Shimano 105

Awesome that is great news. With internal cable routing you just couldn't see what was happening. Though there are some bikes and setups were the cross over cabling is fine, obviously not this one.

TKOS said:
Awesome that is great news. With internal cable routing you just couldn't see what was happening. Though there are some bikes and setups were the cross over cabling is fine, obviously not this one.

With all the issues I've had, I'm pretty resentful of the bike, so I'm still trying to decide whether I even want it back. I guess the deciding factor will be when I ride it.

I am having a particular distaste for Performance Bike, however. My wife spotted my old bike sitting there on the sales floor with a $1399 sticker on it. They're selling it as a new bike! :eek: It's clearly been used, as there is wear on the tires, and the bike is on the dusty side. I mean, there's no disclosure on the bike that it's used or anything. I'm almost tempted to report them for fraud. It makes me wonder what people buying. I know my bike was new, only because the wrapping was still on it...

Good to finally get this solved. It was a shifting problem due to faulty setup, which indicates to me that the setup is done on all the bikes in China, and that Performance really doesn't do much of any pre-delivery checks, other than airing the tires and putting on the price tags.

Not sure why you'd be "resentful" of the bike now that it's fixed. Nothing here was the fault of "the bike", just the dummies who set it up, and then Performance bike who sold it to you without even giving it a real test ride.

Agree Performance wouldn't be my first choice for buying a bike, but you did save money. Going to a real LBS that sells a major brand, having a real mechanic to set up and check everything, and then giving the bike a good test ride would have prevented the hassles you faced.

Here's the question: how much is Quality Assurance worth to you? Is it worth say $100-200 to have a professional mechanic check all this out for you before delivery, to prevent the disappointments and time/gasoline wasted, or would you rather roll the dice, save the money, and hope it's OK?

I'd keep the bike, now that you've been through all the aggrevation getting it fixed. Hopefully you'll get many enjoyable miles out of it now. But don't be too surprised if you start having wheel problems after the first few thousand miles. Don't know what wheels you've got on your Schwinn, but in my experience lots of the bargain bikes save money by using quickly-built wheelsets that don't hold up very well.

The best quality assurance is to take the bike home, take it apart, and reassemble it right. I like Performance for their selection of replacement parts and gear, but I don't think that I would be ready to buy a complete bike from them. Not only from your experience but from others who have had issues with bikes from there.

GT Fanatic said:
With all the issues I've had, I'm pretty resentful of the bike, so I'm still trying to decide whether I even want it back. I guess the deciding factor will be when I ride it.

I am having a particular distaste for Performance Bike, however. My wife spotted my old bike sitting there on the sales floor with a $1399 sticker on it. They're selling it as a new bike! :eek: It's clearly been used, as there is wear on the tires, and the bike is on the dusty side. I mean, there's no disclosure on the bike that it's used or anything. I'm almost tempted to report them for fraud. It makes me wonder what people buying. I know my bike was new, only because the wrapping was still on it...
How many miles did you ride the first Parmount that you exchanged?

AND, other than dust & tire wear, what is its cosmetic condition which would differentiate it from a DEMO?

I'm just asking.

alfeng said:
How many miles did you ride the first Parmount that you exchanged?

AND, other than dust & tire wear, what is its cosmetic condition which would differentiate it from a DEMO?

I'm just asking.

I probably rode approximately 200-300 miles on it. Aside from dust and wear, it was in stellar condition, save for the cranks, which had "circles" ground into the metal where the pedals were. I touched it up with paint. Apparently, one of the corners of the pedals was gouging into the crank. I guess that's what I get for putting $10 pedals on it...

Well, no longer my problem...

That's a real shame about the 105. I just bought a brand new Bulls Harrier 1 with the 105 groupset. The groupset itself is nice and reliable, only issues I have had is the gear shifting starting to ghost shift ( but just tweaked the derailleur and it all works). I'm a total beginner, but I would recommend sticking with it.

sufiankane said:
That's a real shame about the 105. I just bought a brand new Bulls Harrier 1 with the 105 groupset. The groupset itself is nice and reliable, only issues I have had is the gear shifting starting to ghost shift ( but just tweaked the derailleur and it all works). I'm a total beginner, but I would recommend sticking with it.

Good news is the 105 was NOT the issue. At first, we thought it was just a bad batch of 105, but it turns out that on my bike, the derailleur cables got crossed when the wires were routed. The cables are internally routed. This was causing one cable to pull up on the other, which was not allowing the derailleur to operate correctly. These issues came from the factory where the bikes were partially assembled...

I had this fixed, and all is right with the world. :D

That's a new one. Congrats on finally figuring that out, now get out and ride!

GT Fanatic said:
Good news is the 105 was NOT the issue. At first, we thought it was just a bad batch of 105, but it turns out that on my bike, the derailleur cables got crossed when the wires were routed. The cables are internally routed. This was causing one cable to pull up on the other, which was not allowing the derailleur to operate correctly. These issues came from the factory where the bikes were partially assembled...

I had this fixed, and all is right with the world. :D

that's like the best episode of Punk'd you could dream of...

Originally Posted by GT Fanatic .

Okay, I'm not waiting until the end of the month to have it looked at. I'm giving it until the end of the month for it to be sorted by someone.

I have two Shimano-equipped mountain bikes that run flawlessly.

I got the bicycles at different Performance locations, so I know it's not the same person putting them together.

I absolutely agree that I should be out enjoying the bicycle, and believe me, I'm as frustrated as all Hell. I have a guy from our club looking at it this evening, and he's like Yoda when it comes to bicycles. The guy's been working on them for years, and he definitely knows his ****.

Whatever the case, if things don't work out with this bike, and I'm not confident that they will, I'm probably going to be purchasing a Cannondale Synapse. I rode a Caad9-5 in the past and didn't think too much of the aggressive geometry or the ride quality, but I may give it another sit, just because now I am used to riding in a more aggressive position and on a road bike.

From what I understand, from everyone that I've talked to, there is a break-in period with componentry such as derailleur cables. I'm down with that, and I cna be patient, but how long should I wait?

I have a Cannondale Synapse Alloy with 105 components and when i bought it (a good deal) the only things that made it "shifty" was because of poor installation. Sounds like you just ran into an odd string of similar problems. I personally really like my synapse for its aggressive riding position and forgiving frame. From what i've heard, cables and whatnot generally seat and stretch into their final positions before a last adjustment is necessary in the first 100-300 miles give or take. I'm sure, as SD790 stated that something simple was overlooked.