Shimano parts question...

Douglas Hall

Guest
I've just got a few questions, about mountain bike Shimano parts.
Hopefully some gurus will be able to educate me.

Are V brakes and levers incompatible with slightly previous brake
levers? ie from around '95, hooked up to low-profile cantis. I
understand there's mainly a difference in cable pull between
low-profile cantis and V brakes - but is it enough to mean that the
levers aren't interchangable between the two types of brakes?

Also, is there much difference in the quality and durability of hubs
from around the '95 / '96 era - specifically is there much difference
in STX or STX / RC and say Deore LX from around that time?

Thanks for any info.

Douglas Hall said:
I've just got a few questions, about mountain bike Shimano parts.
Hopefully some gurus will be able to educate me.

Are V brakes and levers incompatible with slightly previous brake
levers? ie from around '95, hooked up to low-profile cantis. I
understand there's mainly a difference in cable pull between
low-profile cantis and V brakes - but is it enough to mean that the
levers aren't interchangable between the two types of brakes?

Also, is there much difference in the quality and durability of hubs
from around the '95 / '96 era - specifically is there much difference
in STX or STX / RC and say Deore LX from around that time?
Thanks for any info.
Leverage difference is dangerously different; you can't use Canti levers with V brakes. When you see the cable pull difference you wiil understand.
I can't answer the STX vs Deore LX hub differences(no STX actual usage, but lots of LX actual usage), but suspect LX would be more durable and it cerainly is higher quality.

Douglas Hall wrote:

> Are V brakes and levers incompatible with slightly previous brake
> levers? ie from around '95, hooked up to low-profile cantis. I
> understand there's mainly a difference in cable pull between
> low-profile cantis and V brakes - but is it enough to mean that the
> levers aren't interchangable between the two types of brakes?

Brake levers for v-brakes will work with cantilever brakes, but you
will find that one must squeeze much harder to get comparable braking
power than if one used appropriate cantilevel brake levers. I
experimented with several types of levers with cantilever brakes and
noticed that v-brake levers did not offer enough leverage compared to
cantileverl brake levers. One a bike work stand the v-brake levers felt
fine with cantilever brakes, but in road use they were simply less
powerful (it was difficult for me to lock the front wheel with v-brake
levers). If you have a very strong hand, v-brake levers will be ok with
cantilever brakes.

> Also, is there much difference in the quality and durability of hubs
> from around the '95 / '96 era - specifically is there much difference
> in STX or STX / RC and say Deore LX from around that time?

I have 4 or 5 MTB wheelsets from the early and mid-1990s with STX, LX,
and lower lever hubs (and cheap to mid-level rims). I weight 230
pounds, and so far all wheelsets are still running fine on my bikes.

Douglas Hall wrote:
> I've just got a few questions, about mountain bike Shimano parts.
> Hopefully some gurus will be able to educate me.
>
> Are V brakes and levers incompatible with slightly previous brake
> levers? ie from around '95, hooked up to low-profile cantis. I
> understand there's mainly a difference in cable pull between
> low-profile cantis and V brakes - but is it enough to mean that the
> levers aren't interchangable between the two types of brakes?

Depends on who you ask. I say try it out - it works fine for some
people, especially if you brake with one finger (as opposed to your
entire hand). You'll find that your wheels need to be straight and
that you need to adjust your brakes more often.

> Also, is there much difference in the quality and durability of hubs
> from around the '95 / '96 era - specifically is there much difference
> in STX or STX / RC and say Deore LX from around that time?

Those are all good hubs that will probably outlast your bike if filled
with grease and properly adjusted.

-Vee

Vee wrote:
> Douglas Hall wrote:
> > I've just got a few questions, about mountain bike Shimano parts.
> > Hopefully some gurus will be able to educate me.
> >
> > Are V brakes and levers incompatible with slightly previous brake
> > levers? ie from around '95, hooked up to low-profile cantis. I
> > understand there's mainly a difference in cable pull between
> > low-profile cantis and V brakes - but is it enough to mean that the
> > levers aren't interchangable between the two types of brakes?

> Depends on who you ask. I say try it out - it works fine for some
> people, especially if you brake with one finger (as opposed to your
> entire hand). You'll find that your wheels need to be straight and
> that you need to adjust your brakes more often.
>
> > Also, is there much difference in the quality and durability of hubs
> > from around the '95 / '96 era - specifically is there much difference
> > in STX or STX / RC and say Deore LX from around that time?

> Those are all good hubs that will probably outlast your bike if filled
> with grease and properly adjusted.

Many thanks to you all for your replies and knowledge.

Just one other question, hopefully before I wear out any patience that
may be left!

Is there much difference in the actual V-brakes themselves, between say
Acera and say Deore or above. I know some of the high-end V-brakes
(XTR, I think) have some sort of parallelogram thing between the arm
and the brake block mounting - presumably to square up meeting the rim.
But I understand that's not always such a great thing when wear creeps
in.

I've got hold of some newer parts for my mtb (Diamondback Apex from
around 95 / 96, custom-butted steel frame, with mainly LX components on
- no suspension, and will almost certainly be used on-road for the
foreseeable), as my LX rear shifter has gone "funny" again. Because I
wanted to replace the shifter, and my existing ones are integrated I've
bought some new shifters (XT), and brake levers (Deore) - which are now
V-brake levers. I also got hold of some other parts cheap, including
V-brakes (Acera). I was just wondering if there's much in it between
these V-brakes and ones from the higher up groupsets?

Also, where does Nexave fit in to the line-up? A front mech that was
part of the parts I got cheap, is Nexave.

Again, many thanks in advance.

Douglas Hall wrote:
> I've got hold of some newer parts for my mtb (Diamondback Apex from
> around 95 / 96, custom-butted steel frame, with mainly LX components on
> - no suspension, and will almost certainly be used on-road for the
> foreseeable), as my LX rear shifter has gone "funny" again. Because I
> wanted to replace the shifter, and my existing ones are integrated I've
> bought some new shifters (XT), and brake levers (Deore) - which are now
> V-brake levers. I also got hold of some other parts cheap, including
> V-brakes (Acera). I was just wondering if there's much in it between
> these V-brakes and ones from the higher up groupsets?

Also, there's a shimano branded, stubby little metal cylinder, in line
with the cable before it goes to the metal tubing / noodle. What's that
for?