Source for Campy CT chainrings?

"jim beam" wrote:
> Tom Sherman wrote:
>> [email protected] aka Jobst Brandt wrote:

>>> I don't know to what car you are comparing the performance here, but
>>> in the days of old, auto magazines used to publish power curves by
>>> which one could compare two engines of the same displacement. For
>>> instance, my 1992 station wagon corners and brakes better than the
>>> sports car I drove a few years back. I believe your endorsement of
>>> the car but it doesn't resolve the problem of what did what. With a
>>> power curve of the engine next to one of a competitor would be best.
>>>

>> I have driven the VTEC (variable valve timing and valve lift
>> electronic control) Honda's back to back with standard engine
>> versions, and at lower RPM operation, the engines behave in a very
>> similar manner. However, the boost in high end power is very
>> noticeable, such as passing in 3rd gear at highway speeds.
>>
>> Unfortunately, the costs of the engines (standard and VTEC) are hard
>> to compare, since getting the VTEC engine means also getting a higher
>> "trim" level.
>>

> i have direct comparison of cam profile effects. two hondas, identical
> motors, one with the stock soh ["low rev"] cam, the other with a soh zc
> ["racing"] cam.
>
> the stock cam is the better at low rpm's and best suited to normal
> driving. by about 5krpm, it's ok, but it's starting to run out of puff.
> with the zc cam otoh, below about 4.5krpm, the thing works ok, but it's
> no great shakes and certainly has a hard time keeping up with the stock
> cam motor. above about 5k however, it really lights up and leaves the
> other motor standing. the difference is dramatic.
>
> your later model motor, with the vtec head, marries these two profiles
> on the same cam and switches between them as required - the benefits of
> the low rev cam and the high rev cam. its a great [relatively low cost]
> solution to an otherwise insoluble problem.

In the 1.6L VTEC engine used in the 1992-95 Si/EX, the change in cam
profiles at about 4800 RPM was quite noticeable as a "bump" in power,
while the 1.7L VTEC in the 2002-05 EX has a seamless transition - except
for the wider than normal power band, one would never realize the VTEC
was there.

"And never forget, life ultimately makes failures of all people."
- A. Derleth

still just me wrote:

> Horsepower is, in
> a sense, a useless figure - you could throw away HP numbers and just
> cite torque @ RPM. But horsepower numbers are bigger, so manufacturers
> like those.

That's like saying electrical watts is a useless figure since it can
be extrapolated from volts and amps. The fact remains that most of
the time, you want to know wattage and not amperage.

Transmission gearing renders absolute motor torque basically
irrelevant-- as a metric of performance, it's horsepower that
counts.

Chalo

still just me <[email protected]> wrote:
> My beef is when people suggest that somehow auto engines change
> from using something called "torque" at low speeds to something
> called "HP" at high speeds.

They don't change, but when you compare a heavy truck and a sports
car both with 400HP you might get the idea...

--
MfG/Best regards
helmut springer panta rhei

"Tom Sherman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> In the 1.6L VTEC engine used in the 1992-95 Si/EX, the change in cam
> profiles at about 4800 RPM was quite noticeable as a "bump" in power,
> while the 1.7L VTEC in the 2002-05 EX has a seamless transition - except
> for the wider than normal power band, one would never realize the VTEC was
> there.

I've heard that the VTEC in the normal models is set up to be like that -
but the ones in the fast ones (Type-R over here) still have a distinct
bump - possibly to give the buyer reassurance that what they've bought is
working.

(does the second cam on a type R working between 6000 and 8000 rpm sound
about right? Part of the reason honda's NA engines manage such good specific
output is their ability to rev high.)

cheers,
clive

Helmut Springer writes:

>> My beef is when people suggest that somehow auto engines change
>> from using something called "torque" at low speeds to something
>> called "HP" at high speeds.

> They don't change, but when you compare a heavy truck and a sports
> car both with 400HP you might get the idea...

It's even worse with RR steam locomotives that were rated in tractive
effort and grate area to give an idea what it could pull and how fast.
Grate area is how large a firebox surface for burning fuel the boiler
had. Power of the most powerful engine built (UP Big Boy) was derived
from drawbar pull and speed, mainly on Sherman Hill over the
continental divide. That was 7000HP.

http://www.trainweb.org/jlsrr/bigboy/bigboy mainpage.htm
http://steamcad.railfan.net/bigboy.htm

Jobst Brandt

On 18 Jan 2008 01:59:18 GMT, [email protected] wrote:

>The simple answer is to supercharge, but that has even more headaches.
>Because the engine is compression limited, not being or wanting to be
>a Diesel, supercharged engines must be lower compression from the
>start. Their power band is broader but their fuel economy at lower
>(most prevalent) engine speeds is poor.

Not _that_ much lower. Compression is still at fairly normal levels in
a turbo or supercharged engine, it's just not at "performance engine"
levels. So, unless you have a large displacement engine, performance
before the blower kicks in is not outstanding. But as long as the
super or turbo charger is tuned to a reasonable band of performance,
the vehicle will still get better performance/mileage overall compared
to a similar performing NA engine. For those that want low as well has
high speed performance, dual turbos are the best solution.

Driving such a vehicle does typically require slightly different
techniques to maximize low speed performance but it's still adequate
and the overall balance and performance make it a winner.

>Don't think there aren't great minds at work in the auto industry.
>They go to great expense to solve these riddles. You are not going to
>do it from the keyboard or bicycle saddle for that matter. I spent
>interesting times around that work designing camshafts and other car
>parts.

But unfortunately they are often limited by factors other than what
they can design.

Helmut Springer wrote:

> still just me wrote:
> >
> > My beef is when people suggest that somehow auto engines change
> > from using something called "torque" at low speeds to something
> > called "HP" at high speeds.

> They don't change, but when you compare a heavy truck and a sports
> car both with 400HP you might get the idea...

Here in the USA, there is a tradition of using basically the same
engine for both light trucks and sports cars. Chevrolet's 350ci V-8
finds its way into Corvettes and Step-Vans alike, and the Dodge V-10
resides in both the Viper and in the largest sort of pickup truck.

The ignition and cam timing are different for these different
applications, to enhance low and middle RPM torque for the trucks and
top end horsepower for the sports cars.

Chalo

-snip engaging OT cars-
jim beam wrote:
> i have direct comparison of cam profile effects. two hondas, identical
> motors, one with the stock soh ["low rev"] cam, the other with a soh zc
> ["racing"] cam.

soh cam?

Acronymfinder wasn't helpful, web search turns up references to a man
named Cam Soh...
What is it?
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

Clive George wrote:
> "Tom Sherman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>> In the 1.6L VTEC engine used in the 1992-95 Si/EX, the change in cam
>> profiles at about 4800 RPM was quite noticeable as a "bump" in power,
>> while the 1.7L VTEC in the 2002-05 EX has a seamless transition -
>> except for the wider than normal power band, one would never realize
>> the VTEC was there.

> I've heard that the VTEC in the normal models is set up to be like that
> - but the ones in the fast ones (Type-R over here) still have a distinct
> bump - possibly to give the buyer reassurance that what they've bought
> is working.

Well the 1994 Si was certainly marketed more towards the performance
crowd than the 2005 EX Sedan, so it would not surprise me if this
difference was deliberate on Honda's part.

> (does the second cam on a type R working between 6000 and 8000 rpm sound
> about right? Part of the reason honda's NA engines manage such good
> specific output is their ability to rev high.)

Yes, I would imagine that some lower RPM torque would be sacrificed in
the Type R for high end power. High peak horsepower sells in that
market, even if the car is no faster overall.

"And never forget, life ultimately makes failures of all people."
- A. Derleth

"Tom Sherman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

>> (does the second cam on a type R working between 6000 and 8000 rpm sound
>> about right? Part of the reason honda's NA engines manage such good
>> specific output is their ability to rev high.)
>>

> Yes, I would imagine that some lower RPM torque would be sacrificed in the
> Type R for high end power. High peak horsepower sells in that market, even
> if the car is no faster overall.

I've not heard about the Type R's being slow at all. It might be a bit
painful on the ears to use the full power, since it's at the high end, but
the low end isn't sacrificed for that.

cheers,
clive

>In the work I did, the cam centers were the
>values that were timed (phased) to each other relative to
>piston TDC.
>Jobst Brandt

I'm assuming that these phased centers are advanced or retarded in
relationship to piston TDC timing , no?

