Shimano Disc Replacement

UncleFred

Oct 4, 2005
So the continuing saga of my "last bike off the trek production line at 5pm on a Friday".

Honestly this thing has spent more time in the shop than on the road.

Anyway. My rear disc has sufferred heat damage and now flexes badly. So I need to replace it. Trouble is it's riveted to the hub. My LBS don't really have an idea what to do and haven't done this job before so they are reluctant to have a go.

Has anybody on here done the job or do you know even if the discs are replaceable.

Is it a case of drilling out the old rivets and then replacing?
Do the new rivets come with the discs?
Does anybody want to by a TreK Fuel 80?

Are you sure they are rivets? All the ones I have ever seen use torx head screws. If they really are I would find a new set of wheels that take bolt on discs so this isn't a problem in the future.

Ray Dockrey said:
Are you sure they are rivets? All the ones I have ever seen use torx head screws. If they really are I would find a new set of wheels that take bolt on discs so this isn't a problem in the future.
Definetly rivets, LBS wants to drill them out but I'm not sure that's a good idea,

As for new wheels, if I'm going to do that, then I'm junking the rear disk altogether and getting me some V brakes...

Ray Dockrey said:
Here is the adapter. You may be able to find it cheaper but this gives you a reference.

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/14156-220_DTSCA5-3-Parts-158-Brakes/Disc/DT-Swiss-Center-Lock-(IST)-Adapter.htm

Here is the tool to remove the disc lockring. It is the same tool you use to remove a Shimano cassette.

http://www.pricepoint.com/detail/13030-325_PARF54-2-Accessories-42-Tools/Park-FR-5G-Cassette-Remover-w_-Guide-Pin.htm
Ray,

Thanks for that,that's exactly what I have. I'll be ordering those today. I'd been looking at the jenson site but was looking for the wrong thing..

UF.

UncleFred said:
Ray,

Thanks for that,that's exactly what I have. I'll be ordering those today. I'd been looking at the jenson site but was looking for the wrong thing..

UF.
I would also look for a different LBS if your current one doesnt know what Center Locks are.