Specialized Allez Elite or Trek 1500 (2006 models)

gdomingu

Jul 18, 2006
I currently mountain bike a lot and finally decided to get a road bike. I want to buy an mid entry level bike so that I don't have to start upgrading in by the end of the summer. So I went to my LBS and looked at the Specialized Allez Elite (2006) and the Trek 1500 (2006). The guy at the bike store said he favored the Allez, but just by personal preference.

1) Any big differences in the bikes? I road them a bit, but will go back and do a better test ride this weekend.

2) Any other similar bikes I should be looking at? My budget is around $1200.

3) How do I choose between the triple and dual chain ring configuration? What would be the advantage of going with only the dual?:confused:

Thank you!

gdomingu said:
I currently mountain bike a lot and finally decided to get a road bike. I want to buy an mid entry level bike so that I don't have to start upgrading in by the end of the summer. So I went to my LBS and looked at the Specialized Allez Elite (2006) and the Trek 1500 (2006). The guy at the bike store said he favored the Allez, but just by personal preference.

1) Any big differences in the bikes? I road them a bit, but will go back and do a better test ride this weekend.

2) Any other similar bikes I should be looking at? My budget is around $1200.

3) How do I choose between the triple and dual chain ring configuration? What would be the advantage of going with only the dual?:confused:

Thank you!
Ride them, and get the one that fits you best. They're both great bikes, and should have similar components. Tons of choices in that price range from other vendors as well.

Get a triple, unless you're a high-level racer trying to drop every last gram of weight, or you live where there are NO hills ...