Shrove Tuesday

Status
Not open for further replies.
On Tue, 4 Mar 2003 16:32:05 -0000, Colin Blackburn <[email protected]> wrote:

>So, does this mean Guy can do all is posting on Sundays and still give up Usenet for Lent?

Well, only on Refreshment Sunday really.

Guy
===
** WARNING ** This posting may contain traces of irony. http://www.chapmancentral.com (BT ADSL and
dynamic DNS permitting)
NOTE: BT Openworld have now blocked port 25 (without notice), so old mail addresses may no longer
work. Apologies.

"Ambrose Nankivell" <[email protected]> wrote: ) Of course, Lent doesn't start until Pure Monday next
week (AFAI concerned).

Imagine what it's like in a mixed household. We had the annual argument (the sort of argument where
you both eventually find that you are saying the same thing) about how if we both count forty days
one of us makes pancakes on a Tuesday and the other goes to the Bishop's house for pancakes on a
Sunday. (It's just an excuse to make pancakes twice with a clear conscience.)

Of course, if Guy were serious about the freedom to fast for Lent he would be giving up the flying
armchair for a real bicycle.

Simon Hay wrote:
>> Oh, and there are WYSIWYG HTML editors for OS/2, believe it or not...

to which David Damerell responded:
> No, there aren't; no such things exist for any OS.

I suspect proving that will be about as straightforward as proving the existence of God.

--
Danny Colyer (remove safety to reply) ( http://www.juggler.net/danny ) Recumbent cycle page:
http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/recumbents/ "He who dares not offend cannot be honest." -
Thomas Paine

Just zis Guy, you know? <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Tue, 4 Mar 2003 17:16:16 -0000, "Tony W" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Was it something I said??
>
> Obviously :-D
>

Perhaps we should flood urc with a whole load of topics you find irresistable the day before Lent
starts ;-)

Tony

http://www.raven-family.com

"The only way to get rid of temptation is to yield to it"

Oscar Wilde

Danny Colyer <[email protected]> wrote:
> Simon Hay wrote:
>>> Oh, and there are WYSIWYG HTML editors for OS/2, believe it or not...
>
> to which David Damerell responded:
>> No, there aren't; no such things exist for any OS.
>
> I suspect proving that will be about as straightforward as proving the existence of God.

I think he means they are all WYSIWYMG (what you see is what you *might* get) editors ;-)

Tony

--
http://www.raven-family.com

"I don't want any yes-men around me. I want everybody to tell me the truth even if it costs them
their job."

Samuel Goldwyn

"Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Today is Shrove Tuesday.

Today is Ash Wednesday, so I fully expect Guy to be riding around in the rain with a cross on his
forehead daubed with the ashes from the palm fronds from last year's Palm Sunday. He'll probably
look like a panda by now!

--
Simon Mason Anlaby East Yorkshire. 53°44'N 0°26'W http://www.simonmason.karoo.net

"Ambrose Nankivell" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Simon Mason wrote:
> > "Simon Hay" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> >> Simon Mason wrote:
> >
> >>> It will take me that long to get to grips with this ****.. er fantastic OS2 Warp system
> >>
> >> Oi! Mock not OS/2... It's a wonderful operating system :) Incidentally how come you're
> >> using it?
> >
> > It's a joke Simon. Some Herbert thought it would be a good idea to
> > deliberately configure his newsgroup posts so that they appeared to
> > contain an extra file in MS Outlook. When I pointed this out to him
> > (in case he had a virus) he told me in no uncertain terms that it was
> > a deficiency in mine (and >90%) of the world's OS. I then joked that
> > instead of using Windows xp (which I am doing) I would wipe my disk
> > clean of this obviously inferior product and install OS2 Warp instead.
>
> Yes, you want to be using AmigaOS.

I thought of a good analogy last night. It's like he got a brand new Bentley and then declared it
rubbish because the cigar lighter wasn't wide enough for his fat cigars. It's a well known flaw
with Bentleys and they've been doing it for years, so I've got a Lada instead but since the cigar
lighter is wide enough for me, it's a much better car. (OK is not a perfect analogy ;-)
--
Simon Mason Anlaby East Yorkshire. 53°44'N 0°26'W http://www.simonmason.karoo.net

Geraint Jones wrote:
> Imagine what it's like in a mixed household. We had the annual argument (the sort of argument
> where you both eventually find that you are saying the same thing) about how if we both count
> forty days one of us makes pancakes on a Tuesday and the other goes to the Bishop's house for
> pancakes on a Sunday. (It's just an excuse to make pancakes twice with a clear conscience.)

