Seven news tonight (Melbourne)

eddiec

New Member
Feb 16, 2004
Just flicked on the tv in the office to hear the promo:

"Road rage, cyclists running red lights, police speed cameras..."

hmm... another news report from their so-called survey results...

Will watch with bemusement to see if it's anything other than the same old same old - "All cyclists run red lights, scare pedestrians, hold cars up and molest kittens...."

Eddie(putting on flackjacket and smiley face for tomorrow's commute)c

eddiec said:
Just flicked on the tv in the office to hear the promo:

"Road rage, cyclists running red lights, police speed cameras..."

hmm... another news report from their so-called survey results...

Will watch with bemusement to see if it's anything other than the same old same old - "All cyclists run red lights, scare pedestrians, hold cars up and molest kittens...."

Eddie(putting on flackjacket and smiley face for tomorrow's commute)c

Same ****, different shovel. *Stifles yawn*

That kitten stuff is plain wrong, everyone knows cyclists get more action.
http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=kitten+killer

......those kittens had it coming..............

I won't be watching it, it might give me ideas.

Marx SS said:
......those kittens had it coming..............

I won't be watching it, it might give me ideas.

Ah, come on Marx. There's someone (or something) out there for everyone. Those sweet little kittys don't need to die. :D

eddiec wrote:

> Just flicked on the tv in the office to hear the promo:
>
> "Road rage, cyclists running red lights, police speed cameras..."
>
> hmm... another news report from their so-called survey results...
>
> Will watch with bemusement to see if it's anything other than the same
> old same old - "All cyclists run red lights, scare pedestrians, hold
> cars up and molest kittens...."
>
> Eddie(putting on flackjacket and smiley face for tomorrow's commute)c
>
> --
> eddiec

They never bring up the really horrible stuff we do though, like...

.... sing at traffic lights
.... fart in the face of the cyclist behind us (Lotte deserves it)
.... squirt water at weirdos holding signs up at us
.... jet golly/rocket snot or just wiping it on your gloves and all over
your face
.... wear lycra in public
.... fall over at traffic lights (TimC, Abby) providing amusement for
spectators

Tam

For what it's worth....

Contact Ch 7:
http://seven.com.au/seven/contactus_040201_main

Formal Complaints:
http://seven.com.au/seven/contactus_040201_formalcomplaints

Complaint Form:
http://seven.com.au/catalogueFiles/seven/media/seven_complaint_form.pdf

ABA Content regulation, Radio & television:
http://www.aba.gov.au/contentreg/complaints/radio_TV.shtml

Extract from: 'What complaints does the ABA not handle?'

Defamation: Seek own legal advice (yeah, thanks)

Or we all maybe pleasantly surprised that the news story might more positive than the usual rot. Doubt it though.

Tamyka Bell wrote:

> They never bring up the really horrible stuff we do though, like...
> ... jet golly/rocket snot or just wiping it on your gloves and all over
> your face

Which reminds me of a gross story from last week. Cycling home for the
first time since having a cold and decided there was a strong need for a
snot rocket. Checked there were no cyclists behind me and let rip over
the shoulder. Surprisingly I didn't see much snot flying. Turned back to
keep riding and about 10 metres later realise there is an enormous snot
hanging down from nose. I was on the MTB and this thing reached the
below the handlebars. Quickly grabbed it and flung it off before anyone
noticed.

DaveB

DaveB wrote:

> Tamyka Bell wrote:
>

> > They never bring up the really horrible stuff we do though, like...
> > ... jet golly/rocket snot or just wiping it on your gloves and all over
> > your face

> Which reminds me of a gross story from last week. Cycling home for the
> first time since having a cold and decided there was a strong need for a
> snot rocket. Checked there were no cyclists behind me and let rip over
> the shoulder. Surprisingly I didn't see much snot flying. Turned back to
> keep riding and about 10 metres later realise there is an enormous snot
> hanging down from nose. I was on the MTB and this thing reached the
> below the handlebars. Quickly grabbed it and flung it off before anyone
> noticed.
>
> DaveB

See, I just don't understand how cyclists manage to pick up.

Tam

DaveB said:
Which reminds me of a gross story from last week. Cycling home for the
first time since having a cold and decided there was a strong need for a
snot rocket. Checked there were no cyclists behind me and let rip over
the shoulder. Surprisingly I didn't see much snot flying. Turned back to
keep riding and about 10 metres later realise there is an enormous snot
hanging down from nose. I was on the MTB and this thing reached the
below the handlebars. Quickly grabbed it and flung it off before anyone
noticed.

DaveB
Thanks for that. You've made my afternoon. Time for me to go home and lie down.

At least you didn't mention its colour.

sinus said:
Thanks for that. You've made my afternoon. Time for me to go home and lie down.

At least you didn't mention its colour.

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!

On 2005-07-28, sinus (aka Bruce)

> DaveB Wrote:
>> Which reminds me of a gross story from last week. Cycling home for the
>> first time since having a cold and decided there was a strong need for

I could have sworn I was just about to post this story.

>> snot rocket. Checked there were no cyclists behind me and let rip over
>> the shoulder.

Does anyone else try to aim for the parked tossermobiles?

