Slow Joe Recumbo's great adventure.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

JEGARH

Sep 29, 2003
Hey there Joe,

You are subjecting us to cruel and unusual punishment.

You started a really nice lead up to your PBP adventure and then you left us waiting at the start...and waiting....and waiting....

I thought that maybe you had missed the start because you had some pretty french maid serving you wine and cheese and you plum forgot that you had to be up at Gawd knows when in the morning to ride.

Then I get the Volume six issue # 4 of the AMERICAN RANDONNEUR today and read that you were DNF..

I hope it wasn't anything serious. A moment of sanity perhaps?

Let the other shoe drop. WHA' HOPPEN????

jERRY
:confused:

HI Jerry...

Thanks for the thoughts and your timing is propitious. Had on my to do list this week to write the
final chapter of the PBP Quest. Thought I posted something along these lines yesterday, but
apparantly I messed up.

Reader's Digest Version: I was/am too slow and need to find a way to increase my speed about 10%
for 2007. In France it took me 31 hours to go 280 miles to Loudeac whereas in the states I did
370 miles in
32.5 hours. That 31 hours inclued about 2.5 hours of sleep and NO stopping along the way. When I
left for Brest, after about 25 to 30 miles I stopped, calculated my speed and found it would take
me 100 to 110 hours to finish PBP at my current rate, turned around to Loudeac, turned in my card
and simply cried. Then I biked back 300 miles. All told I did 650 miles in 90 hours with 9 hours
of sleep. When I look back, if I kept going I just might have made in 80 hours, so I'm still
kicking myself.

I'm using this website to chronicle the tale:
http://JoePBP2003.crazyguyonabike.com

Cheers

Slow Joe Recumbo

JEGARH <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Hey there Joe,
>
> You are subjecting us to cruel and unusual punishment.
>
> You started a really nice lead up to your PBP adventure and then you left us waiting at the
> start...and waiting....and waiting....
>
> I thought that maybe you had missed the start because you had some pretty french maid serving
> you wine and cheese and you plum forgot that you had to be up at Gawd knows when in the morning
> to ride.
>
> Then I get the Volume six issue # 4 of the AMERICAN RANDONNEUR today and read that you were DNF..
>
> I hope it wasn't anything serious. A moment of sanity perhaps?
>
> Let the other shoe drop. WHA' HOPPEN????
>
> jERRY :confused:

"Joe Keenan" skrev...

> I'm using this website to chronicle the tale:
> http://JoePBP2003.crazyguyonabike.com

Nice website. Thanks a lot. I'm going to try some brevets this year if the taxidermi...taxpeople
don't skin me. They do hold them in non-PBP years I hope?

Mikael

Brevet information and history can be found at www.rusa.org. On the left hand column you'll see
"Rides" Click on it and you can select various filters to find out when and where brevets,
populaires, etc. are held. Usually a good group of folks and another way to enjoy your recumbent.

Slow Joe

"Mikael Seierup"
> Nice website. Thanks a lot. I'm going to try some brevets this year if the taxidermi...taxpeople
> don't skin me. They do hold them in non-PBP years I hope?
>
> Mikael

I road with Joe this summer and I think he found some French female to photograph and have a glass
of bubbly with and said to hell with the ass busting. LOL how about it Joe

Bill Marsh

--
In the 60's people took acid to make the world weird. Now the world is weird and people take Prozac
to make it normal.

"Joe Keenan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> HI Jerry...
>
> Thanks for the thoughts and your timing is propitious. Had on my to do list this week to write the
> final chapter of the PBP Quest. Thought I posted something along these lines yesterday, but
> apparantly I messed up.
>
> Reader's Digest Version: I was/am too slow and need to find a way to increase my speed about 10%
> for 2007. In France it took me 31 hours to go 280 miles to Loudeac whereas in the states I did 370
> miles in
> 32.5 hours. That 31 hours inclued about 2.5 hours of sleep and NO stopping along the way. When I
> left for Brest, after about 25 to 30 miles I stopped, calculated my speed and found it would
> take me 100 to 110 hours to finish PBP at my current rate, turned around to Loudeac, turned in
> my card and simply cried. Then I biked back 300 miles. All told I did 650 miles in 90 hours
> with 9 hours of sleep. When I look back, if I kept going I just might have made in 80 hours, so
> I'm still kicking myself.
>
> I'm using this website to chronicle the tale:
> http://JoePBP2003.crazyguyonabike.com
>
> Cheers
>
> Slow Joe Recumbo
>
>
> JEGARH <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> > Hey there Joe,
> >
> > You are subjecting us to cruel and unusual punishment.
> >
> > You started a really nice lead up to your PBP adventure and then you left us waiting at the
> > start...and waiting....and waiting....
> >
> > I thought that maybe you had missed the start because you had some pretty french maid serving
> > you wine and cheese and you plum forgot that you had to be up at Gawd knows when in the morning
> > to ride.
> >
> > Then I get the Volume six issue # 4 of the AMERICAN RANDONNEUR today and read that you
> > were DNF..
> >
> > I hope it wasn't anything serious. A moment of sanity perhaps?
> >
> > Let the other shoe drop. WHA' HOPPEN????
> >
> > jERRY :confused:

Joe Keenan wrote:
>
> Brevet information and history can be found at www.rusa.org. On the left hand column you'll see
> "Rides" Click on it and you can select various filters to find out when and where brevets,
> populaires, etc. are held. Usually a good group of folks and another way to enjoy your recumbent.