But there's the whole of Cheesefare week to make pancakes in with a clear conscience. Of course, if
I were to be making pancakes all this week, I wouldn't have just spent the last week on holiday in
Normandy, where there's a year round abundance of pancakes.

Enjoy the pancakes at the Bishop's, my girlfriend was there for the Easter party last year and she
enjoyed it muchly. Pancakes at the Priest's sounds like a good tradition to copy; I might well
suggest it.

Ambrose

Simon Mason wrote:
> "Ambrose Nankivell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Simon Mason wrote:
>>> "Simon Hay" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>>>> Simon Mason wrote:
>>>
>>>>> It will take me that long to get to grips with this ****.. er fantastic OS2 Warp system
>>>>
>>>> Oi! Mock not OS/2... It's a wonderful operating system :) Incidentally how come you're
>>>> using it?
>>>
>>> It's a joke Simon. Some Herbert thought it would be a good idea to deliberately configure his
>>> newsgroup posts so that they appeared to contain an extra file in MS Outlook. When I pointed
>>> this out to him (in case he had a virus) he told me in no uncertain terms that it was a
>>> deficiency in mine (and >90%) of the world's OS. I then joked that instead of using Windows xp
>>> (which I am doing) I would wipe my disk clean of this obviously inferior product and install
>>> OS2 Warp instead.
>>
>> Yes, you want to be using AmigaOS.
>
> I thought of a good analogy last night. It's like he got a brand new Bentley and then declared it
> rubbish because the cigar lighter wasn't wide enough for his fat cigars. It's a well known flaw
> with Bentleys and they've been doing it for years, so I've got a Lada instead but since the cigar
> lighter is wide enough for me, it's a much better car. (OK is not a perfect analogy ;-)

I don't really think that you could compare Windows XP to a Bentley. After all, what would Mac OS X
be called in that case?

Also, Linux is hardly equivalent to a Lada. More like a Land Rover (Defender): not especially
comfortable, but it'll hardly ever break down, and, if, for example, a propshaft breaks in the
middle of the Sahara desert you can get out and bolt a new one on.

That said, for my computer & preferred accessories, I've got two choices: Windows with extremely
flakey drivers, so if I leave the machine for half an hour it crashes, or Linux where I've yet to
successfully install the wireless network card, and thus can't get internet access at all.

It isn't that hard to get the hang of another newsreader than MS Internet Mail & News (aka Outlook
Express & very very little to do with Outlook, which is a weird program with two totally different
COM object models depending on which 'mode' it's in*), or simply to ignore it when people take the
****. After all, it does do the job to a reasonable extent, as does Windows, but it's important to
realise that there are alternatives which may suit you better.

I'm still using Outlook Express, because I still haven't worked out a way to make my preferred
newsreader (gnus on emacs) read messages ahead of time so I can disconnect. I'm sure it's not too
hard, though, I just CBA.

Ambrose

*Although it is promised that Outlook can use msimn.exe to read news, I never found a way to
make it work.

begin A fake file just to tease Simon Mason

Danny Colyer <[email protected]> wrote:
>Simon Hay wrote:
>>> Oh, and there are WYSIWYG HTML editors for OS/2, believe it or not...
>to which David Damerell responded:
>> No, there aren't; no such things exist for any OS.
>I suspect proving that will be about as straightforward as proving the existence of God.

Actually it is entirely straightforward. Things look different in different Web browsers (in
particular, the blind user certainly doesn't see the same thing you do), on different OSes, at
different resolutions, with different configurations, different user-supplied style sheets, etc. So
no program can show you how the Web page "will" look.
--
David Damerell <[email protected]> flcl?

David Damerell wrote:

> Actually it is entirely straightforward. Things look different in different Web browsers (in
> particular, the blind user certainly doesn't see the same thing you do), on different OSes, at
> different resolutions, with different configurations, different user-supplied style sheets, etc.
> So no program can show you how the Web page "will" look.

Or: What *you* see is what *you* get, *if* you happen to use your authoring tool as your web
browser[1]. A somewhat limited set of circumstances to be that useful...

Pete.