Best Regards - Mike Baldwin

Michael Baldwin writes:

>> In the work I did, the cam centers were the values that were timed
>> (phased) to each other relative to piston TDC.

> I'm assuming that these phased centers are advanced or retarded in
> relationship to piston TDC timing , no?

When drawing this up the origin of the graph/plot of displacements is
zero degrees aka TDC of the division between exhaust and intake. That
gives a position/time slice of where the valves are at any time in the
cycle. As I said, "phasing" was not a common term, bu then it wasn't
in English either.

In most engines, exhaust valves are smaller than intake because
exhaust has lots of pressure and compression push behind it while
intake has atmosphere. On top of that, exhaust valves have a smaller
area to absorb heat from passing hot gas but the valve stems are often
the same size as the larger intake valves. For production this is an
advantage for valve guides that can be the same for both valves.

To visualize this better, there is a good dynamic model on Wikipedia:

See desmodromic section:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four-stroke_cycle_engine_valves

Jobst Brandt

Clive George wrote:
> "Tom Sherman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>> (does the second cam on a type R working between 6000 and 8000 rpm
>>> sound about right? Part of the reason honda's NA engines manage such
>>> good specific output is their ability to rev high.)
>>>

>> Yes, I would imagine that some lower RPM torque would be sacrificed in
>> the Type R for high end power. High peak horsepower sells in that
>> market, even if the car is no faster overall.

> I've not heard about the Type R's being slow at all. It might be a bit
> painful on the ears to use the full power, since it's at the high end,
> but the low end isn't sacrificed for that.

The higher changeover point from the low-speed cam lobes to the high
speed cam lobes means that the low-speed lobes need to work to a
considerable higher RPM (ca 6000 RPM versus ca 5000 RPM). This will, of
necessity, compromise low-end torque output.

It would not be surprising if an engine with slightly less top end power
but more midrange torque made the car as fast overall.

"And never forget, life ultimately makes failures of all people."
- A. Derleth

"Tom Sherman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Clive George wrote:
>> "Tom Sherman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...

>>> Yes, I would imagine that some lower RPM torque would be sacrificed in
>>> the Type R for high end power. High peak horsepower sells in that
>>> market, even if the car is no faster overall.

>> I've not heard about the Type R's being slow at all. It might be a bit
>> painful on the ears to use the full power, since it's at the high end,
>> but the low end isn't sacrificed for that.
>>

> The higher changeover point from the low-speed cam lobes to the high speed
> cam lobes means that the low-speed lobes need to work to a considerable
> higher RPM (ca 6000 RPM versus ca 5000 RPM). This will, of necessity,
> compromise low-end torque output.
>
> It would not be surprising if an engine with slightly less top end power
> but more midrange torque made the car as fast overall.

Not necessarily - provided it can be kept in the high end all the time,
which it can be, it'll be fastest the way it is.

'course in real life, the lazy man prefers the lower grunt of a turbo...

cheers,
clive

Clive George wrote:
> "Tom Sherman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Clive George wrote:
>>> "Tom Sherman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>>> news:[email protected]...

>>> I've not heard about the Type R's being slow at all. It might be a
>>> bit painful on the ears to use the full power, since it's at the high
>>> end, but the low end isn't sacrificed for that.
>>>

>> The higher changeover point from the low-speed cam lobes to the high
>> speed cam lobes means that the low-speed lobes need to work to a
>> considerable higher RPM (ca 6000 RPM versus ca 5000 RPM). This will,
>> of necessity, compromise low-end torque output.
>>
>> It would not be surprising if an engine with slightly less top end
>> power but more midrange torque made the car as fast overall.

> Not necessarily - provided it can be kept in the high end all the time,
> which it can be, it'll be fastest the way it is.

True, but one needs a close ratio gearbox to keep the engine in a narrow
power band, which only works on the race course and not the street. Note
that except for F1, pretty much all non drag racing events use rolling
starts. Your typical race car is not something that would work well in
stop and go traffic, which is not acceptable in a car sold for street use.

> 'course in real life, the lazy man prefers the lower grunt of a turbo...