I think that Mr. Seierup might find this link more useful since he lives in Denmark.
<http://www.audax-club.dk/>

Tom Sherman - Planet Earth

"bill marsh" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> I road with Joe this summer and I think he found some French female to photograph and have a glass
> of bubbly with and said to hell with the ass busting. LOL how about it Joe
>
> Bill Marsh
>
Hi Swampy!!

Now I know what I did wrong!!! I forgot the French female!!! The true test if I can do PBP in 2007
will be when I try Boston-Montreal-Boston in August of 2004. In the meantime, keep the V-Rex moving
along. I see a Strada in my future.

Slow Joe

Tom Sherman <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> Joe Keenan wrote:
> >
> > Brevet information and history can be found at www.rusa.org. On the left hand column you'll see
> > "Rides" Click on it and you can select various filters to find out when and where brevets,
> > populaires, etc. are held. Usually a good group of folks and another way to enjoy your
> > recumbent.
>
> I think that Mr. Seierup might find this link more useful since he lives in Denmark.
> <http://www.audax-club.dk/>
>
> Tom Sherman - Planet Earth

Tom,

What would be "more better" is if I flew over there and did a few brevets in Denmark!!

Slow Joe

"Joe Keenan" skrev

> > I think that Mr. Seierup might find this link more useful since he lives in Denmark.
> > <http://www.audax-club.dk/>
> >
> > Tom Sherman - Planet Earth
>
> Tom,
>
> What would be "more better" is if I flew over there and did a few brevets in Denmark!!

I just wondered if brevets are a yearly occurrence. Since its an international organisation anyone
should be able to answer. I wouldn't recommend brevets here if they stick to the same dates as this
year. Most likely bloody cold. (Although I did in fact ride in shorts and T-shirt in the middle of
April this year. Go global warming!)

Mikael

In a different post "Mikael Seierup" <[email protected]> wrote in message news> I just
wondered if brevets are a yearly occurrence.:

> Since its an international organisation anyone should be able to answer. I wouldn't recommend
> brevets here if they stick to the same dates as this year. Most likely bloody cold. (Although I
> did in fact ride in shorts and T-shirt in the middle of April this year. Go global warming!)
>
> Mikael

Dear Mikael,

In the states under our governing organization RUSA (www.rusa.org) anyone with a passion for brevets
can apply to be a Regional Brevet Administrator. When approved the RBA can then run sanctioned
brevets. For example, in Florida there are 3 individuals running three different brevet series in
2004, while other states have zero.

Here's a good link from the British Columbia Randonneur Club. Looks like they've got a bit of
everything, inluding some international brevets in 2004.

http://www.randonneurs.bc.ca/links/links.html

Now how does this related to recumbents? Simple, you'll be more comfortable on a long distance
endurance ride on a recumbent. :)

Cheers

Slow Joe Recumbo

Joe Keenan wrote:
> ... Now I know what I did wrong!!! I forgot the French female!!!...

If you found a suitable Lycra clad French Female on an upright, I believe your determination to stay
in her draft would be increased. :)

--

"Joe Keenan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> "bill marsh" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > I road with Joe this summer and I think he found some French female to photograph and have a
> > glass of bubbly with and said to hell with the ass busting. LOL how about it Joe
> >
> > Bill Marsh
> >
> Hi Swampy!!
>
> Now I know what I did wrong!!! I forgot the French female!!! The true test if I can do PBP in 2007
> will be when I try Boston-Montreal-Boston in August of 2004. In the meantime, keep the V-Rex
> moving along. I see a Strada in my future.
>
> Slow Joe
Good Morning Joe: I don't plan on anything like Boston-Montreal-Boston next year but I do see an
Aero in the not too distant future. I rode one a week ago and man I cannot believe how good it
feels. It makes an old man young again. Good to hear from you. Where are you now back in winter
riding country{fla) or up north?

Your buddy Swampy

bill marsh wrote:
> ... but I do see an Aero in the not too distant future. I rode one a week ago and man I cannot
> believe how good it feels. It makes an old man young again....

Attention Rich Pinto - Here is your new advertising slogan:

--
In the 60's people took acid to make the world weird. Now the world is weird and people take Prozac
to make it normal.

"Tom Sherman" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>
> bill marsh wrote:
> > ... but I do see an Aero in the not too distant future. I rode one a week ago and man I cannot
> > believe how good it feels. It makes an old man young again....
>
> Attention Rich Pinto - Here is your new advertising slogan:
>

>
> Tom Sherman - Planet Earth
Very good Tom LOL Bill (swampy)

Status
Not open for further replies.