[1] and even then not necessarily the case, if, for example, you author with visible HTML tags
turned on.
--
Peter Clinch University of Dundee Tel 44 1382 660111 ext. 33637 Medical Physics, Ninewells Hospital
Fax 44 1382 640177 Dundee DD1 9SY Scotland UK net [email protected]
http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

"Ambrose Nankivell" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:b44pab$1sas52$1@ID-
>
> I don't really think that you could compare Windows XP to a Bentley. After all, what would Mac OS
> X be called in that case?
>
> Also, Linux is hardly equivalent to a Lada. More like a Land Rover (Defender): not especially
> comfortable, but it'll hardly ever break down, and, if, for example, a propshaft breaks in the
> middle of the Sahara
desert
> you can get out and bolt a new one on.
>
> That said, for my computer & preferred accessories, I've got two choices: Windows with extremely
> flakey drivers, so if I leave the machine for half
an
> hour it crashes, or Linux where I've yet to successfully install the wireless network card, and
> thus can't get internet access at all.
>
> It isn't that hard to get the hang of another newsreader than MS Internet Mail & News (aka Outlook
> Express & very very little to do with Outlook, which is a weird program with two totally different
> COM object models depending on which 'mode' it's in*), or simply to ignore it when people
take
> the ****. After all, it does do the job to a reasonable extent, as does Windows, but it's
> important to realise that there are alternatives which
may
> suit you better.
>
> I'm still using Outlook Express, because I still haven't worked out a way
to
> make my preferred newsreader (gnus on emacs) read messages ahead of time
so
> I can disconnect. I'm sure it's not too hard, though, I just CBA.
>
> Ambrose
>
> *Although it is promised that Outlook can use msimn.exe to read news, I never found a way to make
> it work.

You've got a virus Ambrose ;-) Yes, I suppose it's what you are used to, but some people are anti
MS just because it's MS.
--
Simon

Simon Mason wrote:
> "Ambrose Nankivell" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:b44pab$1sas52$1@ID-
>>
>> I don't really think that you could compare Windows XP to a Bentley. After all, what would Mac OS
>> X be called in that case?
>>
>> Also, Linux is hardly equivalent to a Lada. More like a Land Rover (Defender): not especially
>> comfortable, but it'll hardly ever break down, and, if, for example, a propshaft breaks in the
>> middle of the Sahara desert you can get out and bolt a new one on.
>>
>> That said, for my computer & preferred accessories, I've got two choices: Windows with extremely
>> flakey drivers, so if I leave the machine for half an hour it crashes, or Linux where I've yet to
>> successfully install the wireless network card, and thus can't get internet access at all.
>>
>> It isn't that hard to get the hang of another newsreader than MS Internet Mail & News (aka
>> Outlook Express & very very little to do with Outlook, which is a weird program with two totally
>> different COM object models depending on which 'mode' it's in*), or simply to ignore it when
>> people take the ****. After all, it does do the job to a reasonable extent, as does Windows, but
>> it's important to realise that there are alternatives which may suit you better.
>>
>> I'm still using Outlook Express, because I still haven't worked out a way to make my preferred
>> newsreader (gnus on emacs) read messages ahead of time so I can disconnect. I'm sure it's not too
>> hard, though, I just CBA.
>>
>> Ambrose
>>
>> *Although it is promised that Outlook can use msimn.exe to read news, I never found a way to make
>> it work.
>
> You've got a virus Ambrose ;-) Yes, I suppose it's what you are used to, but some people are anti
> MS just because it's MS.

It is amazing how easy it is to put that in: just a line starting "begin " does it. Rather sloppy.
I'd be embarassed at having written that piece of code. Unless it's a side effect of some not
apparent whizz-bang parsing method.

"Ambrose Nankivell" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:b44vv7$1qjvel$1@ID-

> It is amazing how easy it is to put that in: just a line starting "begin
"
> does it. Rather sloppy. I'd be embarassed at having written that piece of code. Unless it's a side
> effect of some not apparent whizz-bang parsing method.

Microsoft kb article 265230 describes it. (what is an SMTP email message? I know what SMTP is, and I
know of the various RFCs that describe email, but not what an SMTP email is.) The answer is sort of
'yes, it is a side effect', but it is still sloppiness on their part.

cheers, clive

Peter Clinch <[email protected]> wrote:
>Or: What *you* see is what *you* get, *if* you happen to use your authoring tool as your web
>browser[1].

Your _only_ Web browser that you always use with the same setup, no less.

And, I mean, WYSIWYG doesn't literally mean WYSIW_Y_G - part of the expectation is that other people
viewing the same document get the same result. :)
--
David Damerell <[email protected]> flcl?

Simon Mason wrote:
> "Simon Hay" <[email protected]> wrote in message

>>Oi! Mock not OS/2... It's a wonderful operating system :) Incidentally how come you're using it?
>
> It's a joke Simon. Some Herbert thought it would be a good idea to deliberately configure his
> newsgroup posts so that they appeared to contain an extra file in MS Outlook. When I pointed
> this out to him (in case he had a virus) he told me in no uncertain terms that it was a
> deficiency in mine (and >90%) of the world's OS. I then joked that instead of using Windows xp
> (which I am doing) I would wipe my disk clean of this obviously inferior product and install OS2
> Warp instead.

