Shimano 10-Speed Ultegra Chain Prone To Spontaneous Disassembly?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Steve Sr., Jan 21, 2006.

  1. Steve Sr.

    Steve Sr. Guest

    Hello,

    I have a relatively new bike with about 1000 miles on it. Today on a
    ride I dropped the chain. When I looked down the chain was nowhere to
    be seen. It was 100 yards back in the middle of the road!

    Initially I thought that the Wipperman Connex link had come undone but
    when I retrieved the pieces and on inspection both side plates had
    come off of a regular link. The pin was left in the link on the other
    other end of the break.

    Does anyone know if this particular chain design is prone to problems
    like this? This is the first time that I can remember having a chain
    break on me.

    The only suspicious thing about this break is that it occurred only
    2-3 links from the end of the chain. Almost like the person who built
    the bike originally cut the chain too short and then went back and
    added these links back in without using Shimano's special replacement
    pins which the shop probably didn't have.

    Thanks,

    Steve

    Tags:

  2. Lou D'Amelio

    Lou D'Amelio Guest

    I suspect that your hypothesis about re-assembly is correct. I had that
    happen to me once with a Campy 10 chain opened and reclosed by LBS
    without the proprietary link. Although I don't own 10 speed Shimano, I
    saw lots of it used on the East Cross cross circuit this year without
    problems. Since it holds up to that kind of abuse (and there aren't
    regular reports of failures on this and other fora), it's likely that
    you have identified your problem.

    Lou

  3. Steve Sr. wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I have a relatively new bike with about 1000 miles on it. Today on a
    > ride I dropped the chain. When I looked down the chain was nowhere to
    > be seen. It was 100 yards back in the middle of the road!
    >
    > Initially I thought that the Wipperman Connex link had come undone but
    > when I retrieved the pieces and on inspection both side plates had
    > come off of a regular link. The pin was left in the link on the other
    > other end of the break.
    >
    > Does anyone know if this particular chain design is prone to problems
    > like this? This is the first time that I can remember having a chain
    > break on me.
    >
    > The only suspicious thing about this break is that it occurred only
    > 2-3 links from the end of the chain. Almost like the person who built
    > the bike originally cut the chain too short and then went back and
    > added these links back in without using Shimano's special replacement
    > pins which the shop probably didn't have.

    If the chain is reconected w/o the 'pin' and/or in the wrong
    direction(read the chain directions), it will come apart. Either use a
    new shimano 10s chain with a wipperman or,other link or use a 10s chain
    from Wipperman, with the link. Or now a 5.9mm Campag chain, but still
    with the link.

  4. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    Steve Sr. wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > I have a relatively new bike with about 1000 miles on it. Today on a
    > ride I dropped the chain. When I looked down the chain was nowhere to
    > be seen. It was 100 yards back in the middle of the road!
    >
    > Initially I thought that the Wipperman Connex link had come undone but
    > when I retrieved the pieces and on inspection both side plates had
    > come off of a regular link. The pin was left in the link on the other
    > other end of the break.
    >
    > Does anyone know if this particular chain design is prone to problems
    > like this? This is the first time that I can remember having a chain
    > break on me.
    >
    > The only suspicious thing about this break is that it occurred only
    > 2-3 links from the end of the chain. Almost like the person who built
    > the bike originally cut the chain too short and then went back and
    > added these links back in without using Shimano's special replacement
    > pins which the shop probably didn't have.

    Yep, sounds like that to me, too.
    I would have a talk with the shop owner or service manager
    before somebody gets hurt/killed. Then after nicely
    informing him/her of the problem, pick up your new free chain.
    --
    Andrew Muzi
    www.yellowjersey.org

  5. Steve Sr.

    Steve Sr. Guest

    On 22 Jan 2006 06:38:43 -0800, "Qui si parla Campagnolo"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Steve Sr. wrote:
    >> Hello,
    >>
    >> I have a relatively new bike with about 1000 miles on it. Today on a
    >> ride I dropped the chain. When I looked down the chain was nowhere to
    >> be seen. It was 100 yards back in the middle of the road!
    >>
    >> Initially I thought that the Wipperman Connex link had come undone but
    >> when I retrieved the pieces and on inspection both side plates had
    >> come off of a regular link. The pin was left in the link on the other
    >> other end of the break.
    >>
    >> Does anyone know if this particular chain design is prone to problems
    >> like this? This is the first time that I can remember having a chain
    >> break on me.
    >>
    >> The only suspicious thing about this break is that it occurred only
    >> 2-3 links from the end of the chain. Almost like the person who built
    >> the bike originally cut the chain too short and then went back and
    >> added these links back in without using Shimano's special replacement
    >> pins which the shop probably didn't have.

    >If the chain is reconected w/o the 'pin' and/or in the wrong
    >direction(read the chain directions), it will come apart. Either use a
    >new shimano 10s chain with a wipperman or,other link or use a 10s chain
    >from Wipperman, with the link. Or now a 5.9mm Campag chain, but still
    >with the link.

    Peter,

    Are you saying that the "chain" is directional or just the Wippermann
    quick link? I know that the Wippermann is directional which is a big
    liability for dislexic riders/mechanics like me! :) Unfortunately
    Sram didn't and still doesn't to my knowledge make a superlink for
    Shimano 10 speed.

    Steve

  6. Steve Sr. wrote:

    > Peter,
    >
    > Are you saying that the "chain" is directional or just the Wippermann
    > quick link? I know that the Wippermann is directional which is a big
    > liability for dislexic riders/mechanics like me! :) Unfortunately
    > Sram didn't and still doesn't to my knowledge make a superlink for
    > Shimano 10 speed.
    >
    > Steve

    The shimano 10s chain links are directional in the sense that on the
    top portion of the chain, the 'pulling' section MUST be the inside
    portion of the link, when fastening together. With the outside trailing
    and the pin should be installed insdie to outside. Never trim the
    outside portion of the chain, just the inside sections.

  7. Paul Kopit

    Paul Kopit Guest

    On Mon, 23 Jan 2006 18:57:44 -0500, Steve Sr. <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    > Unfortunately
    >Sram didn't and still doesn't to my knowledge make a superlink for
    >Shimano 10 speed.

    The 9sp Sram link works fine.