SPD pedal fitting size(s)

RNK

Guest
Hello all,

before buying my first ever SPD pedals, I was wondering whether there
are different sizes and/or threads to be aware of when fitting the pedal
to the crank. Is this standardized or will they simply fit my '80s Raleigh?

Robin

"RNK" wrote:
> before buying my first ever SPD pedals, I was wondering whether there are
> different sizes and/or threads to be aware of when fitting the pedal to
> the crank. Is this standardized or will they simply fit my '80s Raleigh?

Any SPD pedal should work fine with your '80s Raleigh. See:
http://sheldonbrown.com/gloss_p.html#pedal

Art Harris

RNK wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> before buying my first ever SPD pedals, I was wondering whether there
> are different sizes and/or threads to be aware of when fitting the pedal
> to the crank. Is this standardized or will they simply fit my '80s Raleigh?
>
> Robin

Your Raleigh is almost certainly standard see:
http://sheldonbrown.com/gloss_p.html#pedal

Derek Hodges
Toronto

> before buying my first ever SPD pedals, I was wondering whether there are
> different sizes and/or threads to be aware of when fitting the pedal to
> the crank. Is this standardized or will they simply fit my '80s Raleigh?

Your Raleigh should be standard 9/16, just like any other current bike
(aside from kids models, which might be 1/2 inch).

But it's best that you bring your bike with you when you buy the shoes &
pedals, and the shop should be setting things up for you, including cleat
installation and teaching you how to use them.

--Mike Jacoubowsky
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com
Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA