Shimano cassette on Campy freehub

Rick

Guest
I know of the various Shimangalo fixes, and we have a couple of
ShiftMate equipped bikes to handle conversions. But now there is a
twist; I just inherited a bike and some high end wheels. The rear
wheel has a Campy freehub body, but for compatibility with my wife and
her racing team we are running Shimano cassettes on all our wheels. I
know IRD has cassettes that have Campy spacing that fit on Shimano
freehub bodies, but does anyone have the opposite, i.e., cassettes
with Shimano spacing that fit on Campy hubs?

- rick

"Rick" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>I know of the various Shimangalo fixes, and we have a couple of
> ShiftMate equipped bikes to handle conversions. But now there is a
> twist; I just inherited a bike and some high end wheels. The rear
> wheel has a Campy freehub body, but for compatibility with my wife and
> her racing team we are running Shimano cassettes on all our wheels. I
> know IRD has cassettes that have Campy spacing that fit on Shimano
> freehub bodies, but does anyone have the opposite, i.e., cassettes
> with Shimano spacing that fit on Campy hubs?

Yes, Campy makes a Shimano compatible freehub body for its hub that uses
Shimano splined:

Record Shimano 8/9:
http://aebike.com/page.cfm?PageID=30&action=details&sku=FW9840

Shimano 10:
http://aebike.com/page.cfm?PageID=30&action=details&sku=FW9846

You should be able to get the freehub bodies at any LBS that has an account
with QBP.

Wheel Manufacturing make replacement spacers for Campagnolo cassettes that
respace them to Shimano spacing. I have a set of these spacers that convert
9s Campagnolo cassette to 9s Shimano spacing, and the Campagnolo wheel with
respaced cassette shifts perfectly on a 9-speed Dura-Ace-equipped bike. You
do need to have a cassette that is all loose cogs though, so that the
original spacers can be replaced.

Nick

On Mar 18, 3:18 pm, "Nick Payne" <[email protected]> wrote:
> Wheel Manufacturing make replacement spacers for Campagnolo cassettes that
> respace them to Shimano spacing. I have a set of these spacers that convert
> 9s Campagnolo cassette to 9s Shimano spacing, and the Campagnolo wheel with
> respaced cassette shifts perfectly on a 9-speed Dura-Ace-equipped bike. You
> do need to have a cassette that is all loose cogs though, so that the
> original spacers can be replaced.
>
> Nick
>
> "Rick" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> news:[email protected]...
>
> >I know of the various Shimangalo fixes, and we have a couple of
> > ShiftMate equipped bikes to handle conversions. But now there is a
> > twist; I just inherited a bike and some high end wheels. The rear
> > wheel has a Campy freehub body, but for compatibility with my wife and
> > her racing team we are running Shimano cassettes on all our wheels. I
> > know IRD has cassettes that have Campy spacing that fit on Shimano
> > freehub bodies, but does anyone have the opposite, i.e., cassettes
> > with Shimano spacing that fit on Campy hubs?

Thanks for the comments. Wheels Manufacturing has kits for respacing
Campy 10 on Shimano freehubs, but not the converse. Sigh!

- rick

On Mar 18, 3:03 pm, "bfd" <[email protected]> wrote:
> "Rick" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>
> news:[email protected]...>I know of the various Shimangalo fixes, and we have a couple of
> > ShiftMate equipped bikes to handle conversions. But now there is a
> > twist; I just inherited a bike and some high end wheels. The rear
> > wheel has a Campy freehub body, but for compatibility with my wife and
> > her racing team we are running Shimano cassettes on all our wheels. I
> > know IRD has cassettes that have Campy spacing that fit on Shimano
> > freehub bodies, but does anyone have the opposite, i.e., cassettes
> > with Shimano spacing that fit on Campy hubs?

> Yes, Campy makes a Shimano compatible freehub body for its hub that uses
> Shimano splined:
>
> Record Shimano 8/9:http://aebike.com/page.cfm?PageID=30&action=details&sku=FW9840
>
> Shimano 10:http://aebike.com/page.cfm?PageID=30&action=details&sku=FW9846
>
> You should be able to get the freehub bodies at any LBS that has an account
> with QBP.

Thanks for the comment. I know about this, the twist is that the hub
in question is not a Campy product, it is made for a third party by
Hugi with a Campy compatible freehub. I just got word from the wheel
manufacturer that I can send it back to the factory for a rebuild ($$)
with a Shimano freehub body. I was hoping there would be a faster,
one shot way like the IRC cassette.

- rick

Rick wrote:
> On Mar 18, 3:03 pm, "bfd" <[email protected]> wrote:
>> "Rick" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>
>> news:[email protected]...>I know of the various Shimangalo fixes, and we have a couple of
>>> ShiftMate equipped bikes to handle conversions. But now there is a
>>> twist; I just inherited a bike and some high end wheels. The rear
>>> wheel has a Campy freehub body, but for compatibility with my wife and
>>> her racing team we are running Shimano cassettes on all our wheels. I
>>> know IRD has cassettes that have Campy spacing that fit on Shimano
>>> freehub bodies, but does anyone have the opposite, i.e., cassettes
>>> with Shimano spacing that fit on Campy hubs?

>> Yes, Campy makes a Shimano compatible freehub body for its hub that uses
>> Shimano splined:
>>
>> Record Shimano 8/9:http://aebike.com/page.cfm?PageID=30&action=details&sku=FW9840
>>
>> Shimano 10:http://aebike.com/page.cfm?PageID=30&action=details&sku=FW9846
>>
>> You should be able to get the freehub bodies at any LBS that has an account
>> with QBP.

> Thanks for the comment. I know about this, the twist is that the hub
> in question is not a Campy product, it is made for a third party by
> Hugi with a Campy compatible freehub.

if you'd have stated that up front, you wouldn't have wasted bfd's time
in doing those searches for you.

> I just got word from the wheel
> manufacturer that I can send it back to the factory for a rebuild ($$)
> with a Shimano freehub body. I was hoping there would be a faster,
> one shot way like the IRC cassette.

there is - run a campy 9 cassette. veloce is cheap. works just fine.

Rick wrote:
> I know of the various Shimangalo fixes, and we have a couple of
> ShiftMate equipped bikes to handle conversions. But now there is a
> twist; I just inherited a bike and some high end wheels. The rear
> wheel has a Campy freehub body, but for compatibility with my wife and
> her racing team we are running Shimano cassettes on all our wheels. I
> know IRD has cassettes that have Campy spacing that fit on Shimano
> freehub bodies, but does anyone have the opposite, i.e., cassettes
> with Shimano spacing that fit on Campy hubs?

If your systems are Shimano nine, just use a Campagnolo Nine cassette.
The differences are negligible.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

On Mar 18, 2:14 pm, "Rick" <[email protected]> wrote:
> I know of the various Shimangalo fixes, and we have a couple of
> ShiftMate equipped bikes to handle conversions. But now there is a
> twist; I just inherited a bike and some high end wheels. The rear
> wheel has a Campy freehub body, but for compatibility with my wife and
> her racing team we are running Shimano cassettes on all our wheels. I
> know IRD has cassettes that have Campy spacing that fit on Shimano
> freehub bodies, but does anyone have the opposite, i.e., cassettes
> with Shimano spacing that fit on Campy hubs?
>
> - rick

Which high end wheel? Campagnolo? If so, Campagnolo makes a 'brand S'
freehub body that bolts right on.

If it isn't a Campag wheel, probably can get a shimano freehub body.

Rick wrote:
> Thanks for the comments. Wheels Manufacturing has kits for respacing
> Campy 10 on Shimano freehubs, but not the converse. Sigh!

American Classic has cassette series for that.

Before changing anything, ride with the Ten you have. Princesses and
peas notwithstanding, tens are so similarly spaced as to present few to
no problems across brands.