A truly excellent idea! Works for me, anyway :) Sorry, I obviously missed the earlier thread. In
all seriousness though, I use OS/2 every day and find it does most normal things I want just fine -
just touched a nerve there. Find myself getting far too defensive about it as the number of users
slowly dwindles...

Simon

David Damerell wrote:
> Simon Hay <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>>Oh, and there are WYSIWYG HTML editors for OS/2, believe it or not...
>
>
> No, there aren't; no such things exist for any OS.

Heh. True say ;-)

Simon

David Damerell wrote:
> Actually it is entirely straightforward. Things look different in different Web browsers <snip> So
> no program can show you how the Web page "will" look.

True enough (like when I tested my webpages in IE, then when I downloaded a few more browsers I
found that the colours were different in just about everything else). Tony's WYSIWYMG editor is more
plausible.

--
Danny Colyer (remove safety to reply) ( http://www.juggler.net/danny ) Recumbent cycle page:
http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/recumbents/ "He who dares not offend cannot be honest." -
Thomas Paine

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE----- Hash: SHA1

"Ambrose Nankivell" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Simon Mason wrote:
> > "Ambrose Nankivell" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> >> Simon Mason wrote:
> >>> "Simon Hay" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> >>>> Simon Mason wrote:
> >>>
<snip>
> >
> > I thought of a good analogy last night. It's like he got a brand new Bentley and then
> > declared it rubbish because the cigar lighter wasn't wide enough for his fat cigars. It's a
> > well known flaw with Bentleys and they've been doing it for years, so I've got a Lada instead
> > but since the cigar lighter is wide enough for me, it's a much better car. (OK is not a
> > perfect analogy ;-)
>
> I don't really think that you could compare Windows XP to a Bentley. After all, what would Mac OS
> X be called in that case?
>
> Also, Linux is hardly equivalent to a Lada. More like a Land Rover (Defender): not especially
> comfortable, but it'll hardly ever break down, and, if, for example, a propshaft breaks in the
> middle of the Sahara
desert
> you can get out and bolt a new one on.
>

I would say that Linux is the equivilant of a bicycle -
* You can buy whatever parts you want, not just "authorised" ones
* You can customize it to your own needs
* You can fix it yourself
* You don't need a licence :)

<snip>
> I'm still using Outlook Express, because I still haven't worked out a way
to
> make my preferred newsreader (gnus on emacs) read messages ahead of time
so
> I can disconnect. I'm sure it's not too hard, though, I just CBA.
>
> Ambrose
>
> *Although it is promised that Outlook can use msimn.exe to read news, I never found a way to make
> it work.
>
>

Try "View"->"Go To"->"News" and it launches Outlook Distress (or whatever your default news
reader is)

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE----- Version: PGP 8.0

iQA/AwUBPmZzWoT+w6qfb3OeEQIN9QCfXfyOHNhjQLoNyP1fFvaTZQ3HBAsAnjmw m7hP7qsljpoxbuhEXuF/+vj5 =YL7F
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

[Traditional interleaved quoting: please read to end for all comments]

Simon Mason wrote in uk.rec.cycling: about: Re: Shrove Tuesday

>
> "Simon Hay" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>>
>> Oi! Mock not OS/2... It's a wonderful operating system :) Incidentally how come you're using it?
>
> It's a joke Simon. Some Herbert thought it would be a good idea to

Hmph.. Moi? "Herbert"? How quickly my previous contributions to the newgroup are forgotten.. :-(

> deliberately configure his newsgroup posts so that they appeared to contain an extra file in MS
> Outlook. When I pointed this out to him (in case he had a virus) he told me in no uncertain terms
> that it was a deficiency in mine (and >90%) of the world's OS.

Not the OS, an application: Outbreak.

> I then joked that instead of using Windows xp (which I am doing) I would wipe my disk clean of
> this obviously inferior product and install OS2 Warp instead.

Well, I _would_ advise you ditch Outbreak for something else ;-)

(Ditching Windoze itself may be a little drastic, but then XP does have issues of its own.. (stops
before going into troll mode ;-))

OS-wise, I'm heading in a MacOS X direction as soon as I can afford it :)

--
David Marsh, <reply-to-email is valid at time of writing> | Glasgow, Scotland. [en, fr, (de)] |
http://web.viewport.co.uk/ | begin Learn usenet and netiquette: read news:news.announce.newusers |
>I scorefile posters who don't quote in traditional interspersed style<

Status
Not open for further replies.