Turbo lag is almost as bad as waiting for a slushbox to shift down.

On 2008-01-19, [email protected] <[email protected]> wrote:
> Michael Baldwin writes:

[...]
> In most engines, exhaust valves are smaller than intake because
> exhaust has lots of pressure and compression push behind it while
> intake has atmosphere. On top of that, exhaust valves have a smaller
> area to absorb heat from passing hot gas but the valve stems are often
> the same size as the larger intake valves. For production this is an
> advantage for valve guides that can be the same for both valves.
>
> To visualize this better, there is a good dynamic model on Wikipedia:
>
> See desmodromic section:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four-stroke_cycle_engine_valves

And better be quick before someone reverts Jobst's edits again :)

"Tom Sherman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Clive George wrote:
>> "Tom Sherman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...

>>> The higher changeover point from the low-speed cam lobes to the high
>>> speed cam lobes means that the low-speed lobes need to work to a
>>> considerable higher RPM (ca 6000 RPM versus ca 5000 RPM). This will, of
>>> necessity, compromise low-end torque output.
>>>
>>> It would not be surprising if an engine with slightly less top end power
>>> but more midrange torque made the car as fast overall.

>> Not necessarily - provided it can be kept in the high end all the time,
>> which it can be, it'll be fastest the way it is.
>>

> True, but one needs a close ratio gearbox to keep the engine in a narrow
> power band, which only works on the race course and not the street. Note
> that except for F1, pretty much all non drag racing events use rolling
> starts. Your typical race car is not something that would work well in
> stop and go traffic, which is not acceptable in a car sold for street use.

Ah - you perhaps missed that the powerband with the second cam isn't
actually that narrow - it may start high, but the engine does go a lot
higher than most car engines. So you don't need the very close ratio box.

cheers,
clive

Dear Jobst, my question was;

I'm assuming that these phased centers are advanced or retarded in
relationship to piston TDC timing , no?

Short answer is;
*Advance the cam timing for "low-end" power. *Retard the cam timing
for "peak" power.

Modern engines with variable camshaft timing do in fact have broader
power bands.

...but thanks for the Wiki stuff...the cut-away 4T, DOHC engine gif. was
especially fun...

Sir, there's really no need to continue this charade. You're
embarrassing yourself.

Sincerely & Best Regards Always

Mike Baldwin

[email protected] wrote:
> Michael Baldwin writes:
>
>>> In the work I did, the cam centers were the values that were timed
>>> (phased) to each other relative to piston TDC.

>> I'm assuming that these phased centers are advanced or retarded in
>> relationship to piston TDC timing , no?

> When drawing this up the origin of the graph/plot of displacements is
> zero degrees aka TDC of the division between exhaust and intake. That
> gives a position/time slice of where the valves are at any time in the
> cycle. As I said, "phasing" was not a common term, bu then it wasn't
> in English either.

that doesn't answer the question.

> In most engines, exhaust valves are smaller than intake because
> exhaust has lots of pressure and compression push behind it while
> intake has atmosphere. On top of that, exhaust valves have a smaller
> area to absorb heat from passing hot gas but the valve stems are often
> the same size as the larger intake valves. For production this is an
> advantage for valve guides that can be the same for both valves.

you're just floundering for relevancy jobst - and shooting wide by a
freakin' mile.

> To visualize this better, there is a good dynamic model on Wikipedia:
>
> See desmodromic section:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four-stroke_cycle_engine_valves

http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Four-stroke_cycle_engine_valves&action=history

the word of the day is: "undo"

Ben C wrote:
> On 2008-01-19, [email protected] <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Michael Baldwin writes:

> [...]
>> In most engines, exhaust valves are smaller than intake because
>> exhaust has lots of pressure and compression push behind it while
>> intake has atmosphere. On top of that, exhaust valves have a smaller
>> area to absorb heat from passing hot gas but the valve stems are often
>> the same size as the larger intake valves. For production this is an
>> advantage for valve guides that can be the same for both valves.
>>
>> To visualize this better, there is a good dynamic model on Wikipedia:
>>
>> See desmodromic section:
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Four-stroke_cycle_engine_valves

> And better be quick before someone reverts Jobst's edits again :)

lol!