Specialized Roubaix Pro v Giant TCR 0

hweissman

Nov 16, 2003
I'm interested in buying a full D/A bike; probably one with a CF frame. Because I am more interested in comfort than flat-out speed and performance I'm leaning towards the Specialized Roubaix Pro rather than the Giant. Anyone familiar with both of these bikes? I'd welcome your thoughts.

Originally posted by hweissman
I'm interested in buying a full D/A bike; probably one with a CF frame. Because I am more interested in comfort than flat-out speed and performance I'm leaning towards the Specialized Roubaix Pro rather than the Giant. Anyone familiar with both of these bikes? I'd welcome your thoughts.
Consider a comfort bike and save some bucks.

Hi hweissman. Wish I could say I had experience with both bikes; unfortunately, that person might be pretty hard to find because the Roubaix line is so new. I've got a good amount of experience on Giant TCRs, both aluminum and carbon, and can say that I've always liked them and found them a good value, and a good ride.

I'm sure the Roubaix is a quality machine as well, so it's going to come down to preference.

What's attracting you to the Specialized? A little insight could be helpful.

Originally posted by lokstah
Hi hweissman. Wish I could say I had experience with both bikes; unfortunately, that person might be pretty hard to find because the Roubaix line is so new. I've got a good amount of experience on Giant TCRs, both aluminum and carbon, and can say that I've always liked them and found them a good value, and a good ride.

I'm sure the Roubaix is a quality machine as well, so it's going to come down to preference.

What's attracting you to the Specialized? A little insight could be helpful.

Specialized offers more sizes and, at 5'11", 180 lbs I am just in-between Giant's M and L. The geometry on the Roubaix is a bit more "relaxed" than on the Giant. Both bikes appear to be excellent machines and plenty of bike for the buck. But I enjoy riding long more than I require flat-out speed for racing so I thought the Roubaix Pro would offer excellent performance, decent value and a bit more comfort.

Specialized offers more sizes and, at 5'11", 180 lbs I am just in-between Giant's M and L. The geometry on the Roubaix is a bit more "relaxed" than on the Giant. Both bikes appear to be excellent machines and plenty of bike for the buck. But I enjoy riding long more than I require flat-out speed for racing so I thought the Roubaix Pro would offer excellent performance, decent value and a bit more comfort.
Sounds like you've thought it out pretty well. Have you given either a test ride?

Sounds like you've thought it out pretty well. Have you given either a test ride?

No. That's why I'm soliciting the views of others. Both are unavailable at LBS. I have actually ordered the Roubaix Pro sight unseen and will test drive it when it arrives (Feb?). Hard to learn much from a test drive; especially because the bike isn't properly fitted to you yet. I've heard the Giant may be unavailable until March.

No. That's why I'm soliciting the views of others. Both are unavailable at LBS. I have actually ordered the Roubaix Pro sight unseen and will test drive it when it arrives (Feb?). Hard to learn much from a test drive; especially because the bike isn't properly fitted to you yet. I've heard the Giant may be unavailable until March.
Well alrighty then -- good luck with that. I should have my new ride all assembled around the same time... a custom Klein Q-Pro, Dura Ace 10-spd. We'll have to start a "SHOW OFF YOUR FEBRUARY BIKE" thread.

Well alrighty then -- good luck with that. I should have my new ride all assembled around the same time... a custom Klein Q-Pro, Dura Ace 10-spd. We'll have to start a "SHOW OFF YOUR FEBRUARY BIKE" thread.

That was my #3 choice. Great bike; just beautiful. I'm sure you'll enjoy it for many years. Happy trails.

I have a giant composite bike. Repaced my 2002 giant tcr 1 with it. I also demo'ed the Robaix Pro at the worlds in Hamiton. These bikes on the surface are very much alike. However, the inserts that Specialized is using drastically alter the ride. The giant is an uncompromising, no apologies race bike and it comes out in the ride. Fast, agile and stiff. The elastomer inserts the specialized is using take some of the road feel out of the bike. Might make for a more comfortable ride but if i'm spending that kind of money i want a to feel the road. The carbon tcr has taken that little bit of excessive road feel that the TCR 1 alloy had and muted it just enough. i guess it's up to you but after having ridden both bikes i still bought the TCR. also, the finish on the robaix is a very high gloss and i prefer the matte finish on the giant for it's stealthy non-flashy look.l

Originally posted by ewitz
I have a giant composite bike. Repaced my 2002 giant tcr 1 with it. I also demo'ed the Robaix Pro at the worlds in Hamiton. These bikes on the surface are very much alike. However, the inserts that Specialized is using drastically alter the ride. The giant is an uncompromising, no apologies race bike and it comes out in the ride. Fast, agile and stiff. The elastomer inserts the specialized is using take some of the road feel out of the bike. Might make for a more comfortable ride but if i'm spending that kind of money i want a to feel the road. The carbon tcr has taken that little bit of excessive road feel that the TCR 1 alloy had and muted it just enough. i guess it's up to you but after having ridden both bikes i still bought the TCR. also, the finish on the robaix is a very high gloss and i prefer the matte finish on the giant for it's stealthy non-flashy look.l

Excellent feedback. Thank you.

I have had my Specialized Roubaix Pro for about two months. All the things they said about absorbtion of rough roads, speed and handling are spot on with the PRO. I came off a Bridgestone RB-1 I have had for years and after trying various brands I picked the PRO. I did not get to ride the Roubaix Pro before buying but did ride the Comp! The new Shimano is worth the money! Go for the PRO, you will never look back. Best bike out there in the mass produced market. The frame is wonderful and Dura-Ace is the only way to go!
Stephen
[email protected]

Originally posted by ewitz

Just an FYI - the finish on the Roubaix Pro that I recently saw at my LBS is black matte finish. The Roubaix Comp (which is what I ended up purchasing) comes in the high bloss black.

Looked extensively at both the Giant and Roubaix for the past six months, as well as others such as Bianchi XL Carbon. Rode them both and did what research I could. Was sold on the Roubaix being the better bike. Also got some frame analysis stuff comparing the Giant Trek 110 and Look 486. Roubaix was better in most areas than these. In the States Specialized offer a lifetime warrantee on their frames. Don't know about everywhere else - but they are the same frame! Seat is **** so you would need to replace it prior to walking out the door.

As a last selling point I met up with a guy (racer) who has come off a Giant carbon to a Roubaix and he also said IHO that the Roubaix was much better.

End story - last nightI picked up my Roubaix - Ksyrium SL wheel upgrade, and Selle Flight saddle with titanium rails. Only problem now is the weather. It rained last night and today :( can't wait to ride it but so far I'm just looking at it!

I got the comp model - but I liked the pro frame so the LBS changed all the gear over to a pro frame for nicks.

Cycling weekly featured a review of the Spcialized Roubaix Pro a couple of weeks ago. The general view is that it is indeed live up to its claim of comfort. The ZERTS inserts as someone pointed out above do a lot to dampen the ride on the rough. Noteworthy is the longish wheelbase due to a longer chainstay and more fork rake for high speed stability necessary when riding on the rough. Also the steer tube is the longest on any production bike (for the biggest size).

There is one major gripe by the testers as well as the pros who have used it - the Zerts Pave seatpost tends to slip down.

I have the Roubaix Comp and have put about 600 miles on it.

This is my first serious road bike. Bike feels like it hovers over the road and is so comfy you can ride it forever.

stock saddle MUST be replaced. I also had the saddle poast slip problem until I returned to LBS and had then properly torque it with a torque wrench and have never had it slip again.

This bike is awesome to say the least

dennis dee said:
Cycling weekly featured a review of the Spcialized Roubaix Pro a couple of weeks ago. The general view is that it is indeed live up to its claim of comfort. The ZERTS inserts as someone pointed out above do a lot to dampen the ride on the rough. Noteworthy is the longish wheelbase due to a longer chainstay and more fork rake for high speed stability necessary when riding on the rough. Also the steer tube is the longest on any production bike (for the biggest size).

There is one major gripe by the testers as well as the pros who have used it - the Zerts Pave seatpost tends to slip down.
Hi, I've just bought a specialized roubaix expert - guess what, slipping seat post! How can a company get so much right with a bike (I'm stunned by the ride quality) but let then the rider down (literally) with such a basic problem? I'd be keen to hear other solutions apart from returning the bike/post or stumping up for a torque gauge.

"I'd be keen to hear other solutions apart from returning the bike/post or stumping up for a torque gauge."

I had problems with my carbon seat tube slipping in my carbon frame. I was in danger of stripping/busting the seat post bolts. This product is designed for this specific problem and did the trick:

http://www.tacx.com/producten.php?fl=true&language=EN&lvlMain=18&lvlSub=66&lvlSubSub=222&ttop=Carbon%20assembly%20compound

I have 550 mi on my 2007 Giant OCR C0 since mid December, and I love it. I like the "braze on" front dérailleur, inside the tube cable routing and such. My only complaint is the "lawyer lips" on the front vertical drop outs.

Giant TCR bicycles seem to be good enough for T-Mobil...

"The magenta-coloured squad not only clinched the overall teams classification for a third successive occasion - and the fourth in their history, they also took three stages (including both long time trials, at Rennes and Montceau-les-Mines), and also held the yellow jersey for four days."

Tailwinds!:)

Taskmaxter said:
Just an FYI - the finish on the Roubaix Pro that I recently saw at my LBS is black matte finish. The Roubaix Comp (which is what I ended up purchasing) comes in the high bloss black.

My 2006 Roubaix Pro is also black matte finish. The 2007 Pro models look quite different--with a curved toptube and coloful paint job.

Everything everybody has said about this bike is true--a superb combination of nimbleness, stability, and comfort. And the Dura Ace components work beautifully.

BornInZion said:
"I'd be keen to hear other solutions apart from returning the bike/post or stumping up for a torque gauge."

I had problems with my carbon seat tube slipping in my carbon frame. I was in danger of stripping/busting the seat post bolts. This product is designed for this specific problem and did the trick:

http://www.tacx.com/producten.php?fl=true&language=EN&lvlMain=18&lvlSub=66&lvlSubSub=222&ttop=Carbon%20assembly%20compound

I have 550 mi on my 2007 Giant OCR C0 since mid December, and I love it. I like the "braze on" front dérailleur, inside the tube cable routing and such. My only complaint is the "lawyer lips" on the front vertical drop outs.

Giant TCR bicycles seem to be good enough for T-Mobil...

"The magenta-coloured squad not only clinched the overall teams classification for a third successive occasion - and the fourth in their history, they also took three stages (including both long time trials, at Rennes and Montceau-les-Mines), and also held the yellow jersey for four days."

Tailwinds!:)
Thanks for this link - it looks like just what I need (I've stripped the thread on my present clamp) and I'll give it a try!

An even easier solution is to use some hair spray (Hair Hold) and spray a little on the carbon post. It will make it slightly tacky and resolves the issue. This is what I've done and many others I know have done as well.