 7 at 7:00PM Alaska Time at the latest. Leg 8 riders still waiting for leg 7 riders to finish will be started together. The checkpoint will remain open for leg 7 riders to finish."

Sounds like Iditarod without the dogs...

Is that the best you can offer?

Sad.

I have not had a chance to post a cycling lesson for Kim Sebrango the marketing person the CCA hired who knows nothing about cycling. I'm not sure there is much point as she hasn't done anything yet so why bother teaching her anything. I doubt she will be at the CCA long nor accomplish anything.

I suppose those dinners with Lori Ann Meunzer are something even they are about 14 months late. Sort of preaching to the choir, though, don't you think. How will they bring new sponsors to the sport?

The CCA wants its riders and their familes to cover their expenses. That's CCA President Bill Kinash's idea of marketing and growth....run the sport on the back of those in it. Great plan!

Only two months left for him, BTW. Have you contacted your provicial reps and Presidents to see how they plan to vote?

How much do you think Kinash's ineptitude in firing Hutsbaut cost the CCA? I'm betting a lot more than $10,000. Do you think they will ever tell us? Not a chance.

Where is CCA COO Steve Lacelle's quarterly report? He wrote one and gave up??? Impressive. Real stayig power.

Three Blind Mice see how they are ruining CDN cycling.....

Just from reading this thread (which took over an hour. thanks Ed for the overly wordy responses) it looks as though, using Ed's words here, "Kim Sebrango the marketing person the CCA hired who knows nothing about cycling", is doing her Job quite well.

She was able to keep this debate going for well over 2 months without actually doing anything other than taking the job.

I do believe the job of someone in marketing is to get the public talking and passionate about the product. She has done this with absolutely no effort at all.

i hope she takes this forum and attaches it to her resume as proof of a job well done.

:p

Sebrango did next to nothing for Soccer Canda that has 500,000 members. What do you think she will do for cycling, a sport of which she knows NOTHING?

The biggest deal Soccer Canada ever signed came when Sebrango left!

She will fart around cycling put together little mom&pop deals until another opening comes up in Sport Canada and jump to that new sport.

In another of Bill Kinashs failed'legacy the position will have to be refilled in a year or so with NOTHING have been accomplished.

Two more meaningless CCA suppliers Delta Hotels and National Car Rental.

Did they PAY anything for this status? I doubt it since the CCA did not mention a word about it. Instead the offer some token discount that anybody can probably get with a CAA card or certain credit cards. Delta Hotels, like many cyclist will stay in those unless they are comped!

This is probably all we can expect from Sebrango, meanginless suppliers with little or no value added to the sport. It is the same thing she did for Soccer Canada. They needed her to leave before signing their biggest deal about 18 months later. Sounds like she was an impedimant to growth there, not a catalyst. She will probably be an impediment for the CCA too. Let's hope another federation opens up a better job so the career bureaucrat can once again jump ship for another sport she knows nothiing about, like she just left Skate Canada.

Another lesson for Kim Sebrango, Director of Marketing for the Canadian Cycling Association who knows nothing about cycling.

To add some credibility to your press releases why not add some actual figures to them, unless of course, the figures are too embarrassing!

How much of discount will CCA members get on their Delta Hotel reservations? How much will they save on a typical Delta Hotel room that runs about $200 per night?

How much of discount will National Car Rentals give CCA members?

Did those companies provide and promotional fee to the CCA for this title? Pretty unlikly,huh....

Just another of those hot air balloons. Smoke and mirrors. How long do you think you can keep up the charade?

It is December. Any new sponsors for the big Canada Cup Series? Looking at the 2006 calendar there is not one new event to added to it. No surprise there. Where is that big Hamilton road event we have been waiting for since 2004? Three seasons after the $15 million Road Worlds and still no big event (as had been promised) in the hell hole that is Hamilton.

Kim,

I don't have much time these days to give you more lessons. You're on your own. Maybe you coud ask your new co worker, Flo. She seems to know more about the sport than both you and Steve Lacelle combined but she did make a slight mistake out of the gates about Pierre Harvey. She must have run into Pierre up at Mont Ste-Anne with Gestev.

Too bad Flo doesn't know road racing because is she still thinks MTB is the answer were still ****ed.

Kim, two quick questions, one if Tim Hortons renews their pitiful sponsorship of the CCA will you disclose the amount, in accordance with Steve The Seat's ideas of transparency. Two, if TH does not renew will you tell us at all?

Oh, here's a third question, how are those Canada Cup sponsors coming. Will there still be an insulting $5000 overall total?

How much?????

Why doesn't the CCA say how much Tim Horton's is giving in sponsorship? Are they ashamed? Did they sell out the sport for another paltry $100,000 when it should be about $800,000.

Who will sponsors the Canada Cup series this season? Is there another series?

Why hasn't Kim Sebrango brought in one new, real sponsorship in almost a year? She's making at least $50,000 to do what exactly?

CCA Renews Sponsorship With Tim Hortons
provided by CCA March 10, 2006 (Ottawa, ON) – The Canadian Cycling Association (CCA) and Tim Hortons are pleased to announce a three-year contract renewal that recognizes Tim Hortons as an Official Gold-level Sponsor of the CCA’s National Cycling Teams and as the Official Title Sponsor of the CCA’s National Championship Events in the four Olympic disciplines of Road, Mountain Bike Cross Country, Track and BMX.

“The continuation of this relationship with Tim Hortons is a key pillar in our marketing strategy,” says Kim Sebrango, Director of Marketing Operations. “Tim Hortons is a Canadian icon and Canadian Cycling is committed to partnering world-class athletes with world-class brands.” Tim Hortons first teamed up with the CCA a decade ago and remains the exclusive Quick Service Restaurant Supplier of the Canadian Cycling Association.

About Tim Hortons
Tim Hortons is Canada’s largest coffee and baked goods chain with over 2,500 locations in Canada and more than 290 locations in the United States. For more information about Tim Hortons, please visit www.timhortons.com.