Soloist - heavy frame?

hd reynolds

Nov 15, 2005
Cycling weekly built a bike for the Alpe d'Huez etape around the Cervelo Soloist carbon. Finishing kit is top class Dura-Ace with the exception of an expensive Time ASX compact carbon crankset and wallet busting Lightweight Obermayer tubs. I estimate the bike cost around £6K++.

The funny thing is that it is suppose to be a climbing machine so I was expecting it to weigh below the UCI weight limit of 14.98lbs. The bike's actual weight was 16.4lbs. For perspective and without really trying, I built my 06 TCR composite (w/Record kit, FSA SL carbon crank and Easton Circuit SL clincher rims weigh about the same.

Where is the weight penalty coming from? My guess is on the Cervelo Soloist frameset.

hd reynolds said:
Cycling weekly built a bike for the Alpe d'Huez etape around the Cervelo Soloist carbon. Finishing kit is top class Dura-Ace with the exception of an expensive Time ASX compact carbon crankset and wallet busting Lightweight Obermayer tubs. I estimate the bike cost around £6K++.

The funny thing is that it is suppose to be a climbing machine so I was expecting it to weigh below the UCI weight limit of 14.98lbs. The bike's actual weight was 16.4lbs. For perspective and without really trying, I built my 06 TCR composite (w/Record kit, FSA SL carbon crank and Easton Circuit SL clincher rims weigh about the same.

Where is the weight penalty coming from? My guess is on the Cervelo Soloist frameset.
Probably only Cycling Weekly can answere your question. Maybe they would tell you, if you sent them an e-mail. There is the weight of a Cervelo Soloist & : weightweenies.starbike.com

lks said:
There is the weight of a Cervelo Soloist & : weightweenies.starbike.com
i'm pretty sure that's an alu Soloist, because i remember it appearing early in 2005, before the carbon Soloist came out, and I'd be surprised if the carbon Soloist would be 1425g.

My understanding is that the Carbon Soloist isn't Cervelo's 'feather weight' model, but their stiffer, more aero frame. Their light models are the Soloist Carbon SL (the grey and black one) and the R3.

I would gladly have an extra 200g of frame if it meant having better aerodynamics and greater rigidity

531Aussie said:
i'm pretty sure that's an alu Soloist, because i remember it appearing early in 2005, before the carbon Soloist came out, and I'd be surprised if the carbon Soloist would be 1425g.

My understanding is that the Carbon Soloist isn't Cervelo's 'feather weight' model, but their stiffer, more aero frame. Their light models are the Soloist Carbon SL (the grey and black one) and the R3.

I would gladly have an extra 200g of frame if it meant having better aerodynamics and greater rigidity

CW clearly qualified that it is a carbon Soloist (not an SL though). Although the plan was to build around a Carbon SL frame it wasnt available on time so they had to make do with a Carbon and non-SL model.

Even if the frame fork were 1425g, I was expecting a bit more (or less to put it accurately) with the use of Obermayers and top class kit (not to mention that kickas* time carbon compact crank).

Emaild CW already.

hd reynolds said:

The Cervelo soloist carbon has a pretty light frame for an aero bike at 980 grams for a 56cm. The weight penalty could be coming from the forks, bars, stem, seatpost, saddle, brakes, bottle cages, bolts, etc. etc. All those little things add up to big weight penalties.