>> Surprisingly I didn't see much snot flying. Turned back
>> keep riding and about 10 metres later realise there is an enormous snot
>> hanging down from nose. I was on the MTB and this thing reached the
>> below the handlebars. Quickly grabbed it and flung it off before anyone
>> noticed.

> Thanks for that. You've made my afternoon. Time for me to go home and
> lie down.
>
> At least you didn't mention its colour.

I find it amusing that your name is sinus.

It sure sucks when the gollies get on your glasses.

--
TimC
-o)

"eddiec" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Just flicked on the tv in the office to hear the promo:
>
> "Road rage, cyclists running red lights, police speed cameras..."
>
> hmm... another news report from their so-called survey results...
>
> Will watch with bemusement to see if it's anything other than the same
> old same old - "All cyclists run red lights, scare pedestrians, hold
> cars up and molest kittens...."
>
> Eddie(putting on flackjacket and smiley face for tomorrow's commute)c
>

> --
> eddiec

What a F**king joke! Seems the 'majority' of people want bicycle banned
during peak hour.
I can see critical mass rallys every day if something like that ever gets
through.

I suspect the cage drivers are jealous of us beating them to work.

Back to topic, on the "7 listens viewer's survey" it was stated that of the 69% 'polled' wanted cyclists banned from roads during peak hour traffic.

Usual knee-jerk shonkiness or should our respective peak cycling organisations pull finger out their respective orifices and get some decent press releases/media statements/strategies out there in the public eye?

http://seven.com.au/news

eddiec> Just flicked on the tv in the office to hear the promo:

eddiec> "Road rage, cyclists running red lights, police speed
eddiec> cameras..."

eddiec> hmm... another news report from their so-called survey
eddiec> results...

Just watched it, nothing to get really bent out of shape about, about
ten seconds was spent on cyclists:

Footage of typical traffic light shot with on road bike lane, cyclist
taking off before cars. Looked to me like a typical ``get going before
the cars do now the other lights have gone red again.'' Don't understand
that mentality myself but relatively harmless.

Reporter: And with demerit points being considered for cyclists who
break the rules, 40% of you want them banned during peak hour.

Cut to some pollie, Peter Bachelor I think, who basically poo pooed
that idea outright. ``Cycling's environmentally friendly, healthy and in
peak hour quicker!''

A lot more time was spent on road rage, how melbournians are car centric
(I really didn't know 70% of Melbourne commuting was by car, that's
appalling), speeding and public transport issues.
--
Cheers | ~~ __@
Euan | ~~ _-\<,

Euan said:

eddiec> Just flicked on the tv in the office to hear the promo:

eddiec> "Road rage, cyclists running red lights, police speed
eddiec> cameras..."

eddiec> hmm... another news report from their so-called survey
eddiec> results...

Just watched it, nothing to get really bent out of shape about, about
ten seconds was spent on cyclists:

Footage of typical traffic light shot with on road bike lane, cyclist
taking off before cars. Looked to me like a typical ``get going before
the cars do now the other lights have gone red again.'' Don't understand
that mentality myself but relatively harmless.

Reporter: And with demerit points being considered for cyclists who
break the rules, 40% of you want them banned during peak hour.

Cut to some pollie, Peter Bachelor I think, who basically poo pooed
that idea outright. ``Cycling's environmentally friendly, healthy and in
peak hour quicker!''

A lot more time was spent on road rage, how melbournians are car centric
(I really didn't know 70% of Melbourne commuting was by car, that's
appalling), speeding and public transport issues.
--
Cheers | ~~ __@
Euan | ~~ _-\<,
Melbourne, Australia | ~ (*)/ (*)

I wonder if 70% really is bad relatively? Anyone got any figures on other cities? Just curious.

I have to chuckle at the 'ban bikes during peak hour' - It's so clearly a jealousy issue. Peak hour is the one time when bikes don't hold cars up - quite the opposite in fact... which shows the 'general public' (or whatever freaky sub-set of society contributed to that half-arsed survey/marketing gimmick) aren't concerned with safety or speed, but rather self-centred jealousy (hmm... is there any other type?)

Glad Bachelor scoffed at it. Funny story about PB - A friend of mine lived opposite him and on Ride to Work one day saw him out in the driveway cramming the bike into the car boot! :)

cfsmtb> Back to topic, on the "7 listens viewer's survey" it was
cfsmtb> stated that of the 69% 'polled' wanted cyclists banned from
cfsmtb> roads during peak hour traffic.

69? I thought forty, my bad.

The idea was effectively poo pooed by Mr Bachelor though. Cycling is

Euan said:
69? I thought forty, my bad.

The idea was effectively poo pooed by Mr Bachelor though. Cycling is
environmentally friendly, healthy and in peak hour quicker!

Yeah but you might be right. I haven't had tea yet, concentration maybe off due to blood sugar wobbles. If you look at the Seven's site it's obvious that the 'poll' wasn't of high importance due to no of it mention whatsoever.

eddiec said:
I wonder if 70% really is bad relatively? Anyone got any figures on other cities? Just curious.

QUOTE]

I missed the show but have I got this right... the poor blighters sitting in their cars, motor running, hearing about the traffic congestion on the road while they are sitting in it... these people want *more* cars on the road? The exhaust fumes must be really f^cking with their heads...

ali