Seven titanium stem

Sevenrider

Mar 7, 2006
One of my bikes is a Seven Ti frame.They sell a ti stem around $300-$400 dollars.I got an aluminum stem at the time for budget reasons
Does anyone think you would get any bang for the dollar here?
I'm not sure what a Ti stem does for the ride?

Sevenrider said:
One of my bikes is a Seven Ti frame.They sell a ti stem around $300-$400 dollars.I got an aluminum stem at the time for budget reasons
You get absolutely nothing objective for the money. My Moots stem sure looks nice, though.

Sevenrider said:
It does offer some bling...

Bling is it. Weight isn't really a factor as an aluminum stem can be as light as a Ti or Carbon and with your eyes closed you wouldn't feel a difference in ride. But since you probably already have $4000+ in your Seven, what's a few hundred more to go full Ti.

Sevenrider said:
The one person I know who bought a Titanium quill stem for his Merlin several years ago (and, he was actually bragging that he had the money to throw away even though he was presenting it as a lamentation) said that he stopped using the Titanium stem because the stem "went soft" on him ... and, he is a high cadence spinner who does not lean on his bars too much.

Other than the bling factor (that IS worth something) AND lighter wallet, you probably won't be happy with the stem if you are a rider who prefers a stiffer handlebar/stem combination.

Sevenrider said:
Some people spend thousands on art. Buy the stem, if you dont like how it feels hang it on your wall.

Paulie-AU said:
Some people spend thousands on art. Buy the stem, if you dont like how it feels hang it on your wall.
a perfect philosophy for life.

money...you can't take it with you when you go, but you sure as hell can blast over the next hill with it!

alfeng said:
The one person I know who bought a Titanium quill stem for his Merlin several years ago (and, he was actually bragging that he had the money to throw away even though he was presenting it as a lamentation) said that he stopped using the Titanium stem because the stem "went soft" on him ... and, he is a high cadence spinner who does not lean on his bars too much.

Other than the bling factor (that IS worth something) AND lighter wallet, you probably won't be happy with the stem if you are a rider who prefers a stiffer handlebar/stem combination.

Went soft? Exactly how would that happen? I think that person either needed a justification for something new or their brain went "soft."

Went soft. That's hilarious.

alienator said:
Went soft? Exactly how would that happen? I think that person either needed a justification for something new or their brain went "soft."

Went soft. That's hilarious.
Yes, he is absolutely one of those more-money-than-he-knows-what-to-do-with-it types ...

I presume he still has the stem AND I'm sure that if you decide to build up a bike which uses a quill stem that he will sell it to you for less than he paid OR anyone else who thinks that it would make a piece of wall art out of it!

Sevenrider said:
There are things that are worth the serious money you pay for. I've always admired the craftsmanship Seven has placed on their products and the bikes are worth every penny. Although Seven has laid the same craftsmanship on the stem I just dont think it is worth $300-$400 (same opinion for the seatpost). I wouldn't even pay $200 for it coz there are just stems out there that are simply better in terms of looks, performance and even bling.

Also, if you want a stem, I think you'd be better off with a stem manufacturer than a bike manufacturer who sees an opportunity to also make bike components on the side. For stems, stick to ITM, Cinelli, Deda and alike. I have always been suspicious of frame manufacturers who later venture into components - they're simply not experts in that field.